[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Medication

Medication

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Medication

Postby Wallis » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:24 am

Hi all,

Just wondering if there are others out there that find medication prescribed has little of no effect and that the side effects dont outweigh the benefit you get from them. Am fed up, I only go back on amitryptaline when desperate, have been on neurontin / gabapentin - had to stop those as felt even worse, now the doc wants me to try pregabalin (not holding much hope for that as I think thats similar to the neurontin etc :( ) The only other pain relief I take is the 30/500 cocodomols, they only take the edge off (and the other undesired effect of constipation :yikes: ) and I have diazepam in the cupboard for when spasms/cramps get way too much, I have found I have now built up a high threshold for pain before I start taking the painkillers, I find it amusing at times when hubby turns round and says he didnt know I was in bad pain on certain days because I hadnt said anything, I would get bored of my own voice if I moaned all day long about my aches n pains - I tend to just get on with it - he now knows when im suffering badly as the wheat bags seem to be always going in the microwave - a good visual clue!

Anyway, i'm waffling now :roll: so would just be interested to know if anyone else finds medication more or less ineffective.....
Wallis
UKFM Newbie

Re: Medication

Postby chrisgoneferal » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:31 am

I don't find anything helpful really..Syndols over th e counter give me a nights sleep when I am worn out and I don't have to go to doctors an grovel for them either. Pacing myself with tasks....rest...warmth and exercise all help..I lie in bed and do stretches so I am warm and don't fall over.

What is there in the long term that isn't as bad as the symptoms themselves??? I haven't found anything....

Tumeric in a little water sipped throughout the day helps some people...not me ....would help if life was a little kinder but then that's life....

all the best to you

Chris
chrisgoneferal
UKFM Member

Postby Roseofsharon » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:09 pm

Hi for me it depends on the day. I have my basic meds: Amitriptylene, Gabapentin, Carbamazapine, (amd others for other conditions) and then I have my 'extras' dihydrocodeine, Ibuprofen, Diazepam, Zopiclone. However to be honest I never really get full relief, it's always lurking in the background ready to bite me in the bum at any time. If your current regime of meds aren't doing anything I would say talk to your doctor.
Roseofsharon
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:40 pm

Altho the meds don't bring us full relief, at times I think they actually do more than what we realise. I refilled my meds box last night and forgot to add in the nefopam, as I've discovered :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: Been out and walked by the doglet, and felt far worse than I normally do by the time I'd crawled back in and sorted her out. Had a look in my meds, which is what has made me realise I didn't but them in last night. It also explains why my head feels worse as well :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Whilst gabapentin and pregabalin are similar meds Wallis, some people find that the pregabalin is better tolerated and can have much more of a beneficial affect than the gabas do. And the only way you'll know one way or the other if they are helpful to you is to try them :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed:

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby fliss » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:05 pm

hi!i find nothin works at the minute im on the top amount of morphine the docs can prescribe i also take,8 paracetamols a day 6 dihydrocodeines,citalopram,amitriptyline and docs now reducin my gabapentin from maximum dose as he wants to try somethin else cant remember wat he said it was as it was a telephone appointment and hubby wasnt there to listen and my memory is well somewhere else,so im in absolute agony,i sit and cry all the time i snap at people tryin to help me im just so low and in that much pain i dont even think my lifes worth carryin on with tbh,so yes i find nothin helps xx hope u feel beter soon xx
fliss
UKFM Member

Postby chrissietosh » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:24 pm

Fliss, don't give up, love - believe me, I know how you feel, as will most tof the people who read this. You just have to find a way to exist within the confines of your condition. I've had fibro for 11 years, have rheumatoid arthritis, had a stroke last year, and plenty other things to complain about, (and I do!) What I did to turn things around, was take advice from a US doctor in a paper he'd written on fibro - throw away your clocks and let your body tell you when it needs to rest/feels up to a bit of housework/ fancies a pint with friends. i warned all my family and friends I was going to do it, so no-one gets upset or mad at me when I don't want to go shopping, etc. i get far more sleep than I used to, and that in itself has helped me, and my mood, a lot.
As to the original question - I worry that my doctor keeps prescribing more and more stuff, so I can't really tell what's working and what isn't any more. Also, the constipation is a constant problem, does anyone have any perfect solution to THAT problem? I'd dearly like to hear it!..Be as well as you can be, everyone.
chrissietosh
UKFM Member

Postby Roseofsharon » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:57 pm

HI Chrissie if constipation is a constant problem, then try one of the following: Syrup of figs, Castor oil (my last doc gave castor oil suppositories when I had a lot of problems in that area - that's another story), or senna. Cannot promise that these will help, but I've found them much more effective than Lactulose. I've got to be careful using these as I have IBS so one minute I'm trying to fix the constipation the next minute it's the other way :oops: you get the picture.

