[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - WHAT MEDS TO TAKE?

WHAT MEDS TO TAKE?

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

WHAT MEDS TO TAKE?

Postby oorwullie » Mon May 14, 2012 9:03 pm

Hi, i'm taking co-codomol 15/500 8 per day, amitriptyline 30mg per day and propranalol 40mg per day none of which make a blind bit of difference to the pain I'm in. I've spoken to my doc today and I have agreed to wait until I have seen the docs at the pain clinic at the end of this month before deciding what to do with my medication. Has anyone on here actually taken any meds that makes a difference? They are talking about possibly putting me on tramadol but I don't really want to be going about in a drug fuelled haze either. :-?
oorwullie
UKFM Member

Re: WHAT MEDS TO TAKE?

Postby charley » Mon May 14, 2012 9:11 pm

Amitriptyline is a muscle relaxant, not a painkiller. The reason I was prescribed it when I was diagnosed was to help with sleep, and now, I cannot sleep properly without it!
I'm also on co-codamol but 30/500 not 15/500 because I don't get on with Tramadol, so if you find out about a painkiller that works, please let me know! :)
charley
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Mon May 14, 2012 9:16 pm

I'm on Tramadol and don't feel like I'm in a drug fuelled haze, or maybe that should be in any more of a drug fuelled haze with all the other ingredients in my cocktail :wine: :wine: :wine:

This is one of the linkys about meds that we often use when someone asks about the different things we're on http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Fibromyalg ... tment.aspx If you have a look at the different types that can be used, then when you go for your appt, you'll have a bit of info about the different things they may mention/offer you.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby oorwullie » Mon May 14, 2012 9:20 pm

Thanks for that FluppyPuffy. I'll start swotting lol. Cute dog by the way. :-)
oorwullie
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Mon May 14, 2012 9:26 pm

FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby oorwullie » Mon May 14, 2012 9:37 pm

Yeah, animals can always make us smile even on the worst days. My doc did offer to up the dose to 30/500 until my appointment but suggested it would be wise to wait until I had seen the docs at the pain clinic as they may decide to put me on something else entirely which is fair enough I suppose. Although I'm not really keen on the co-codomol anyway as they seem to give me stomach cramps and acid reflux. Maybe a half bottle of vodka will do the trick until then though lol.
oorwullie
UKFM Member

Postby Dragonlord » Mon May 14, 2012 9:40 pm

As stated Amitriptiline (and Nortriptiline) are often given for its pain relieving qualities (gives you an awful dry mouth though :-o ).

I have suffered chronic pain and FM for many years and after numerous changes I have now settled on Pregabalin 300mg twice a day, Dihydrocodeine 30mg four times a day, and 50mg Nortriptiline on top of these at night. I also take a few extra ones to prevent spasms :crazy: , Clonazepam and good old Citalopram re depression (part and parcel of long term FM etc).

Get yourself under a pain clinic ASAP - I get lumbar Epidurals every 6 months, takes a few weeks to kick in, but allows me to keep on going, takes the edge off a little bit.

Hang in there.

Kind Regards,

Steve
:-) :-)
Dragonlord
UKFM Newbie

Postby oorwullie » Mon May 14, 2012 9:49 pm

Cheers for that Steve. I know exactly what you mean about the dry mouth, feels like my mouths been superglued shut after taking the amitriptyline. Mind you, some folk would say thats a good thing in my case! Glad you have found something that helps you. Hopefully the pain clinic will come up with something for me too. :fingerscrossed:
oorwullie
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Mon May 14, 2012 10:47 pm

FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby doctoria71 » Tue May 15, 2012 8:57 am

hi I am taking 30mg dihydrocodeine 4 times a day, 150mg pregablin x 2 a day 1000mg paracetamol 4 times a day to compliment the dihydrocodeine, Amitriptyline 25mg at night (7pm).
Must admit I have doubled my dihydrocodeine at times, but its not working at the moment !!!!
Think I need to ask my wonderful GP to refer me to pain clinic.
doctoria71
UKFM Member

Postby Berni.k » Wed May 16, 2012 5:15 pm

I was told to eat oranges as these naturally help with dry mouths have to say it does work, I am on tramadol and am not spaced out all the time, and still manage to drive, however I will not drive within 2 hours of taking them, sometimes thats when I am a little woowoo, but then I do take others too on top of this, Ive pain clinic next month and cant wait for past week I have been in sooooooooooooooooooo much pain its unbelievable, plus haveing to use my stick all the time inc indoors, I also have 2 young kids to run around after and am gagging for the weekend so I can get so rest this week, no swimming for me this weekend I fear, I need loads of sleep and even more rest.
Didnt look at date of your post damn this fog of late, hope pain clinic is a help for you, I cant wait for mine but wanted to share the tip on oranges xx
Berni.k
UKFM Newbie

Postby FluppyPuffy » Wed May 16, 2012 6:40 pm

Thanks for the tip about oranges Berni, someone may find it helps them as well :wave: :wave: :wave:

FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Return to Treatments & Medication