FM and Autonomic Dysfunction???

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

FM and Autonomic Dysfunction???

Postby F1Lee » Wed May 04, 2011 8:38 am

Hi all recently my wife has made peace with her FM and has started accepting that there are certain things about the condition that will stop her from dong things she wants to under certain circumstances.

So she has been less stubborn when needing to rest and just hang back a bit and plan more.

Then just before christmas her nan had a stroke and she started going to the hospital everyday which was ok as it was the local and she got a lift everyday so that wasn't so bad then they moved her nan to a stroke ward 30 miles away and she still continued to go although we tried to pace more and fit in more sleep to manage, then when she was released to go home it was around the time her mother was going on holiday so my wife said she wold go stay with her nan so as to ease her back into the house and with 3 carers a day to help with the rehab, she was there for 2 weeks and afterwards was nearly totally worn out but she became so concerned with her nan's health would not listen to the facts that she needed to rest up as a flare up wold be on it's way.

Well eventually the flare up caught up with her and she became very very bad and got an ear infection and had to rest for about 3 days, afterwards she seemed to be okish but then started to feel extremely tired all the time and usually she is cold all the time and she started feeling very hot like flushes so she went to the Dr and had blood tests for menopause all came back clear and fine.

Then she went down the other day as she was feeling really bad and went to see if there was anything the Dr could do as she doesn't take any meds apart from paracetamol and ibuprofen as none work really after about 2 months and he did a blod pressure test on her and nearly fell off his chair as it was so low the he didn't know how she was walking and talking with her BP so low and has now sent her for a tilt table test to see if she has Autonomic Dysfunction [Dysautonomia].

Definition
Dysfunction of the autonomic nervous system (ANS) is known as dysautonomia. The autonomic nervous system regulates unconscious body functions, including heart rate, blood pressure, temperature regulation, gastrointestinal secretion, and metabolic and endocrine responses to stress such as the "fight or flight" syndrome. As regulating these functions involves various and multiple organ systems, dysfunctions of the autonomic nervous systems encompass various and multiple disorders.

I was wondering if anyone else on here has the same or knows anymore about it at the moment as the Dr is pretty sure she has got it but needs to do the test 1st.
F1Lee
UKFM Newbie

Re: FM and Autonomic Dysfunction???

Postby denys » Wed May 04, 2011 9:15 am

Hi I dont know about having AD but most of us have problems with temperature control, blood pressure and the stress (fight or flight) and therefore have anxiety problems they seem to go together with FM :fingerscrossed: for your wife here's hoping she gets back on track soon and tell her :goodluck1: with the tests sending some gentle :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: and :flowers: :flowers: :flowers: her way
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby shazq » Wed May 04, 2011 10:14 am

Hi
The hospital always comment on my BP saying its low but i think its just normal for me, after operations they have to keep me on oxygen longer then normal and when doing my obs they tell me to take deep breaths.

Hope your wife feels better soon. :hugs: :flowers:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby F1Lee » Tue May 17, 2011 6:52 am

Thank you for the replies and support she is finding it hard to adjust to the new restrictions her body is placing on her after learning to deal with the FM after 5 yrs but we are just waiting to see what happens next.
F1Lee
UKFM Newbie

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems