ADHD and Fibro connection.

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

ADHD and Fibro connection.

Postby mellabella » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:09 pm

There is quite a bit of ADHD / ADD - Attention deficit (hyperactivity) disorder- in my family. My son has it and was first diagnosed as a child and was recently diagnosed again with adult adhd. ( it is now recognised as a life long condition ) My family, and peolpe who know me believe that I also have it and i am inclined to agree with them although i don't want to go through the strain of getting myself diagnosed. My youngest son appears to have got away with not having it. Having done my own research on ADHD and been involved with it in one way or another for the last 20 years - which is why i can look around my family and see a lot of it - i was surprised to recently come across articles making a connection between Fibro and Adhd with some researchers thinking they are in fact one and the same condition.. There has even been research showing that fibro symptoms are improved with a big decrease in pain and fatigue with adhd medications which is surprising as these A D H D meds work by stimulating the frontal lobes which would suppose that FMS and CFS are central processing problems rather than peripheral disorders of muscles and joints." which is perhaps why nothing ever seems shows up in tests.

Anyhow, I'm wondering what other people think about this? Is there anyone on the board who has adhd or thinks they may have adhd. Treated or untreated or perhaps a fibro sufferer who has some history of adhd in their family.

( P.S. if ive put this posting in the wrong section please feel free to move it to the right place.. i'll get the hang of it one day :oops: )

Mell.
mellabella
UKFM Member

Re: ADHD and Fibro connection.

Postby Ldyalb » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:39 pm

Hi I have dyspraxia, that's the official diagnosis. To be honest though I suspect ADD, Dyscalculia and Aspergers/ASD as well. They said dx dyscalculia as well would be pointless - I can request extra time for maths tests for graduate jobs with dyspraxia, and they said the aspergers was borderline mild aspergers/extreme ends of dyspraxic social problems and again - the problems concentrating are all part and parcel of dyspraxia too as these conditions all exist on a spectrum. I am not hyperactive in the traditional sense, never have been but was always 'odd' as a child and could never sit still, or concentrate for long, still can't mostly apart from when I get beautiful moments of hyperfocusing - very rarely on anything I SHOULD be doing though lol. There were two beautiful days in a row once though where I wrote 6000 of my 13000 word dissertation. That was great as I only had two weeks left to finish it at that point! :oops:

I do think it's logical that one neurological problem would make you more likely to have another though. I think my father has apsergers and from his description of some of his family members when he was a boy (he's 71) their 'quirks' sound very much to me like those of someone with an ASD. Autism would explain a lot of people on my father's side of the family, it explains my mother's brother also. My Mum and her Mum also have Fibro.
'Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy' - Anne Frank

TMJ, RLS, HMS, Fibro, Dyspraxia - ASD + Dyscalculia overlap, Eczema + Rosacea + suspected Psoriatic Arthritis.

Being an Adult is nothing like it said in the brochure...!
Ldyalb
UKFM Regular

Postby denys » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:43 pm

No Sorry nothing in my family :hugs:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby shazq » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:24 am

Nothing in my family either.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby Emerald » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:56 am

Also apparently a possibility of a link with Autism and CFS according to the W/P institute findings on XMRV. 2 of my nephews 1 ASD other Apergers as he is high functioning, originally diagnosed ADHD. My daughter A-Typical autism/Pathological Demand Avoidance Syndrome(PDA).

Im sure my sister has FM or CFS too as shes had problems for years. Once caught a simple infection after some dental work and almost died needing a trachea tube in her throat(sign to me her immune systems as shot as mine with FM & CFS).

Always hoping for a breakthrough that someone somewhere will stumble on summit to give us better answers.
Emerald
UKFM Member

Postby sjc » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:21 pm

Hello. Hope u r all ok. Yes, there maybe some. I have autism and fibro, as well a mild bipolar. Ive had issue with pain since a young girl. My mum had 2 put me in a push chair until I was 7 due to painful joints. My mum has fibro and had issues with learning. My nephew has autism and muscle problems. My sister gets joint problems and shown adhd symptoms when she was younger, even though she has never got a formal diagnosis. Both of my autism and fibro makes me sensitive to noise, touch, textures, and problems with concentration/attention span...so I know there's a link there. Take care. Xxxx :cat2:
sjc
UKFM Member

Postby LuRoll » Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:03 am

I have bipolar, but my boyfriend is convinced I have ADHD. Mostly due to how my brain seems to work. I can talk about several different things at the same time with random brain dumps coming out of my mouth as I'm talking. Then suddenly, distraction! and I cant hear a thing he is saying, then I look at him again and remember he was talking...

