Reoccurring Shingles

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Reoccurring Shingles

Postby h.louise » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:20 pm

Hi Everyone,

Could do with a little advice. Ive had shingles in the same area on and off for nearly 3 years now. It come and goes. I will get a burning aching pain in the back of my leg and then the next day they will appear on my bum cheek on the same side. They will stay there from a week to 2 weeks until they dry up properly and go leaving a purple scar. Then a month or so later i will get it again. Ive been to the doctors and he said there is nothing he can give me and he said that it takes a while to go, but it does go and then comes back in a slightly different area on the same bum cheek. Its come up again yesterday and i am in real agony with it and ive read up about shingles on a website and they say there ARE treatments the doctor can give you to help.

Any advice would be really appreciated,

Thanks.
h.louise
UKFM Member

Re: Reoccurring Shingles

Postby shazq » Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:21 pm

Hi
Sorry i cant help but just wanted to say that could you see another Gp about it? i have heard it is very painful. :hugs:
Hope you get it sorted. :goodluck1:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby FluppyPuffy » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:03 pm

This linky is from the NHS Choices site

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Shingles/Pages/Treatment.aspx

It expplains what can be done to help manage shingles. Like shaz has said, I'd try to see a different gp and take some info from the site to show what can be done for them. Some of the meds used are also used for FM as well :yikes: :yikes:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby denys » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:30 pm

Hope you get some help soon :hugs: :flowers:
Denys

denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby loubie » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:29 pm

hi :wave:
sounds very painful
i would definitely get a second opinion
there has to be something they can do :hugs: :hugs: :blowkiss:
loubie xx

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are
no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of
UKFibromyalgia.
loubie
UKFM Regular

Postby nutty1 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:25 am

:wave: you have my sympathy i had it all round back and under ribs .i had paint this purple stuff on ,going back 30 yrs ago .and it was expensive .but it is a nerve thing so they could give or advise you on something .try another dr. :fingerscrossed: you get sortd
nutty1
UKFM Regular

Postby budda » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:20 am

Hope you get something for it soon. :hugs:
budda
UKFM Regular

Postby h.louise » Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:57 pm

Thanks for all your posts. Iv had a break through. I got really frustrated yesterday and went to my doctors again. This time i asked him straight out to do something about it cos i couldn't cope with it anymore and within seconds he handed me over a prescription. The tablets are quite expensive and so doctors supposbly dont like giving them out.

Ive started on the course now so :fingerscrossed: they clear up for good this time.

Thanks again for posting :hugs:
h.louise
UKFM Member

Postby viota » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:03 pm

glad you finally got med's for it
viota
UKFM Member

Postby loubie » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:13 pm

good for you :hugs: :hugs:
:fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: that it dose the job
loubie xx

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are
no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of
UKFibromyalgia.
loubie
UKFM Regular

Postby cherryblossom » Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:49 am

Hi. :D I've never had shingles ( :fingerscrossed ) but my DD has had it twice in the last couple of years on her back and front near her ribs. As far as we're aware she's never had chickenpox which is supposed to give you the thing that causes shingles. I alaways feel for her when it flares up as it's so painful, :( she goes to the doc and he gives her some tablets to take which she says help a bit. It probably wouldn't be so bad except the poor thing's only 20! so I have every sympathy for you and hope it caalms down soon. All the best. Cherry :blowkiss:
cherryblossom
UKFM Member

Postby h.louise » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:22 pm

Well tablets have brought on a second larger lot of it. It even seems like its spreading further this time :cry: so frustrated with it! Going back to the doctors again this week, see what they have to say. Its getting close to the bottom of my back now so am really paranoid about being able to see it over the top of my jeans :oops: im only 21 myself and fed up of having to try to walk backwards out of the room to try to stop my fella seeing it! I feel so embarrassed of it. The few people who do know i have it avoid me like the plague when it flares up. Sorry for moaning just feeling sorry for myself and angry! :needhug:
h.louise
UKFM Member

Postby shazq » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:29 am

Hi Louise
Sorry to hear you have it back again. :( dont beat yourself up, its not your fault. I am not surprised you are getting frustrated with it, i think anyone in your shoe would be. :hugs: :flowers:

:goodluck1: at the docs hope this time they can stop it coming back. :fingerscrossed:
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby denys » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:38 pm

Please dont feel angry at yourself, you cant help it :fingerscrossed: the tablets will now start to help and you can get some relief from it :hugs: :hugs:
Denys

denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby Moo Moo » Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:45 am

Hi
I have shingle on and off for year - on the right side of my chin or up my left nostril, which though extremely painful would rater that than on my face in full view!! When I was younger I used to tell people it was a graze when it was drying up, easier to explain. It starts with a tingling stabbing sensation a couple of days before then the blisters breakout and the real pain begins. The actual area will scab up and usually go (in about 7 - 10 days)leaving a red area but the pain which goes round my face and head can stay for weeks. There are treatment such as Aciclovir tablets if taken at the first sign, for you the pain in your leg, that can sometimes stop it dead but not always and also getting into the Dr's in time can cause problems so need to have them ready. The other more natural treatment that works for me is Apple cider vinegar. Has to be the proper stuff, preferably organic and you drink a certain amount a day - I find it best diluted in warm water. This for me anyway definitely ease the symptoms quicker and eases the pain by at least 70%. Sorry I can't give you the correct dosage but if you look up Apple Cider Vinegar and shingles sure you'll get the info needed (on my phone so can't open another window!) You can also apply it to the area and it helps dry it out much quicker. Lastly just talking about this is making my chin tingle - always get it after a cold or other illness or stressful period - so look out for the signs and treat it asap, within hours not days to get the best effect. Good luck and I hope this helps x Karen x
Moo Moo
UKFM Member

Next

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems