[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Resolution Magic.....Fact or BullWazzle?????

Resolution Magic.....Fact or BullWazzle?????

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Resolution Magic.....Fact or BullWazzle?????

Postby FluppyPuffy » Tue May 22, 2012 10:28 am

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/real-life- ... ter-843085
This is the central story of the "paper's" (insert the word "comic" if necessary) Health and Lifestyle pages. When I read it, I did have to check the date to make sure it wasn't April Fools Day and the past month or so has just been a dream :shock: :shock: :shock:

The "creator" says she has rid herself of migraines and ME, so it looks like the answer to our problems has been around for 25 years, it's just no~one has let us know.

To me, it just reads like it is CBT in another party frock, as it identifies triggers, increases mindfullness, and helps with coping strategies. I know the power of the mind can be phenomenal, and how CBT~type techniques can be beneficial from my own experiences, but surely if thinking yourself better is all it needs, and the number of times we will have forcefully told our various conditions and problems to go away in short jerky movements, then we should all be rid of all the things affecting us :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

No doubt there will be those that it has helped to varying degrees. However, if it is as effective on conditions like FM etc, then surely the NHS would be actively promoting it's claims and benefits as a treatment rather than the varying meds cocktails so many of us rattle thru each day :-? :-? :-? :-? :-? :-? :-? :-? :-? :-?

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Re: Resolution Magic.....Fact or BullWazzle?????

Postby chrisgoneferal » Tue May 22, 2012 10:49 am

I have just been told that as my pan has been 4 on a scale of 10...I can re frame that now to be normal and so that is only zero now.....lovely woman told me that trying to be helpful but where does that leave me and the pain??

If all the NHS has to offer is various ways of telling us to forget it...what are we paying them for?

I hated CBT seemed more about me supporting the therapist than anything else......

If we cannot be cured I would at least like some respect an I don't believe any of the quick fix things because if they worked we'dd be fixed.

wishing you all well

Chrisx
chrisgoneferal
UKFM Member

Postby TeeferTiger » Tue May 22, 2012 11:11 am

I've said before that my pain doesn't seem as bad as it was when it first started (chronic migraines with new daily persistent headache) but that I wondered whether I'd just got used to the pain and therefore it was now only a 4 on my new scale where as it was about a 7 before?

Anyway, back to the article... Considering I was in denial for months and that it would just go away and I'd be all better again, even when I thought I would be having surgery to stop it and that there was a light at the end of the tunnel (they switched the light off when they changed diagnosis) my head didn't just stop hurting. Heck, it didn't even start hurting less!

CBT type stuff is good for distraction, taking the edge off slightly by forcing me to relax, but's no cure!
TeeferTiger
UKFM Member

Postby busy mummy » Tue May 22, 2012 5:38 pm

Have to go with the BullWazzle on his one Fluppy.

The first, glaringly obvious error, to me anyway, is that Migraine headaches are NOT caused by electrical impulses. They are caused by the blood vessels in the brain narrowing and so reducing the supply.

This lady clearly suffered tension headaches, which could quite likely be 'cured' with CBT or hypnotherapy, she is not 'cured' though as in her own words, when she 'feels the headache coming' she starts the visualisation techniques, therefore she has found a 'control device' not a 'cure'.

Dermatitis is also frequently caused by stress related illness, so again, this 'control' could work in that case.

Resolution Magic??? Naah, Hocus Pocus.

Sarah x
busy mummy
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Tue May 22, 2012 8:52 pm

eeny meeny mini mo Bullwazzle from me too :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby Melbi_UK » Wed May 23, 2012 12:01 pm

My physio would laugh at this article I'm quite sure.

Last wee during our session she discussed how pain is transmitted and in particular for chronic pain. I posted about it somewhere on here.

Anyhow, while she was discussing this we all said so it's mind over matter - ouch she didn't like that term and said a distinctive NO it isn't.

I went on to so if it is the brain that is sending these pain signals then we ought to be able to stop them right?

Wrong!

She drew a diagram on the board, a large square with a small square inside it. She asked me which is the subconscious and which is the conscious state. The subconscious is so much bigger than our conscious state that it can be almost impossible to overcome it, if not impossible at all, as our subconscious holds everything that ever happened to us. The subconscious is the stronger of the two and very powerful as we are not aware of it.
Yes, I do agree that we can sometimes use our conscious state to over rule some pain, some events other wise we would all be in that deep dark hole as we ahve all experienced the most terrible things in our life time. But pain can be associated with so many different things that have happened to us and each one is embedded unknowingly in our subconscious.
Melbi_UK
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Wed May 23, 2012 3:30 pm

Bullwazzle was the only thought I had when I saw it, I did wonder if was a new course running at Hogwarts ;-) ;-) ;-)

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby shazq » Wed May 23, 2012 4:14 pm

Sorry but its Bullwazzle from me too :lol:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Return to Treatments & Medication