[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - what to do??????????

what to do??????????

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

what to do??????????

Postby mand » Thu May 17, 2012 10:55 am

Im in a lot of pain at the mo, i plod on taking co=codamol and omeprazole(tum probs) for pain and loads of suppliments including 5htp for fibro....but the pain is unbearable, im going to see G.P on monday, itook dicofenac yesterday one dose and my stomach was sore.....is there anything you can suggest .... im thinking of asking Doc if i can have somthing extra and more compatable that i could take on bad days and just take the usual stuff on ok days.

Anybody do this???????? many thanks...........mand
mand
UKFM Member

Re: what to do??????????

Postby crazycat36 » Thu May 17, 2012 11:21 am

ive had problems wi my stomach for a long time and last yr was put on fentynal patches and cause its taken through the skin doesnt upset my tummy although on bd days i have to top up wi either tramadol or oral morph
crazycat36
UKFM Member

Postby karen59 » Thu May 17, 2012 11:28 am

hate to say it but the meds don't make any difference at all you just suffer more with the side effects. :yikes: :yikes: I was on all sorts for 7 years and feld like a zombie so decided to see what happened if I came off them. The pain is no different but even though i still have bouts of fibro fog my brain is much clearer. :lol: :lol:

I know this will not be the same for everyone but it sure was for me - i am back at docs tomorrow and hosp - having a bad bout at the minute :( but praying it will pass :-D

Chin up xxxx
karen59
UKFM Member

Postby juliefibro » Thu May 17, 2012 11:35 am

Just looked up 5htp as not heard of it before. Some research shows that it can cause muscle pain too...

http://www.webmd.com/fibromyalgia/guide ... upplements

I have found coming off my meds and trying to do more exercise beneficial. Rest is the best cure for pain, that and heat pads. I have also found my TENS machine to be a very good friend!
juliefibro
UKFM Member

Postby Baby-Hedgehog » Thu May 17, 2012 11:56 am

like a lot of us fibro sufferers I have stomach issues too - in my case, it was duodenal ulcers at 19! (I'd had them for a few years, because I didn't fit the normal profile - ie male, 50, heavy drinker, smoker and stressful job - it took them a couple of years before I got the diagnosis; but that's meant that I can't tolerate anything anti inflammatory).

I can use Ibuprofen gel, which, like Crazycat said, is easier when your stomach doesn't have to absorb it - although I do worry about using the gel too much.

A friend of a friend (who has suffered many, many years with extreme back problems) suggested that 'Nature's Kiss' - a herbal rub is a really good substitute for the gel - so I'm going to try to get some (apparently a number of bicycle shops sell it!!!!! or you can buy it online)

Other than that I'm not really able to help much - I use Co-codamol and Phenergan (sleeping tablets)... oh, and antihistamine, to help with the side-effects of the Co-codamol.

On the supplements front...I also take Cod Liver Oil, Glucosamine & Chondroitin and Vitamin D (after a blood test showed up my levels were seriously low).

As long as I'm careful and pace myself properly, I can generally control my Fibro with the meds I have (that doesn't mean I'm not in pain, just that the levels are bearable) - I use my heat pad a lot when sitting down (moving it from upper back to lower back & hips to thighs - and even sometimes down to my knees or wrap it around my elbow).

I hope you and your doctor can work out something to help you get more relief Mand

Baby Hedgehog xx

Hopefully there will be others who can suggest other things you can talk through with your doctor
Baby-Hedgehog
UKFM Member

Postby Ldyalb » Thu May 17, 2012 12:54 pm

I had terrible stomach probs with Diclofenac (acid reflux) it's a bad med for stomach side effects. My GP tried me on Meloxicam (I have swollen fingers) which irritates the stomach less. I don't get on well with anti-inflammatories generally (allergic to Ibuprofen).

Fibro isn't inflammatory though. Usually when GPs give patients an anti inflammatory for Fibro it's so that person can take 1 type of analgesic from each of the 3 groups to give more pain relief. But if you react badly to it, and don't actually have inflammation then I think it's worth considering coming off the anti inflammatories, or trying a different one.

I initially took Paracetamol, Diclofenac and Dihydrocodeine for Fibro. Full dose of the first 2, and 2 out of 4, or 3 out of 4 for the codeine. When I was diagnosed I was given Amitriptyline to take daily with my paracetamol and could use diclofenac and codeine as and when I needed it.

I know take Tramacet which is Tramadol and Paracetamol combined and find it much less abrasive on my stomach and bowels than the previous regime. I also take Fluoxetine and Amitriptyline for sleep and to boost my mood.

Sometimes we have to play around with different meds to see which work for us, and which don't.
'Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy' - Anne Frank

TMJ, RLS, HMS, Fibro, Dyspraxia - ASD + Dyscalculia overlap, Eczema + Rosacea + suspected Psoriatic Arthritis.

Being an Adult is nothing like it said in the brochure...!
Ldyalb
UKFM Regular

Postby mand » Thu May 17, 2012 3:08 pm

Hi again, what has started or aggrivated the pain is sitting down watching my daughter in a compertition, i was up and down plus going outside for walks the next day soooo stiff, i feel sick with the pain but moving around as i am not going to stop at a standstill as im sure i will seize up..... on the plus side my ironings getting done :lol:

i used to take diclofenac then realised after id taken it....ooppss stomach, gp said take it as a short term measure, but since IBS and gastritis diagnosed, 5HTP ive taken it since last year it helps with the feeling of a more restful sleep i do wake in the night and some nights only a few hours sleep, i can function a little better, dont know if it helps with fatigue or i am noticing symptoms earlier....

im not happy about taking prescribed meds and im fighting against fibro...denial and not comming to terms, my head thinks im a sprightly 18 im 46 and feel ive a body of an old croc, and frightened of gaining more weight and reluctant to try heavier pain killers incase they knock me out and i cannot work/function........ i feel stupid at times having feelings like this......well your the first to know as i have never discussed this with anybody, cannot get my head around it but i presume its part of the proceess of comming to terms and accepting :penguin: and in the meantime carry on reguardless
mand
UKFM Member

Postby funny_wonder » Thu May 17, 2012 9:58 pm

diclofenac (Voltarol) can cause stomach problems for some people, especially if taken on an empty stomach. I was on it for a long time because my GP at the time refused to give me anything else (one of the 'It's all in your imagination anyway' fraternity). I had nausea & vomiting almost all the time. To cut a long story short, my new GP (I've been with her about 6 years now) took me off it, put me on slow release tramadol instead. That doesnt leave me pain free but it is definitely more effective. As already stated here, diclofenac is an anti inflammatory but FMS is not associated with inflammation. Tramadol can be topped up with paracetamol or cocodamol if necessary so you'd have that option for bad days. Although codeine is notorious for causing constipation if taken frequently so that's something to bear in mind. Pregabalin (Lyrica) is another option, I find the combination of that and Tramadol has been a lifesaver for me. Keeps the pain to manageable levels most of the time with minimum impact on my stomach, a big bonus since I have IBS.
funny_wonder
UKFM Member

Postby mand » Mon May 21, 2012 8:29 pm

NOW WHAT DO I DO.............aahhrrff :facepalm: . Saw GP and he will not prescribe anything stronger :shock: , says it can make tummy worse stay on co codamol, results from biopsies and all ok, which is good :-D ...

hope weathers ok and no rain, pain is worse when raining/cold..... i will see how i get on yep i can understand why reluctant as he said it will put the ibs back and im going to start the process of elimination etc, i felt pigged off to tell you the truth, presumed he could wave his ole magic wand, he wants to see me in a few months if alls well and sooner if i need to

no hot drinks spicy stuff etc for gastritis and look into diet i know bread affects me, pain from pasta from time to time, red meats...think i will start wheat :-| .......any tips would be welcome ....many thanks mandy :-D
mand
UKFM Member

Postby Ldyalb » Mon May 21, 2012 9:18 pm

It's worth looking into allergy intollerance. keep a note of when it happens to see if there's a pattern. My acid reflux is 99.9% of the time after breakfast. So now I avoid hot drinks at breakfast and make sure to eat breakfast slowly, eat less of it (I'm a pig in the morning) and chew it thoroughly which helps. Plus I take a Lansoprazole as soon as I wake, then eat 30 mins later.

wrt avoiding red meat and wheat etc. I'm a veggie and have loads of meat free recipes, decent alternatives to red meat for things like bolognese etc. Loads avoid pasta etc as my bf and I don't want people to accuse us of living off of pasta lol. feel free to shout if you want to nab some ideas off me. Quorn and Soy Mince are both excellent alternatives so you can still eat your fave dishes if you like mince dishes. Lentil cottage pie is also way way nicer than it sounds :-)

If you're a fan of curries etc then try some cocounut ones as they're not spicy. curry goes surprisingly well with mash instead of rice. You can also do a spice free 'chilli' with a jacket potato etc to avoid rice, pasta etc.

You could also try going back and asking him for a higher dose of the omeprazole. My Dad takes Domperidone for stomach issues and IBS and finds it works well at treating both. If you get a bad attack of acid reflux I've found having a hot bath helps to ease the pain whilst I wait for it to subside.

I hope you get some relief soon :fingerscrossed:
'Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy' - Anne Frank

TMJ, RLS, HMS, Fibro, Dyspraxia - ASD + Dyscalculia overlap, Eczema + Rosacea + suspected Psoriatic Arthritis.

Being an Adult is nothing like it said in the brochure...!
Ldyalb
UKFM Regular

Postby Melbi_UK » Wed May 23, 2012 12:10 pm

Melbi_UK
UKFM Member

Return to Treatments & Medication