FM and periods (sorry to the men!)

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

FM and periods (sorry to the men!)

Postby Claire Spong » Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:12 am

Do any of the ladies on here find that the fibro gets worse when you are on your period?
My symptoms seem to get loads worse from the moment I ovulate, which is often extremely painful in itself (I have polycystic ovaries as well as the FM) all the way until the end of my period. Then 2 weeks later it starts all over again.
Dx March 2011
Read my blog about how I'm coping with finding out I have Fibro on: http://fibronewbie.blogspot.com/
Claire Spong
UKFM Member

Re: FM and periods (sorry to the men!)

Postby Adele » Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:04 am

definitely. from ovulation the pain increases until my period starts and the awful cramps start. i have irregular periods and i am waiting to come on. i am in sooooo much pain. my boobs are like airbags ready to explode as well.

:hugs: adele
Adele
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:43 pm

Yes it does, there has been other posts regarding this problem so have a look through and you may find some helpful hints :wave:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby budda » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:57 pm

Am so glad to say i dont have this problem because I went through the change of life when i was 41years,hope your GP can help you with this problem. :hugs: :fingerscrossed:
budda
UKFM Regular

Postby Char1otteBrown » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:13 am

I understand what you are going through as I'm the same. I'm as regular as clockwork so pain, tiredness and cramps appear every 28 days and last for 72 hours. I really look forward to the next bout (NOT). Day to day, I suffer so adding this every month practically kills me. I have to prepare everything in advance, knowing that I will be useless for 72 hours. I can't wait for the menopause......... :fingerscrossed:
Char1otteBrown
UKFM Newbie

Postby stormlaw » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:47 pm

Hi,

I definately have found a connection with the pain and periods. I had been on the contraceptive injection for years, since coming off the injection (a year ago, just to give my body a break from "unnatural" hormones) I have found that my pain levels are much higher when I get an attack or flare up and are generally that bit more noticable day to day. From the moment my periods started back up again (around Dec 2010) my pain levels increased. I think my body is just about getting back into a natural rhythm now, menstrually speaking, but the pain levels haven't decreased.

I mentioned to the dr about starting the injection again and if there was a correlation between FM and periods, but she said that it was unlikely and that I'd be better off staying off contrapception for a while and letting my body get used to the natural hormones. :swear1:

Must say it's been "interesting" for those closest to me, :yikes: I haven't been in the best of moods since my hormones are even more all over the place now! :crazy:

Oh and I seem to get a lot more tired a lot quicker too :(

Hope that everyone feels as good as they can do xxx :grouphug:
stormlaw
UKFM Newbie

Postby guesstimation » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:27 pm

This is something I have recently discovered I suffer from, it's taken me a good while to put two and two together but I have 4 days at a certain time of month where I can barely do nothing, and the pain is excrutiating full blown migraines and aches, some time before and after I am worse then "normal" but those 4 days are always hell. It is also on my long list things to speak to the doc about on the next visit! I never used to feel like this with periods, I got off very lightly in the past and it is relatively new to me like my other symptoms so I believe it is all connected
guesstimation
UKFM Member

Postby MichelleJ » Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:34 pm

I'm the same. For me its the week running up to and the week of my period. I'm normally regular as clock work but they have been a bit off recently, only a day or so. These weeks are my worst and are pure hell- pain alot worse, migraines twice a week often with sickness, sleep in worse, sweats are worse. Then the pain of the period itself too. I take tranexamic acid to reduce the bleeding as they are so heavy without it and have took that for years. I had endometriosis a few years back which they removed, not sure if I still have some but judging by the pain I'm guessing I do. I also went through ivf/icsi 6 or 7 years back and had 2 courses and that in itself caused no end of problems for me. Then it never even worked! We adopted instead in the end. Glad I'm not alone in this, thought it might just be me Its something I want to discuss again with my G.P. I mentioned it to the rheumy on diagnosis and he said can't do anything at the moment but maybe now they will.
Dx with fibromyalgia m.e/Cfs and asthma
MichelleJ
UKFM Member

Postby lynn22 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:10 pm

Hi all, I have very bad periods and painful ovulation. About 5 years ago I had the minera coil fitted, which oddly enough is about when my symtoms started and although I kept telling them is was painful they said it was OK, by then I was weighing up the fact that it was stopping the bleeding and maybe I could live with the pain, well about four years after it was fitted my Fibro was getting worse, and one day the pain in my abdomen was so bad my OH rushed me to hospital, anyway it turned out the my coil was infected and was put on 3 lots of antibiotics, it was removed a few days later - they could not do it straight away as they did not want the infection to spread untill I had some antiboitoics in my system - was this infected all along :?: as nobody had checked it properly. I often wonder if this was the cause of the Fibro :dunno:
Anyway now they are going to do an Ablation to stop the bleeding - I have blocked tubes with fluid on them, fibroids and PSO - if this does not work they will do an hysto and tbh I wish they would this first, because the thought of an ablation makes me more nervous.
lynn22
UKFM Member

Postby Adele » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:31 pm

you poor thing :hugs: thank goodness the infection was finally found. ablation doesn't sound nice, i suppose, but at least it's day surgery and you should recover quicker than if you have a hysterectomy. ultimately though it should be your choice and if you want a hysterectomy find a surgeon who will do it for you.

i wish you well, best wishes, adele :flowers:
Adele
UKFM Member

Postby Claire Spong » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:07 am

Thanks for all the replies, glad to know I am not alone in this!

Yesterday I ovulated as I had pains in the pelvic area all day. And so once again today I now feel nauseous and my temperature keeps spiking which makes me feel even worse. Was in a lot of pain yesterday evening too. Have decided to work from home today so I can grab a rest later, not sure that work will be happy but tough, I have to do what I can to cope with it and suffering a 2 hour journey would be stupid when feeling this rough! And of course the bosses are men so it's not something you can really explain to them! :shock: :oops:
Dx March 2011
Read my blog about how I'm coping with finding out I have Fibro on: http://fibronewbie.blogspot.com/
Claire Spong
UKFM Member

Postby budda » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:59 pm

Hope you are feeling better soon Claire, sending you some soft :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:
budda
UKFM Regular

Postby denys » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:01 pm

:fingerscrossed: you feel a bit better soon Claire :flowers: :flowers: xx
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby thebryans » Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:10 pm

Hi Claire,
Sorry to hear you are suffering so bad,
I would push for a hysterectomy, I had one when I was 33yrs old due to endemetrosis & fibroids, & really bad heavy periods, that lasted 21days 5 days off and back on again, docs tried evry type of meds, and loads of laparocopies, till in the end they had to do the hysterectomy...
Turns out to be the best thing I ever did, The op is not half as bad as they say, I had mine friday lunchtime, was out of bed same day, and went home on the monday morning,
And yes I had the full op, got 8in scar, but boy rather that than the awful pain I had before,
Hope you feel better soon, & same to everyone else who is suffering
very soft :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:
Loraine xxxxx
thebryans
UKFM Member

Postby Claire Spong » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:47 pm

Have thought about a hysterectomy but I'm 36 and don't have any kids yet and although I know the chances of having them now are slim due to age and polycystic ovaries and the practicalities of having them with fibro would be mad but I am not sure that I want to give up the possibility so finally just yet!

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk
Dx March 2011
Claire Spong
UKFM Member

Next

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems