[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Fentanyl patch -> Oxycontin: Mistake?

Fentanyl patch -> Oxycontin: Mistake?

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Fentanyl patch -> Oxycontin: Mistake?

Postby tentimes » Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:29 pm

Hi,

I just wanted some opinions/expereience please if you have any thoughts.

I have been on Fentanyl 25mcg patches for over a year. They worked very well, but very often the third day I was getting withdrawals. I went to the Doctor about this and am feeling a little bit swindled (maybe for no good reason). She has put me on 10mg Oxycontin twice daily (a lot cheaper).

I am concerned that it won't be as good as the patches, which gave me virtually no side effects plus really good pain control. The third day problem was an issue though.

It's only my second day, but I feel really tired and sluggish and a lot of the pain is back. I am unsure what to do. I will give it some more time, but would love to hear other peoples thoughts on this change.

Thanks,

Kevin
tentimes
UKFM Member

Re: Fentanyl patch -> Oxycontin: Mistake?

Postby Dodz » Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:04 pm

It may take a while for your body to adjust to a different drug, you might even be having partial withdrawal from the fentanyl because I think these two drugs work on different opiod receptors in the brain..you probably need to give it a couple of weeks before for body to get used to the change in meds..
Dodz
UKFM Newbie

Postby tentimes » Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:16 pm

Good point. Fentanyl is a u-opoid receptor agonist and oxycodone κ2b-opioid agonist. God only knows how the crossover will take effect. I feel pretty miserable at the moment, so will give it a week or two and report back.
tentimes
UKFM Member

Postby millymoodoo » Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:42 pm

Hi

I am also on Fentanyl patches 100mcg and find the 3rd day not as well controlled only thing is i haven't mentioned this to my GP. Just out of curiosity do you tend to get very hot, i do and thought that was why it was not lasting!!! I have never been on oxcodeine, is it a patch aswell?

Milly :-D xx
Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them get up!!! When life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!! Everyday is a gift which is why we call it the present
millymoodoo
UKFM Member

Postby tentimes » Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:24 pm

Well it has been a week now and after getting the dose put up (20mg Oxycontin every 12 hours) I can report that it is a huge improvement.

I would never have believed it. I thought patches were the best, but (for me!) I was proved wrong. ALSO, and more importantly, I am a LOT less fatigued than I was. I feel like I have woken up after an 18 month long dream. I feel like myself again! Maybe it is just a drug honeymoon, but I am happy so far.

The downside is that the pills don't last 12 hours, even though they are supposed to. For me they are at their best for about the first 6 hours and taper off significantly after 8. I was offered Oxycodone for the breakthrough but I don't trust myself to have those in the house. The patches were leaving me in the pits of depression every third day, and losing effectiveness. Maybe I was becoming tolerant to Fentanyl.

In answer to Milly (sorry Milly, took me a while to get to you ;) these are pills and I did used to get hot flushes sometimes with the patch. Actually just generally felt hot. I was only on 25mcg though. 100mcg is a different story. And most importantly, as we all keep saying on the forum, medicines are really, really individual. Reading this forum really has shown that to be true - I get totally different reactions/relief from drugs than other people on the same meds. I am sure others will agree with this point.

I am asking myself some questions about Fentanyl though. It seems to me that although it was good at controlling pain (when it was getting into my system) it was also acting as a bit of a chemical kosh too. I really do feel much more with it on the oxycontin.

Anyway, I thought I would post back to let people know what happened as it is always useful (I think) to hear what luck people are having with differen medications.
tentimes
UKFM Member

Postby shazq » Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:05 pm

Agree,Oxycontin is a good med, i was on it a while back. I would still be on it now but a neuro doc told me to come off it because of migraines. :(
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Return to Treatments & Medication