I also do the whole. Must do X thing today! "ohhh shiny things" distracted for hours. I'm hungy? forget I'm hungry, drink something, remember I need to pee. Pee, totally forget I was hungry.

10pm comes by....I remember I forgot to do that thing and I forgot to eat...how can you forget to eat?! I don't even know!

I have no idea if it's worth mentioning the possibility to my Dr though. I did struggle at school and I only seemed to excel at things I had an intrest in. Arts, crafts. I had intelligence for maths and science....I just found them boring, so I never applied myself to them and couldnt absorb what I was reading.
LuRoll
UKFM Member

Postby whitenancy » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:56 pm

family history of depression my son has ADHD dyspraxia and autism, i suspect i have the same. Begining to wonder if my 15 year old daughter my have fibromyalgia as she always seems to have unexplained aches and pains. think my sister prob has fibro to
whitenancy
UKFM Newbie

Postby Ldyalb » Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:52 pm

I forget to eat too. Sometimes I'll suddenly realise it's 11am and I haven't remembered to go to the loo, or eat and drink that morning and naturally I forgot to take my meds. It's such a pain. I forget everything, food in the oven, food on the hob, that the heating's on/off or the window's are open (ground floor flat). It sucks.
'Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy' - Anne Frank

TMJ, RLS, HMS, Fibro, Dyspraxia - ASD + Dyscalculia overlap, Eczema + Rosacea + suspected Psoriatic Arthritis.

Being an Adult is nothing like it said in the brochure...!
Ldyalb
UKFM Regular

Postby pixiepixie1982 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:25 pm

hi, found this post (not even sure how old it is) typing in ADD ADHD into the search section.

i was looking into sleeping to deep and sleep disorders etc. always trying to figgure out cause of my fibromyalgia and came accross ADD for the first time. never heard of it untill today.

i thought about how deep i sleep and know its not quite right. very very heavy, always has been, i fact so deep i wet the bed till i was 16 :oops: . like drunken sleep. when googling it was linked with ADD-ADHD. apparently (although im by no means a expert) if you get too much stage 4 sleep there is a dip in your oxegen levels and can cause or trigger ADD-ADHD

when looking into this it would totally make sence that i would have this too. going to make a doctors appt and disscus these links with them (so far they have been pretty good). i would also like a sleep assesment done too.

my brother and his son is autistic (my brother was only slight when young) my mum has fibro and her mum had alzimers at a young age????
x x x x x x x x
pixiepixie1982
UKFM Member

Postby shazq » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:00 pm

Keep us update Pixie. :goodluck1: with your gp. :hugs:
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby pixiepixie1982 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:45 pm

eeek! was one of the rubbish doctors, never even said everything i wanted to say b4 he shot me down and made me feel this big!!!!! thought i was past all that, but im still lucky that most where i live are nice. ill speak again to a one who cares!!!! :roll:
x x x x x
pixiepixie1982
UKFM Member

Postby ciderpig122 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:15 pm

AHA!

Ive suspected this for AGES too!

I had to have a 24 hr blood pressure monitor on my arm last week and collapsed in a panic attack at least 3 times, full on tears, hysteria, mild self harm until I had to take it off which will result in my meds being withdrawn now, but i cannot stand to have anything touch me, people, clothes, i DESPISE hugs and touchiness from family much to my mums despair, I hide from bright light and heat makes me physically ill.

i have a photographic memory and pass all exams 1st time with minimal effort but cant remember to turn the oven off, to eat lunch, basic things like appointments etc

*sigh*
Fibromyalgia, Elher Danlos Type Hypermobile, OCD, Asthma, PTSD.
Im not ill, I am just special :D
ciderpig122
UKFM Member

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems