its easy to blame fm

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

its easy to blame fm

Postby chopper » Thu May 05, 2011 6:46 pm

I know when you have fm, you think that every symptom is related to It, but does anyone know if your finger nails start bending under and have vertical ridges on them could it be caused by the condition
chopper
UKFM Member

its easy to blame fm

Postby Niki d » Thu May 05, 2011 7:52 pm

Hi chopper,
I have loads of problems with my nails my tend to detach themselves from the nail bed so they are only attached at the bottom and not the sides. I have to tape them down as it really makes you wanna swear if I catch one.

But my doctor 
tells me you get nail changes will things are active I have psorisas and PA so it could be that or the fibro. That's the trouble with fm
You dont know were it starts or ends.

Hope that helps hugs niki 
Niki d
UKFM Member

Re: its easy to blame fm

Postby denys » Thu May 05, 2011 11:37 pm

I have problems with my nails splitting vertically and ridges, but dont know whether its FM related or to do with meds etc :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby Ldyalb » Fri May 06, 2011 8:36 am

I would see your GP about that one just to make sure. Sometimes our nails can have problems if we aren't absorbing enough of certain vitamins in to our bodies so your GP might want to check your bloods to see if there's anything you can take to help them improve.

My Rheumy made a big deal in a letter he wrote to my GP that my nails were perfectly normal, not sure why though but it's always worth getting anything new checked out.

My Mum has always had weak, brittle nails (she also has fibro) so she has to keep them short. I'm the opposite, they're strong and can grow very long like my Dad's. Think it also helps that I drink obscene amounts of milk, esp when I was young as I hated water and Mum didn't want me to live on coke and squash :) - if my nails suddenly weakened I would see my GP, esp if they're bending - sounds painful :( :hugs:
'Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy' - Anne Frank

TMJ, RLS, HMS, Fibro, Dyspraxia - ASD + Dyscalculia overlap, Eczema + Rosacea + suspected Psoriatic Arthritis.

Being an Adult is nothing like it said in the brochure...!
Ldyalb
UKFM Regular

Postby HazelB » Fri May 06, 2011 9:18 am

i have very weak/brittle nails with ridges ... and they have got considerably worse over the years. Cant say for definite if its the FM that is making them weaker ... or would I have the same problem even without FM .

my daughter has just started as an avon representative; and I have bought a few nail care products which strengthen the nails ...only been using them a couple of days - so will be interesting to see if they make any difference xxx
(soft hugs)
Hazel xxx
HazelB
UKFM Member

Postby chopper » Fri May 06, 2011 6:35 pm

Thanks guys, as always for the advice :wave:
chopper
UKFM Member

Postby motherelephant » Sat May 07, 2011 2:04 pm

Our nails can show health professionals a lot ,thats why when examining us they check our nails .Having also hypothyroidism has taught me never to ignore new symptoms .Many of hypothyroid symptoms overlap with Fibro .Just for peace of mind get it checked out by your GP .Hope all goes well .Motherelle .xx
Like sunshine in the morning, may this brighten up your day and show you that you're thought of in a warm and loving way.
motherelephant
UKFM Regular

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems