Breakthrough food after 4 years with Fibro.

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Breakthrough food after 4 years with Fibro.

Postby blewvelvet » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:49 pm

I was researching on deficiencies in Fibro patients (I also have Hashimotos) and looking for connections on these two through Medscape by reading the clinicals.

I found that Fibromyalgia patients have low dopamine (which is a natural pain reliever that we make) and low trypophan which is an precursor to serotonin and dopamine. This is why amitryptaline works for pain. It's a Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitor meaning it keeps your body from reuptaking and reprocessing it into something else. If there is more dopamine available..you will overall feel better.

Another thing I came across which everyone, regardless of what you have should watch and absorb is, and you can watch it on youtube called "Sugar, the bitter truth" because what I found out about glucose here relates to another thing I did recently. Read on.

So what I did was..I changed my diet unknowingly trying to do something different. It's really hard for hashimotos/hypothyroid and fibro patients lose weight. 1. because it hurts to just move so exercise is really the most unattractive unmotivating thing you could ever think of doing. AND 2. With a low energy level..you feel like you can walk hard for about a minute and then you are just beat...feeling like you are just not processing oxygen correctly. Breathing is even hard to do.

So..against everyone telling me not to I started eating 2 hard boiled eggs every morning and another 1 or 2 at night depending on how hungry I was. If I was still hungry I would take a few bites of peanut butter or sunflower seed butter or yogurt. Lunch a was normal meal. Sushi, salad or sandwhich.

Finding all these deficiencies with fibro and hashimotos (including low vitamin D), I had remembered from biology that an egg has everything in it that you need to make a living creature. (and all the enzymes, minerals and vitamins in their PURE form unused before it makes that living creature) It really is a complete meal. I'm not very keen about eating meat. I haven't eaten a burger in 22 years or chicken. Thinking I must be missing something from my diet. I'm 42 but back when I was 30 I had a hip joint issue and it turned out to be a vitamin deficiency that clear it up since. BUT I got reamed out by everyone that my cholesterol was going to skyrocket if I ate ONE egg. It's a MYTH. In fact I busted it.. I got tired of people telling me eggs were bad...so I started researching exactly what was in eggs. Turns out EGGS are one of the foods that contain high levels of Tryptophan and Choline and better yet...glucose! (see "Sugar the bitter Truth"). Turkey is not high on tryptophan list- another Myth..the reality is that an increase in tryptophan is a result of insulin increase when you eat all those potatoes and carbs on thanskgiving. You are tired as if you ate a bowl of pasta..same thing! Insulin and tryptophan are related.

So right around when I started this egg diet... my endocrinologist wanted to start me on 2 mg Lipitor...which I cringed....my cholesterol was only LDL was 183. Slightly elevated. But really do I want to put yet another drug in my system. Savella made me throw up or feel seasick. Gabepentin wasn't working...So I made an appt after doing eggs for 4 weeks to double check my cholesterol before I started this side affect poison.

It turned out, he didn't freak out like everyone else when I told him that I was eating 3-4 eggs a day. In fact, he repeated what I had already read about. Some people can eat a dozens of eggs......and their cholesterol will not change. He stated a case where a guy would eat a dozen eggs a day and had low cholesterol. Plus, all the other things I was finding in eggs was too much of a plus....almost no negatives...except maybe hormones..but I have yet to read about that. Organic eggs might be the way to go if you are concerned.

So we took blood..and after looking at my entire "last years" cholesterol levels..they were normal for the past year and a half. I said I really want to wait to take Lipitor because the blood work done in Jan 2012 was coming off vacation where I probably indulged in ice cream and cheese and god knows what I remembered eating..so if Cholesterol is low from the new April 2012 blood work..it will HAVE the results of being on egg diet for almost 4 weeks!!! This will let me know if the eggs have increased my cholesterol..but I find that going on 3 weeks of almost little or no pain...has been incredible!!!!

So the GREAT results happened right about 2 weeks after doing the egg diet. I thought it was a fluke. Because some days are good..some bad. I had two good days back to back..then it kept going. It felt like I was processing oxygen efficiently. Lower leg pain and tingling dwindled to 80% better..to 90% feeling better. I hadn't had to take any gabepentin in two weeks!!! I had a little back and leg pain one night...during the third week..but I have amitryptaline...and only need to take half of a 25 MG pill to sleep (12 mg) with no pain.

I hope someone else here will try this..to see if the results are positive. Like I said..I don't know why it's hard to lose weight. I do not eat over 1000 calorie's a day. I had to watch this to prove a point to people that I don't overeat. Most days I get away with 800 calories. I have only maintained and lost a little weight...and then maintained...so after 4 weeks - down only 6 lbs...but feel great! I have also have been able to walk home from work (2 miles) twice a week...Manhattan..weather permitting!

Please if you do this diet..and it helps..please post a reply to this. I am very curious and hope it's not just me but the "Tryptophan Choline Glucose Dopamine Vitamin D" packed egg that is working!
blewvelvet
UKFM Newbie

Re: Breakthrough food after 4 years with Fibro.

Postby Itsonlyme! » Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:18 am

I find this extremely interesting as have been thinking about my diet for quite a while now, bought the Fibro diet book etc..anything is worth a try if I can get my head round it, can you PM me with the details/ or more info on what I need to do with the rest of my diet, I have the same problem,weight up..then down..then up again..crave sugar like mad and I have never really had a sweet tooth, but when I am having a really bad day I feel like I could just eat anything as long as its full of sugar..I also suspect my Vit D levels are low, just about to get this and B12 checked.
Interesting post, come back to me if you pick this up.
Will read again in the morning and see if my foggy head (in the middle of a flare) can take it in a little better.
Stay well x
Itsonlyme!
UKFM Member

Postby blewvelvet » Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:27 pm

Hi.

I stopped the sugar intake about 2 weeks ago. The only other thing I did about 3 weeks ago, when I went to the deli every day for a coffee I noticed when I said "sugar" I caught them putting 3 heaving deli spoon fulls in it. I have them now only put one in. For sugar, I generally will only have either a Hershey bar or a cookie once a week now to satisfy any sugar cravings..and really rarely had a treat during that two weeks since I stopped the heavy sugar. and NO SODA. I was never a soda drinker. Rarely, once a month I might have a soda or ginger ale.....but what happened after sugar decrease is that I did get used to the coffee being not sweet and my other sweet cravings stopped. It did take about two weeks for the egg diet to help with pain and two weeks for the sugar palate to not crave sugar. The eggs have been providing a great source of glucose which is the energy sugar your cells love. This is why I've been feeling so great lately. ..even before the Sugar stopped!

Please definitely watch "Sugar, The Bitter Truth" http://youtu.be/dBnniua6-oM

and

"Chocolate Cheese Meat and Sugar" http://youtu.be/5VWi6dXCT7I

Sugar video is a long one but once you get into it..that time just flies.

UPDATE: Last night was the first time in 3 weeks that I had some lower back and my glutes started flaring. I did take gabepentin and slept well. I'm really off the drugs, except for hypothyroid/Levothyroxin every day.....and only going to use the pain meds at moments where I have pain or can't sleep. I never wanted to depend on OR up any doses to avoid getting desensitized to them. It can happen and then nothing works. But getting GOOD SLEEP DOES help you with the next day. read on...

Also, as a side note..since I'm new to the forum is that needed to add here that I did see a rheumatologist last year that my mother was going to. He asked her if anyone else in her family is having problems. My mom responded "Funny you should ask..." So I went. It turns out my mother mother and I have Hyper Mobility Syndrome..which means your joints are generally more flexible and sometimes you can do double jointed things with your hands or were good at flexing and reaching when you are younger..however it comes at a cost. The collagen starts to disintegrate over time..this includes the collagen in your joints and organs. The result will be as you get older the elasticity of the collagen weakens on arteries/veins/your heart. etc.

So after my exam and discussing the Hyper Mobility Syndrome...He said to me "So about your Fibromyalgia...." he went on to say that there was a study done in Europe where they took the most well defined athletes, people who were in the Olympics etc. and put them on a two month sleep study. Every night when they would go into a deep state of sleep which occurs after an hour or two...they would wake them up with a bell. Never letting them go in to a deeper sleep which is already know to be the place where your muscles better repair themselves. The outcome was that almost ALL of them developed Fibromyalgia after two months of being sleep deprived. Intermittent sleep. This struck me as a Eureka moment and for two weeks I was thinking back..because being hypothyroid for so many years caused me a lot of grief with sinus problems and constantly waking up not being able to breathe...etc. This went on for about 5 years. Plus I remembered about a year ago before I even knew I had Fibromyalgia..that I slept all weekend. I never slept like this before. I don't know why but I let myself sleep. I only woke up for about 6 or 8 hours and was sleeping 14 hours fri night, 12 hours sat night and 10 hours approx sun night. It was weird..but even by Sunday I felt freakishly normal. No pain and hi energy. I even went downtown and walked around most of the day..keeping up with that New York pace.

So I was really thinking back, I remembered this one weekend..I said to my boyfriend..."remember that weekend I slept and slept"..he said "yeah..I thought you were just coming down with something"

So, once I got that clue I started forcing myself to make sure I slept and stayed sleeping. I already used amitryptaline sparingly for another autoimmune issue I have...but made sure I started with a full week of optimal sleep. The results started then too..there was definitely a correlation..BUT it didn't always stick as long. I would sleep in all weekend..both days..and Mon-Wed felt pretty good..but by Thursday getting up earlier for work..wasn't sticking!

That's when I started looking at diet and getting down to what was really going on with Fibro patients with the deficiencies, enzymes and hormones. Then I tripped over the dopamine, serotonin, tryptophan connection. (Also read about Choline which a high source is found in Eggs) ...and I ended up getting a 3 week vacation from Fibromyalgia!!! Of course, until last night..but really it was a dream having such a long run of pain relief for so long...I will update on how long this new spat lasts. It does feel like I could have spats of it coming back..but never like I had a year or two ago. Hopefully the worse is behind me.
Last edited by blewvelvet on Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
blewvelvet
UKFM Newbie

Postby blewvelvet » Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:57 pm

By the way. EGGS are so ***** easy.

Sunday night, I will boil 8 for the next 2 or 3 days. Boil for at least 15 min to avoid the slime factor. Cool them on the counter and put them in the fridge. In the morning I put two in my purse and go. Get a coffee at the deli and eat them at work. They totally seem to fill me for a good 3 or 5 hours. I have actually skipped a lunch or two..sometimes I just order a small appetizer..not even a whole meal. I am perfectly fine till about 5 or 6 pm. I also cannot put down food like I used to since being on the Egg. So when I go out to eat...I feel like after 5 or 6 bites..I'm done. I take the rest home. I think it might be my bodies way of saying "Whoa, I got a lot to work with here. We don't need all this now".

Anyway, what I really meant to say here was that Eggs are sooooo easy..and when I get home there are eggs in the fridge (and if I need I take a few bites of Sunflower seed butter or peanut butter)...so for my work lifestyle it just makes life easier. I don't worry about cooking or anything during the week. And Fibro patients know...the last thing you want to do is any kind of chore, cooking, dishes, cleaning etc! I get home..I just want to head right to bed!
Last edited by denys on Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removal of offensive language
blewvelvet
UKFM Newbie

Postby blewvelvet » Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:07 pm

Now I keep thinking of stuff to add. This was a mystery also...

I have hypothyroidism...and went undiagnosed for almost 8 years. I'm 42..and have yet to have a gray hair show up.
It's been a topic at work because everyone who is my age has had grays start at least 8 years ago and color their hair etc... My stepsister who is 8 years younger..35 has more gray coming. It's just weird. until...

..researching about TSH levels in rats on a Medscape article about life extension. This is a smaller brief on the subject.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/ar ... 7483901045

You can read more about it.
blewvelvet
UKFM Newbie

Postby Roseofsharon » Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:12 pm

Hi Bluevelvet the diet you describe makes a lot of sense and could well be beneficial to some, however I am concerned about the amount of calories you are taking in. 1000 calories are ok on a temporary weight loss programme however in order to maintain a healthy weight you should be taking in at least 1500 and optimally 2000 calories in a day.

Also another point is that you should not be on a mono diet. By that I mean only eating one thing. Your body will get used to that which you are surviving on (Sorry can't call it living) and thereby any beneficial effects that you are receiving from it will reduce.
Roseofsharon
UKFM Member

Postby blewvelvet » Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:55 pm

It's not a mono diet. I'm not JUST eating eggs. I just have a day or so where I just don't want a full lunch..I will have an appetizer or a snack instead when I'm not really hungry. The eggs are way to boost quality packed vitamin/mineral/amino acid and enzymes I might be lacking. (Please be sure to read and comprehend my ENTIRE post) I don't think I mentioned it was mono. I mention my intake in the earlier posting.

Plus when I have the sunflower seed butter it's not every night. I MIGHT have something else as a leftover in the fridge. But one table spoon of sunflower seed butter is 100 calories. If I take 2 or even 3 that's 300 calories!

I only just started paying attention to the caloric intake only very recently because I had to prove to my overbearing mother that my 200lb weight was not from overeating. Before I paid attention I was probably more in the 1200 to 1500 range a day. But I got so much crap from her that I must be totally binging on the side...but then when I got my fibro/hashimoto/hypothyroid results..she let up on it..but still thinks I should be 150lbs by now. I told her it doesn't work that way. Counting calories was a way to be sure It was the Fibro and thyroid issue and not food. But anyway..even though she got a mouthful from me about leaving me alone about the weight for now...I was ready to start counting to make sure I know how much I was truly eating a day. I've been hovering around 192 for a few days now. If I can keep under 1000 I should be able to lose weight. If not, there is another issue I need to research. My TSH levels are normal. I'm still waiting for my blood work results from late last week to check on tryptophan levels and LDL. By the way...Doctors DON'T normally check for tryptophan levels. Considering the connections...
blewvelvet
UKFM Newbie

Postby denys » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:22 pm

Blewvelvet roseofsharon was expressing her opinion and i have to say that I would not be happy following your diet nor seeing any of my grown up kids on it either that many eggs is not good in the long term IMO and if you do lose weight eating less than 1000 calories you will put it back on as soon as you increase it to normal levels. If your body does not get a healthy intake then it will go into starvation mode and weight loss will diminish as it will turn everything into fat as it doesnt know when it will get fed again. As they say your metabolism is blind
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby Roseofsharon » Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:55 pm

Blewvelvet I'm sorry if at anypoint I misunderstood what you were saying, but to be honest although you mention having maybe one meal of other things this is way too close to being a mono diet for it to be good for your health in the long run. All I'm trying to do is give you a gentle warning to be careful.

As for eating less than 1000 calories Denys is right it will set you up both for regaining the weight when you raise the amount of calories and also putting your body into starvation mode right now. 1200 - 1500 is an ideal weight loss amount of calories so if you're not losing weight on that then you need to push your doctor for possibly a referral to diet and nutrition and find where the pitfalls are as well as push to get your health problems looked at properly.

Also find out what body type you are, as there is one body type that no matter how much they try will never really lose the weight completely.
Roseofsharon
UKFM Member

Postby diane1 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:15 pm

Hi I agree with Denys and Roseofsharon we all are looking for the answer to our pain and weight problems but unfortuneatly the 2 seem to go hand in hand. The meds put the weight on but can help with the pain .

I was on Mirtazapine for 18 months and put weight on every month to a totsl of 6 stone over that period. Eventually the hospital realised it was the meds and not my diet so stopped the mirtazapine. Within 3 weeks I have lost 1 1/2 stone without even dieting. It proved to those I know that meds can have a profound effect on weight.

So dont starve yourself as others have said and deprive wour body of what it needs. Sometimes we just have to put up with the weight if we get pain relief.

Hope it all goes well for you. :fingerscrossed:
Does an elephant with fibro fog ever forget ?
diane1
UKFM Member

Postby Itsonlyme! » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:33 pm

Has anybody on here regarding these posts ever had their resting metabolic rate tested? ...apparently this can be affected greatly with various medical conditions and the medication that is used to treat them...As is mine,thus making it VERY easy to put weight on and very difficult to lose it..For any that don't know, your "RMR" is the actual amount of calories you are using/burning on average daily in order to "maintain" your current weight..You can imagine my surprise when mine was only 1246!!..I was trying to lose a bit of weight as obviously the Fibro was greatly affecting my activity levels and was sticking to around 1500 cals per day as that was the suggested figure to me to lose weight was to drop from around 2000 to 1500 per day to lose a healthy amount of around 1 lb per week steadily...I was still gaining weight...I had my RMR checked and basically if I eat more than the 1246 I will continue to put weight on...unless I reduce my input or I greatly increase my activity levels..I tried that and was going ok ish or so I thought, but wasn't enough or consistent enough to make an impact because as you know somedays it's almost impossible to get up let alone walk around the block..For me it was anyway as in my case I am struck pretty hard with the fatigue and it wasn't really a viable option..I totally understand and am fascinated by the Egg thing and am going to try at least swap some of my foods and snacks to give it a try but my real point is we're all different, different symptoms, different abilities, different meds..different Resting Metabolic Rates and what works for one won't always work for another..I was subsequently told by my dietician that in my case I would need to reduce my calories accordingly on very inactive days but tey choose vitamin, protein packed foods to have the right balance of foods rather than choose empty calories and end up seemingly hardly eating anything etc...and it's working so far so good and it's safe.. My GP is aware and was happy for me to give it a try as my weight, not only my pain was really getting me down, might be worth looking into, glad I did, I agree that if this lady was just eating Eggs and only Eggs then that would be slightly worrying but having re read her posts I don't think that's the case...Am now just trying to get my head round the thought of carrying around boiled eggs in my hand bag without smelling like one of my dogs!! :-D hope this RMR theory might be of interest to someone, best wishes x x
Itsonlyme!
UKFM Member

Postby xl5 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:07 pm

I find a high protein diet works for me - including 2 eggs a day, more often for lunch than brek, when I have soya yog wih berries and mixed seeds. I always carry a plastic tub of natural nuts (not peanuts) with me as I get hypoglycaemic 4 hours after a meal and if I'm out (which aint very oftn!) I cant just grab a sandwich or a pasty as I'm wheat (and dairy) intolerant (grrrrrrrr!) My blood tests are always fine -including cholesterol - yet I have high BP. Always had difficulty getting my head round the difference!! My only problem is that while I dont have a sweet tooth and can resist sugary foods, I do find it hard to get through an evening without a glass of wine or beer ( or 3..). Sorry, but it really helps relax my muscles and ease pain, even if I do get bloated (yeast or sugar??) and it probably doesnt help the sleep problems, but whatever gets you through eh?
xl5
UKFM Member

Return to Treatments & Medication