[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Decent pain relief, suggestions pleeeeease !!!!!!!

Decent pain relief, suggestions pleeeeease !!!!!!!

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Decent pain relief, suggestions pleeeeease !!!!!!!

Postby shari » Wed May 30, 2012 2:29 pm

At present I am on Tramadol for my pain. And have been for 4 yrs. The trouble is, it no
longer works for me. If I take too many, I cant sleep. As far a relieving pain it is no
help to me at all. For the past 2 weeks I was on Morphine, because I was in terrible
pain. But have stopped taking it now everything has calmed down.
Can anyone just tell me the pain relief they are on, and how good they find their
medication. I am seeing the GP for a pain medication revue in June. And would like to
be armed with some suggestions I can talk about with him. I also want to do my homework
prior to seeing him. I was thinking of Dihydracodeine. Which I have taken before.
The Morphine was great, but I was never going to get that on a long term basis,
due to the fact it made me terribly constipated. And I felt lousy on it.
So any feedback on the meds you are taking, the positives, and also the negatives,
would be grately appreciated. Thanks everyone
shari
UKFM Member

Re: Decent pain relief, suggestions pleeeeease !!!!!!!

Postby tortoise24 » Wed May 30, 2012 2:38 pm

hi there sorry your struggling at the moment. im on a fentanyl patch unfortunately i need lactulos to go with it, im on amitriptyline and pregabli and when things are bad i take ketaprofen too x hope you get some relief soon xxxxx
tortoise24
UKFM Member

Postby shazq » Wed May 30, 2012 4:14 pm

Hi
A lot of the pain meds will cause constipation when you are on them long term, you should get your Gp to prescribe you to some laxatives (a stool softener type) that will help.

Another problem with long term meds is your body does become used to them and they stop working so a change around can be a good thing every now and again.

I am on tramadol, Ami`s & duloxetine for my pain.
Its just a bit of trail & error with pain meds as what works for one might not work for another, here is a link of some meds used in the treatment of fibro, hope it helps.-
http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Fibromyalg ... tment.aspx
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby FluppyPuffy » Wed May 30, 2012 5:04 pm

I was going to post the same linky that Shaz has given you. Did the morphine actually help you?? If so, with recent changes in guidlines about the meds used in dealing with chronic pain conditions, there is a good chance that you could have the morphine prescribed, along with something to ease the effects of constipation.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby shari » Wed May 30, 2012 6:59 pm

Thanks guys. I'm thinking about asking to go onto Cymbalta. The morphine was good for the severity of pain I was in. But the GP was giving me the usual lecture about addiction. I was trying to explain that I am addicted to Tramadol, so what difference does it make. Also, I said, wasn't it more important to have my pain controlled.
I'm on an anti depressant for depression already. And have been for 15 yrs. The worry I have is Cymbalta will mess that up.
Fluppy, have you anymore info on the changes in the guidelines, reg meds for chronic pain conditions. Maybe a link. I didn't know any of this. So thanks very much for telling me.
shari
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Wed May 30, 2012 8:17 pm

Found these linkys that may be of help Shari
http://www.nice.org.uk/newsroom/pressre ... deline.jsp
http://www.pjonline.com/news/opioids_gu ... ronic_pain
I can't find the thing I originally saw unfortunately :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: These linkys mention palliative care and opioid use, the linky I was after was an expert answering a few questions, some of which were about the use of opioids in chronic pain conditions as well as those receiving palliative care, and the answer was that all chronic pain problems/conditions will be covered with this new advice.

They didn't get chance to ask about different docs interpreting these new guidelines in different ways tho, which is always a possibility. Might be worth seeing how your GP interprets it.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby shari » Thu May 31, 2012 1:05 pm

Many thanks FluppyPuffy

Those articles are really interesting and informative. I now have plenty of ammo, or info, lol, to
Talk to the doc about. :chicken-dance:
shari
UKFM Member

Return to Treatments & Medication