Pain clinic and steroid injections

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Pain clinic and steroid injections

Postby NinaT » Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:04 pm

Today I went to see an Extended Scope Practitioner ( I think it's a posh name for a Physiotherapist ) full of hope that he had the elusive magic wand to cure all my ills. Sadly I came out of the meeting feeling like a child whose string has come away from their balloon and they've just watched it drift away :(

He was focusing his attention on my neck as this has been a source of considerable pain over the years and is becoming progressively worse, leading to severe migraines or on a good day 'just' a headache. I have had x-rays done in the past which haven't revealed anything out of the ordinary as far as the bones are concerned, but he is of the opinion that there is muscle strain/wear. He is convinced that the FM is partly to blame but is also mentioning Rheumatoid Arthritis. I am now to be referred to a pain clinic with the intention of receiving steroid injections into the neck. He has explained that this is not a long term treatment and is only really a stop gap to 'get me on top of my symptoms' and that I have to carry on treating it with pain-killers and an improved posture. The posture I can work on, the pain-killers ( as we all know ) will be about as much use as a chocolate fire-guard :cry:

Has anyone tried steroid injections as a treatment and have they found them to be of any benefit ?

I have had one before in my back when I had a prolapsed disc ( ended up having it operated on ) which did absolutely nothing to relieve the pain, so not holding out much hope.
Last edited by NinaT on Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NinaT
UKFM Member

Re: Pain clinic and steroid injections

Postby wenchsammas » Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:23 pm

I've had them twice now there was one done in my shoulders which loosened and eased my neck no end I felt like a new woman they were called "Suprascrapular Nerveblock and trigger point injections" They were like I had been poked with this magical wand I felt amazing after
I'm going to hell in every religion
But that's ok I'll be warm and know people there
wenchsammas
UKFM Newbie

Postby lizruss62 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:23 am

Ive had several of these injections, carried out by the Neurologist at my hospital. They were to help my fibro migraines. They would help me for about 4 months, and then back to square one. He has now refused to do anymore, as he says he can not keep pumping the stuff in my body permenantly. Its only supposed to be a short term fix. But with fibro, this will never be a short fix. I just have to learn to deal with it and try new medications. More medications. Im on 56 a day already, and Matrifen patches! The injections hurt like a bitch, but at least they relieved the pain a while. xx :(
lizruss62
UKFM Member

Postby NinaT » Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:05 pm

Thank you all for your responses. No doubt there is a waiting list as long as my arm for the pain clinic. Will keep fingers crossed for a positive outcome :-|
NinaT
UKFM Member

Return to Treatments & Medication