[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Mirtazapine

Mirtazapine

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Mirtazapine

Postby Donnacross » Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:32 pm

Hi all,

After 9 months ( and a bit more) my doctor has finally decided to put me back on some medication. Last June (2010) I was taken off all my meds due to pregnancy. He has prescribed me mirtazapine. I've been taking them for 14 days now. My moods are horrible. I'm snappy and irritable. I'm so very tired. And I've found that it has actually made my FM in my shoulder worse!

Has anyone else taken mirtazapine? I'd love to know what others experiences are with it. I had a tough time after my baby was born. When he was 4 week I was taken into hospital with what rediscovered (after 3 hospital stays over 3 months) was pregnancy related gall stones and severe pancreatitis. I'm lucky to be here really. But since coming out of hospital I've struggled to cope.

I really don't think I'm getting enough support with my FM. I used to take 3 amitryptaline at night and either dihydrocodiene or tramadol with paracetemol and naproxen. Can anyone help?

Donna
I became insane with long intervals of sanity
Donnacross
UKFM Member

Re: Mirtazapine

Postby geordiescarer » Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:47 pm

Hello Donna
Congratulations on the baby :goodluck2: hope all is going well :-D
I am the sole carer to my husband who, along with other illnesses, suffers from FM :(
He was prescribed Mirtazpine approx. 5 months ago by his GP to help with his sleep problems and also to pick up his mood abit.
For the first few weeks he was fine, sleeping, a lot better mood wise and we began to think that at long last we were getting somewhere :-D
Then approx. 2 months ago he started to feel really ill, lethargic, the moods came back and was generally out of sorts with himself - things just continued like this for a couple more weeks, he was even admitted into hospital overnight for observation!! (to be honest with you I was beginning to think that there was something seriously wrong with him - he was in immense pain and very ill)
We spoke to the GP and stopped taking the Mirtazapine (although he has had to take Diazepam for three weeks to counteract the withdrawal) but you wouldn't believe the difference - I have got my hubby back :lol: although he still has the sleep problems and the symptoms that FM brings with it!!
I would recommend you talk to your GP, and whatever you do don't just stop taking the Mirtazapine, :nono: me personally would say GET OFF THEM ASAP :evil:
Hope this helps Donna and I hope you are feeling much better soon xxx
Karen
geordiescarer
UKFM Member

Postby Donnacross » Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:46 pm

Thanks Karen!

Really appreciate your advice on this. One lady I know her husband was prescribed mirtazapine for pain after he was involved in a ied attack in Afghanistan. He was prescribed it for PTSD though but had to come off it.

My appetite is through the roof also! So hungry all the time. Babies well. He's a beautiful and happy little man but my health is deteriorating so much. I haven't bee able to bath him yet. Gets me so very upset. I just think I need more support on this from the GP.

My husband is amazing. He's really supportive. I think I need something else.....
Donnacross
UKFM Member

Postby shazq » Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:26 pm

Hi Donna

Congrats on the birth of your son. :hugs: :clap: :clap:

With most meds they can take up to 4 weeks to start working so try to give them another couple of weeks to see if things change, if you feel they are not doing anything after that time scale then go back to see your GP.

Have you asked your GP to put you back on Ami`s? & Tramadol? i would ask them if the Mirtazapine is not working for you.

Have you another GP in your surgery who you could see that will be more supportive? :goodluck1:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby Donnacross » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:04 am

Thanks hon!

I just feel my moods are so very low and I'm so very irritable. Paranoid even :(
Even the other meds didn't help so much. I feel such an old lady sometimes. I'm only 28!

The only other GP in the practice is his wife :@
Donnacross
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:39 pm

:xmaswave1: :xmaswave1: Donna and big congratulations on the birth of your bouncing baby boy :blowkiss: :blowkiss: :blowkiss:

I was discussing anti-ds with my GP very recently as I wasn't sure if mine were helping much so was wondering about trying a different one. One thing he said about swapping onto a new anti-d that stuck in my mind was the fact that during the changeover, things can get worse while your body adjusts to the new med and the other one works its way out. Reading what you've said made me wonder if that's the kind of thing you're experiencing at the moment. If so, then hopefully soon it will start to ease off for you :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed:

I'm with what shaz has said about sticking with them as well. However long your doctor said it could take to get used to them, stick with them and see what happens. If you still feel bad with them, then they may not be the right med for you. Like all things FM, time plus trial and error means it can take a while to find what's right for you :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Roseofsharon » Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:47 pm

Hi Donna Congratulations on the new baby.

