Thyroid levels all over the place

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Thyroid levels all over the place

Postby MairiHarper » Fri May 06, 2011 11:08 am

Hi

I've had underactive thyroid for 20 years but in the last 12 months, the levels have changed from too low, to way too high. Does anyone else have this type of problem? :dunno:
MairiHarper
UKFM Member

Re: Thyroid levels all over the place

Postby shazq » Fri May 06, 2011 2:43 pm

Hi
Sorry i cant help but know a number of other members do have problems with thyroid so i am sure they will be along to help you.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby motherelephant » Fri May 06, 2011 5:45 pm

Hello mariharper (sorry if i said this wrong haha)
I have been having probs with my Thyroid for the past 6 years ,my gp wasn't much help so I decided to try and do some research myself .I did find out a couple of things ,maybe you know them already . I found out that you have to take your thyroxine at least half an hour before you eat or drink anything .Also there are things that can hinder Thyroxine absorbtion like iron tablets .I'm still trying to sort mine out as i seem to have a really bad time ,i get my levels checked and they have risen so they increase my thyroxine i'm fine for a few weeks then i start to feel bad again but because they checked me a few weeks ago and i had a normal reading they wont check me again.
I have had more problems since going through the menopause . Has your life changed in anyway ? are you taking your tablets at a different time ? At the moment im trying a little experiment ,i seem to feel much worse when i have been in the sun although only for 10mins at a time ( to get some vit d ) .If you have a good Gp maybe he could refer you too an Endocrinologist .We have enough to cope with ,with the Fibro without Hypo probs as well . There is always the problem as well that Hypo symptoms can over lap with Fibro .I hope you get sorted soon .Big cottonwool hug Motherelle.x
Like sunshine in the morning, may this brighten up your day and show you that you're thought of in a warm and loving way.
motherelephant
UKFM Regular

Postby smoky » Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:00 pm

I too am underactive thyroid and have found that since having fibro too my levels are constantly falling. I have increased my dosage from 100mcg to 175 in 4 years!

However I also know that there are things that can affect the levels :

SUNSHINE; in order to process the vitamin E? from the sun your bidy needs more thyroxin; in the summer therefore you are likely to drop

SOJA; you mustnt eat any soja products as they can severely affect your thyroid levels

STRESS!!

NON-BRANDED TABLETS; in France the govt has just completed a study on the efficacy of branded thyroxin tabs compared to non branded. The initial results were so alarming that they have forbidden the prescription of non-branded thyroxin to all french patients until further notice; apparently the absorption rates were all over the place for non branded tabs;

I was sceptical of the above research but agreed to change brands and was astounded at the change in my daily levels; I no longer sweat mid morning as I get a rush of thyroxin and I feel much less tired at the end of the day.

(I live in France where they are much more open to possibilities of levels being changeable and also to the patient stating where in the band of OK levels they feel ok - for me I have to be nearly hyper to feel 'normal'; in the uk I was told to accept!)

Good luck in this :D
smoky
UKFM Member

Postby motherelephant » Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:18 pm

Hi Smokey what do you mean by non branded Thyroxine ? I take levothyroxine one is by Goldsheid and the other is by almus .

I was interested to read what you said about the sun ,seems my therory was right .We had a week of sunshine recently and i tried to go out in it for 10 mns everyday but I stared to feel very unwell. I mentioned this to my Endocrinologist and he said there wasn't a connection . It's all a blooming nightmare there is noone to rely on in this country .I would be grateful for any more imformation you have Smokey .I know what foods to avoid but anything else would be a great help .Thankyou .Motherelle x
Like sunshine in the morning, may this brighten up your day and show you that you're thought of in a warm and loving way.
motherelephant
UKFM Regular

Postby smoky » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:15 pm

I am sorry for taking a while to get back to you

I will try to explain more clearly as after years in France and fibro fog kicking in well on a hectic week my english is deserting me!

I now have to take Merck non copy thyroxine (ie they created the first pill form)

I used to take another brand which was not Merck but a copy (so much cheaper for the health service) It was nowhere as efffective.

Is this any clearer??? It seems not to me

Generally I would recommend insisting on a top name brand of thyroxine to see if it helps??

As for the sunshine enjoy it but accept that your symptoms will increase (mine is fatique) In the uk my docs all told me the reaction to summer was in my mind; I knew the symptoms ans so... my Doc in France looked appalled when I told her this and said well we all know there is an effect! Not everything here is better.... Fibro is not recognised as a disability in france so if you become very ill (and luckily I am not) then there is no support
smoky
UKFM Member

Postby motherelephant » Sat Jul 02, 2011 5:03 pm

Thanks Smokey yes i understand what you mean .Its going to be a struggle getting what i need .I find the brand goldshield is best for me but dont seem able to get it all the time .They have just changed my brand again and my hair is falling out terribly ,worst ever .I had my bloods done last week again as i have been waking up early in the morning sweating ,going to gp next thursday to see the results .Thing is he thought i might be on too much Thyroxine ,i think im not on enough or its the change in meds brand.I have had the axiety feelings again but they are only in the morning when i wake. Other people with hypo talk about having T3 and T4 checked my gp only ever does TSH .I asked about T3 and he tried to get them to test me but they wouldn't .It is one constant battle .I will let you know how i get on .Do you have auto-immune ? Thanks for replying Takecare Motherelle .xx
motherelephant
UKFM Regular

Postby smoky » Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:29 pm

yep
I have diagnosed fibro too; luckily only in a very mild way... very stiff morning and evening; pain on changes of weather or if I get my hands wet (ie rain on them or a swim in the sea!) and odd slepp managed by ami. I got it after a bout of slap cheek virus; but there is a definite pattern of auto immune conditions in my family; dad, uncle, sister and me!

Take care and try not to get too stressed ; the system is blinking annoying in the uk, but in the end there is nothing you can do about it so just try to stay calm and look after yourself! :D :D
smoky
UKFM Member

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems