[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - cranial electrotherapy stimulation

cranial electrotherapy stimulation

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

cranial electrotherapy stimulation

Postby pogster » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:54 am

Has anyone heard about or used cranial electrotherapy stimulation or microcurrent electrical therapy?

An Occupational Therapist has used one and it has been lifechanging, resulting in her being able to return to work, cycle, go on holiday etc.
:bear-dancing:
The CES unit retails around 400 quid and does make amazing claims to be effective in 95 per cent of cases. As usual, I am sceptical of devices having tried things in the past but would welcome anyone's opinion as I worry about actually being able to stay in work.
Diagnosed with FM 22/3/11[/img]
pogster
UKFM Member

Re: cranial electrotherapy stimulation

Postby denys » Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:31 pm

sorry pogster but I have to say if something like this worked as it claims then the NHS would be using them and curing us all so for that amount of money I would leave it in the bank (if I had it) maybe someone else has had experience of the treatment and can shed some light on it but at the moment all I think is scam :( :( :( :( :(
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby shazq » Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:05 pm

Hi
Its just a similar but very expensive Tens machine :roll:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby pogster » Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:46 pm

Thanks for the replies.

I know what you mean and I certainly haven't got a spare 400 quid to try something that only worked for one or two people. However, as I am always interested in getting a balanced opinion on these things, I am going to email this Occupational Therapist (OT) to ask how many other people she knows who have benefited from using this machine, especially since we are both Occupational Therapists and her article was featured in a well known OT publication.

More to follow ......
Diagnosed with FM 22/3/11[/img]
pogster
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:47 pm

Will be interesting to hear her reply :-D
Denys

denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby Linda H » Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:22 pm

Hi,
Just thought you'd like a reply from the person you are speaking about. I have had Fibromyalgia for 23 years, during my time as the local group leader we met Dr Lister who became a friend of our group. He introduced us to the Alpha-Stim. I was very sceptical as I have spent £1,000’s trying to get well and did I really want to get my hopes up for them to be dashed again? I researched it, found it was safe and thought the randomised study results were too good to be true but worth a try. It has helped me, I had been too ill to work for 20 years, it is not a cure. I thought is it just me :?: So I set up a trial with the group and 15 out of 18 also found it helped. In the USA it is only prescribed by medically trained practitioners. It worried me that I struggled to get the best from it and in the UK it is sold directly to the public. I have now been using it for 3 years and find I can help about 80% of those who contact me. It’s been in the USA for 30 years, I’m annoyed I didn’t know about it before. It's going to take a long time before NICE agree to clear it and that is why I've been in the newspapers to let others know it exists. It is not the same as TENS. I personally think TENS acts as another stressor to our already stressed bodies :!: I hope this answers the comments made earlier :-)
Linda H
UKFM Newbie

Postby Elspeth » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:19 pm

This sounds very interesting. Personally I think there have been tons of brilliant scientific advances and breakthroughs that have not trickled down into the NHS yet. Often because of the patents and the cost, also the NHS's refusal to trial anything that hasn't got enough evidence.
Could you post us some more information please?
Elspeth
UKFM Member

Return to Treatments & Medication