I have been on Mirtazapine for months. When I went into Counselling I had been on Mirtazapine for a few weeks and I said to her that I wasn't sure that it was working for me, and was also told to stick with it. by the time I left counselling (after about three months) I had not realised that it was working, but I had improved in my moods considerably. It is only now that I can look and see that the Mirtazapine has worked very well for me. If you feel that it's not doing much for you then talk to your GP, but you are likely to be told to stick with it for a little bit longer.
Roseofsharon
UKFM Member

Postby Tricia_TD » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:43 pm

Congratulations on your baby :-D .

I found Mirtazapine made my appetite go on the war path! I was hungry all the time [chocolate] :easter1: . It also didn't really help with my depression.

As others have said, there are lots of different AD's out there, and remember that they can take 4-8 weeks to fully kick in and help you.

Tricia
Endometriosis ~ Depression ~ Anxiety ~ Sleep Apnoea ~ Fibromyalgia

Worldwide Endometriosis Support Forum
Tricia_TD
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:41 am

I have never taken that one but congratulations on the baby :hugs:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby busy mummy » Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:26 am

Hi Donna

I never heard of that one but wanted to expand on something Fluppy said.

Years ago my doc prescribed me Prozac (Fluoxetine) to help me get over an episode of reactive depression (my father-in-law died from cancer). I found it really helped after getting over the initial side effects, I took it for about 6 months in total.

Then about three years later I has another episode of depression (my grandmother died and my 15 year relationship ended) , GP put me on the Prozac again as it had been successful before. I felt so ill for weeks and weeks with the side effects second time round, it was like the Prozac was taking vengeance for me thinking I could ever live without it!!!

I am presuming from the name that Mirtazipine belongs to the same family as Fluoxetine, so my point is, since you have had a long break from them, perhaps they are doing the same to you as they did to me second time round.

Hang in there chick and :fingerscrossed: things start to pick up for you soon

Sarah x
busy mummy
UKFM Member

Postby nordic44 » Sat Dec 24, 2011 6:21 am

Been on mirtazapine for 10 months now, started on a low dose 15mg but am now on 30mg, These do take a while to kick in to feel any better. Have found that some days I feel that they do not work, depression is a quirky illness, some days are darker than others. Have been on 45mg some weeks. it is best if you keep to a lower dosage and only use a higher dose ( at doctors suggestion). As with any medication you can become used to them in long term use and then feel as if they are not working for you,
nordic44
UKFM Newbie

Postby funnybunny » Sat Dec 24, 2011 9:44 am

hi

congrats on baby and re the mirtazapine, after the holidays and all are over can you make an appt to see gp about this as medication would have time to have its effects by then?

I have been on mirtazapine in my pre FM days, i was fairly depressed to start with and psychatrist started this medication to be reviewed with gp and they would liase anyway as things go worse and worse over the coming months the gp just told me to go for walks and drink more water (he was the practice mental health expert :shock: ) and i was rapidly downhill, he never liased with consultant and finally i rang consultant secretary and asked for appt as was very suicidal and gp was very unhelpful, consultant saw me and had chat, was shocked, changed medication on the spot and arranged crisis team who visited for the following month, he also had stern words with then gp as i was followed up closely mental health wise (weekly basis) by gp politely until i moved to a differnt practice .. thats justs my experience

i hope the medication works for you but if its now working after the holidays, please see the gp or if needed call the out of hours service in your area if things get bad for you.

sometimes antidepressants can make depression worse for some people, its not a one size fits all and what works for one may not work for
sending you big hugs :hugs:
funnybunny
UKFM Member

Postby Donnacross » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:03 pm

Thanks everyone. So basically what your all saying is the mitazpine have been prescribed for depression not my fm?

I was under the impression it was given to me to aid in sleeping as was the amitryptaline before my pregnancy? No wonder I'm in so much pain!

I haven't taken this drug before, before my oregancy I was taking amitryptaline naproxen and dihydrocodiene.

This is the worst flare ive had in years! It isn't ring being in this much pain!
Donnacross
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:41 pm

It sounds like you need to go back to your GP Donna. Tell him how wretched you are feeling with just the mirtazapine and that you need something else. At the same time, you could also ask if it was prescribed for depression, for FM, or both :dunno: :dunno: :dunno:

Hope you can get something sorted soon :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Crazygirl » Thu May 31, 2012 7:50 pm

I took this for a while and it made me feel very moody and I couldn't stop eating. I got very tired as I seemed to spend a lot of the night having to keep getting myself something to eat.
Crazygirl
UKFM Member

Next

Return to Treatments & Medication