The thing about listening to your body is a good one, I've found that my body clock is completely off the scale. I sometimes end up slepping for over 24hrs. Not good, so I rely on my alarm to get me up in the mornings even if I don't really want to, as I don't really like the 24hr+ stints.

Fliss hang in there. I know things look bleak, but remember that night is always darkest just before dawn. You may not see how things can work together right now, but I promise you that there is a rainbow for you too, things will work out....
Roseofsharon
UKFM Member

Postby VonniB » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:11 pm

Hi ladies
My Mum and me suffer this awful condition, which is very unusual, I think, but also Mum has other chronic conditions, as I have. A couple of years ago, my Mum became very desparate, even wanting to 'end it all' because of the constant pain etc. She only had been prescribed co-codamol!! Anyway, same as me I had become desparate with continuous flu like syptoms, struggling to get out of bed and ordinary pain killers wouldn't touch it. I'm not sure how it came about but I started taking tramadol on a low dose ie 1 every 4 hours and the very worse days (I was still working at the time) I took 2 every 4 hours, well what a difference it has made, I could deal with this thing at work alot better. I introduced the tramadol to my Mum and it also has changed how she was, she says it's 'saved her life'. My doctor also prescribed naproxen for a antinflametory with a tablet (lansoprazole) before hand to help not upset my stomache I take 10mg of amitriptyline early evening before bed. I know the above seems alot but, hey I was like yourself and got desparate. It is horses for courses and I can cope with pain much better these days. I know tramadol can make your mouth dry and give you constipation, also known to be addictive, but I would rather it be like this than how I was before.
I think it is always worth trying different meds to see what may suit you. I thought I would just let you all know how I have turned things around to cope much better with the pain. I personally don't believe in suffering, which I dare say we have no choice with FM. I do hope that this helps, remember it is just my opinion and is always worth trying different meds. You also could try 2 paracetamol and 2 ibuprofen together, but don't be conned into buying those fancy ones out there just the everyday supermarket ones it is so much cheaper.
Good luck ladies and take care, bless you all, I hope, to pain free days in future.
Vonni B xxx
VonniB
UKFM Newbie

Postby shelleydwales » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:49 pm

Hi wallis,
Just wanted to say that I had a horrendous time on gabbas, was suicidal even.
I am now on a relatively low dose of pregabalin with duluxetine and butrans which im responding well to . Im still getting frequent flares but things are so much better than they were!! Hope you find something that helps you soon!! Xxx

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk
Shell xxxx

Tomorrow is another day....be brave and smile :-)
shelleydwales
UKFM Member

Postby Mozza » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:56 am

We really are all completely different!!! Whereas the symptoms we all describe are more or less the same, the treatments are off the scale in non similarity. For me tramadol, no effect, pregabalin, took siezures, amatriptaline, d&v, gabapentin, co-codamol, don't really make a difference but I keep taking them in the hope that one day I'll notice a difference. Being your own doctor for your own body I have found to be extremely helpful, on not so bad days. I am at the moment trying supplements and alternative therapies, at the stage I will try anything though. (keep on keeping on) xxm I read earlier about tramadol with paracetamol, could someone give me the proper name for them please xxm
Last edited by Mozza on Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mozza
UKFM Member

Postby Wallis » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:59 pm

Sorry took a few days to get back to you all - thanks for all your replies, Im going to obviously give the pregabalin a go, and also received a letter from doc this week to also say about putting me on Duloxetine too, will keep you posted how I get on :-)
Wallis
UKFM Newbie

Postby shelleydwales » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:53 am

Hi wallis,
Good luck with the meds xxx

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk
Shell xxxx

Tomorrow is another day....be brave and smile :-)
shelleydwales
UKFM Member

Postby tentimes » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:51 pm

I found dulexetine and pregabalin made a big difference, though I still have the up's and down we all get.

A strange thing is that sometimes one thing that didn't work, works for a while then stops. It all seems so random. I know a lot about meds, but have just about reached the stage of letting it go and letting the Doctor decide. Previusly I didn;t go near the Doctor without first deciding exactly what I wanted before I went in - I had got totally sick of GP's and the shoulder shrugging.

I think anyone here will tell you experimenting (with consent of Dr) is the best way to find what works or doesn't. But, I think I am also saying that my experience is that what works changes over time.

I just gave a hot bath a go after poo-pooing the idea before. I was desperate today with the pain. Lo, and behold it actually helped a bit. Sometimes I think that we can get so p!%%£d off with the treatment merry-go-round that we can become our own worst enemies at times. Well, I can anyway.

Good luck with the meds and be prepared for a little bit of strangeness at first.
Last edited by FluppyPuffy on Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removal of expletive
tentimes
UKFM Member

Medication

Postby Mozza » Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:39 pm

Hi, someone mentioned tramadol with paracetamol but can't find the generic name now, anyone any ideas?? Xxm
Mozza
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:39 pm

I think it might be Tramacet that contains both of them :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing:

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Next

Return to Treatments & Medication