Fibromyalgia and Infertility or problems concieving

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Postby Schnoodle » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:37 pm

Hi There - apologies if this isn't in the right place, i couldn't decide if it should go here or not!?

Does anyone know if there is a link between Fibro and infertility or having problems concieving? I have looked on the internet but found conflicting information.

Myself and my hubby have been trying for a baby for about 18 months now - i know everyone is different and some people take longer to concieve that others but i cant help but wonder if there is a link between them both. i have a regular cycle and know i ovulate every month.

I know a lot of people with fibro also have endometriosis or ibs but as far as i am aware, i don't have either, however i have never been tested for them admittedly.

I am trying to encourage my husband to go to the drs about it together but he is reluctant - i dont think he wants to have his bits looked at although i have assured him if anything its my bits they would look at,not his! (i think i put him off after telling him he may need to give a sample of his swimmers at some point in the future)

Obviously i know there potentially may be an issue with one of us or both of us that may be unrelated to my having fibro, but i was wondering if anyone has any experience in things like this?

Thankyou in advance.

Schnoodle

x
Diagnosed with severe fibromyalgia/cfs febuary 2009.
Schnoodle
UKFM Member

Re: Fibromyalgia and Infertility or problems concieving

Postby budda » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:48 pm

As far as i know there is people with FM who have had children,someone will come along and be able to give you more info on this. sorry i cant help you.
budda
UKFM Regular

Postby Roseofsharon » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:50 pm

Hi Schnoodle, I am not sure whether there is a link or not. However annecdotal only I too have had problems with that side of things and my consultant when I had an ectopic recently barely seemed to blink at my Fibro, and thought that my problems I've had in the past were more to do with my ex than me, so I really don't know. ?I'm sorry I couldn't be any moe help.

However I would say that if you and your hubby have been trying for that long, drag him to the dr's kicking and screaming if you have to, but get it checked out! Usually the advice seems to be have things looked at after a year of actively trying.

I hope there's someone out there who can give you more info.
Roseofsharon
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:15 pm

Hi I have 4 children so it didnt affect me.
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby MammaT » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:24 am

Hi I've had fibro for over 10years 2 kids before and 3 after so didn't affect me I actually felt a little better whilst I was pregnant .I thought I was because I wasn't taking all my meds ? So after the birth I didnt take my meds but that didn't work ! I'd say get hubby checked 1st before you think it yourself !! Hope this helps x
MammaT
UKFM Newbie

Postby lynn22 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:47 am

Hi, I don't think there is a link and there are plenty of Fibromites who have had children, so it is more likley something seperate to the fibro. When you first go to the doc's they will check you out, blood tests ect and then if nothing is found with them they will do a laparoscapy (spelling?) to see what is going on inside. The only thing your OH will have to do is give a sample of his swimmers, but he does this at home!! then gets it to the nearest hospital within the hour, in a covered bag and honestly there is nothing for him to be :oops: about, they do loads of these everyday, and it's the only imput he makes, so to speak :lol:, at least this is what happened to me and my OH although it was quite a few years ago, but don't think things have changed much.
:goodluck1:
lynn22
UKFM Member

Postby Ldyalb » Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:32 pm

I also think it's un connected to your fibro. My Mum has fibro and managed me, her Mum also has it and she had 4, they've both had it since 14 and 17 respectively. Quite a few people on here seem to have kids as well.

I think the advice is to get checked out after a year so I'd definitely go to the Drs after 18 months, at least you're young so if there is a problem you've got plenty of time to work on it :) but sometimes these things can take a while.

:goodluck1:
'Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy' - Anne Frank

TMJ, RLS, HMS, Fibro, Dyspraxia - ASD + Dyscalculia overlap, Eczema + Rosacea + suspected Psoriatic Arthritis.

Being an Adult is nothing like it said in the brochure...!
Ldyalb
UKFM Regular

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:49 pm

I've only got one and he was pre-FM dx, altho I did have a lot of symptoms off and on in the years before. Also DS was a happy and surprise accident, so I don't know if it would have given me any problems for a planned nappy event.

From the little I have learnt from people trying for a baby,the general sort of advice from drs is, if nothing has happened after 12 months or so, then it's an idea to start looking into whether there could be a problem. Not sure how you can get DH to go with you, apart from being honest with him.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems