[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - GAPS diet ??

GAPS diet ??

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

GAPS diet ??

Postby TATT » Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:05 pm

Hi, Has anyone tried the Gaps diet ? looked up Dr Natasha Campbell Mcbride and she talks about all disease starts in the gut and I remeber my IBS at its worst at the start of my illness in 2009 although my consultant said I have had this for many many years. Anyway on her questions and answer page 11 she answers a fibro question and says that her heart goes out to anyone suffering from FM/CFS/ME as these can be the most difficult etc..

I felt her empathy which was nice and now I feel down again :-? oh well keep researching its all I do, perhaps its something to do but I want to find a cure if there is one I am determined to find it :lol:

So anyone been on The Gaps diet thx
TATT
UKFM Member

Re: GAPS diet ??

Postby denys » Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:52 pm

Sorry TATT no I havent but if you decide to try then let us all know how you do on it :fingerscrossed: :goodluck1:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby Roseofsharon » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:41 pm

Hi TATT, I actually met her a few years ago, and have had two of her books sitting on my bookshelf since then, but no I haven't actually tried her GAPS diet yet (I haven't actually finished the book on it). Natasha Campbell-Mcbride is a lovely lady, and yes very empathic. Of all the natural and alternative health advice I've had in the past (and I've had lots of it!) her books keep drawing me back, and I will never forget hearing her live speaking on the GAPS diet and the link between lack of flora in the gut to all these other conditions.

You've inspired me once again to get my books out and follow her advice, as I keep intending to do. Will keep you posted how I get on....
Roseofsharon
UKFM Member

Postby mayon » Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:56 pm

That's the first I've heard of the Gaps diet, I'd be interested to hear from anyone that has tried this.
Maya
I got my from only using . Want to get then dig into . Here you go
mayon
UKFM Newbie

Postby tentimes » Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:51 pm

What type of diet is it?

I am a bit cynical about diets, and I also don't have much respect for people with Dr before their name - I would be checking the research (proper peer-reviewed, blind trials).
tentimes
UKFM Member

Postby Louise55 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:23 pm

Hi,

I'm on the GAPS diet and I'd highly recommend anyone to look into it (and see if it's for them).

I always knew my issues with CF and Fibro started in my gut (IBS etc has always been an issue for me). But I never got anywhere with any diets or doctors.

I understand people's suspicion with diets and doctors, I had stopped looking at either for the answers, but only came back to both for the sake of my kids, who were starting down the path of the same issues (and it was effecting their attention span & learning too, although they're only young), they are on GAPS too now (and doing much better).

I found an amazing GP (not in the UK), and he suggested the GAPS diet. He's a member of the Australasian College of Nutritional & Environmental medicine.

It's not an easy diet to start, it takes a lot of research, dedication and listening to your body, but if it makes me feel better, I'm willing to do it.

I would also recommend looking at the FAILSAFE diet (even though GAPS eliminates all food additives & chemicals, in the beginning naturally occuring chemicals in food were a problem for me, due to the damage in my gut). And the FODMAPS diet, which also looks at other triggers for IBS, that are still allowed on GAPS. Although GAPS will aim fix these intolerances eventually, they could cause more problems in the beginning.

I started GAPS after 6 months on a standard elimination diet, and 12 months on a failsafe diet, so I'd already eliminited some of my triggers, and was starting to reduce my fibro symptoms. But GAPS aims to heal the gut so your diet won't be restricted forever.
Louise55
UKFM Newbie

Postby bubbleberry » Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:33 pm

Hi, I am very interested in the Gaps Diet! I have ordered and am just waiting for the books to arrive.
My husband suffers with FM along with numerous other bone and stomach issues. We are both planning on starting the Gaps Diet which was reccomended by my sister, who lives in California, after curing her son of autism. The whole idea makes total sense, and I am excited to start. I am also a little daunted, as I find it a lot harder to source raw dairy products, good free-range/grass fed meat, etc. in Northern Ireland.
Is there any local farmers etc that could be reccomended? Also, are there any local support groups for the Gaps Diet? We both work together full time, running our own business, and have a newborn, so it's a challange starting something like this, but we really want to give it a try.
Many thanks!
bubbleberry
UKFM Newbie

Postby Iceskatemum » Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:54 am

Bubbleberry , Not sure where you are but if around Belfast the last time I was at St Georges market there were a number of good organic meat suppliers.However given the NI climate , it is difficult to have totally grassed reared animals as they need to be in at least one winter. You could also try good farm style butchers who have thier own herd which they bring on for slaughter , ask around your loca area area if you don't know of one.
Also not sure about the supply of "raw " dairy products I would first check with local environmental health office to see if it is allowed and then ask if there is a supplier in your area as I'm sure the Env Health office would be keeping a close eye in them.

Good luck and hope you do well on it
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby Sanie » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:30 pm

Hey Bubbleberry

how are you getting on with GAPs? what books did you get? I reccomend GAPs by Natasha Campbell-McBride
Sanie
UKFM Newbie

Postby whoami » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:07 pm

LOL....sorry, but when I read the title I thought it was a diet you were trying so you could wear a new pair of GAP jeans.
........goes to show you can't read a book by it's cover, LOL

I will look this up since I have suffered from IB for years.

I am a little skeptical about it having cured autism. I just called my friend (in the medical field) and asked her if she had heard of it. She has a lot of autistic children as patients.
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby Sanie » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:52 am

thanks,

How did you get on? what did your friend say?

Naturally we can be put off by statements of cures, though sometimes hesitation and doubts is what slows down progression in breakthroughs, Individual people and their symptoms/conditions can be quite unique so when there are breakthroughs for one and not another we then gotta look at why that is. I think its promising that there are people that are really benefiting from the GAPS diet. I am not clued up on what a cure/resolution would actually look like, as I can imagine this would be different for each person. definitely worth exploring into.
Sanie
UKFM Newbie

Return to Treatments & Medication