[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Alternative to Amitriptyline?

Alternative to Amitriptyline?

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Alternative to Amitriptyline?

Postby xMandiex » Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:41 pm

Hi all,

I have been on Amitriptyline since January, and am currently on 25mg. Although they are meant to help me sleep, according to my other half, my sleeping has got alot worse, with me waking up if he even so much as turns over in the night, although I don't remember waking throughout the night the next morning, and have to rely on how full or empty my drink is that I take to bed with me to tellme how much I have woken in the night and this is happening almost every night now. What alternatives are there, or should I ask the doc to try upping the dose on the Amitriptyline?

Mandie
xMandiex
UKFM Member

Re: Alternative to Amitriptyline?

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:59 pm

You could see about a change in dosage Mandie and see how it goes, or you could see about an alternative. Nortriptyline is what is often given as an alternative to the amis. It is said to be better tolerated and have fewer side effects. The best thing to do is see your GP and talk thru what alternatives might be suitable for you.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby rsjc84 » Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:30 pm

I was on amitriptyline for a few years and hated it I felt like a zombie all day even after sleeping for 10-12 hours
I begged my doctor to change it (this is before I was diagnosed with FM) and he gave me nortriptyline and I loved it
I wasn't a zombie any more I felt much better and even able to cope in stressful
Situations that I wouldent of on amitriptyline
BUT my doctor is now taking me off nortriptyline as I'm geting a few side affects
The dry mouth is common but I was getting some other problems as well
So if you don't get too many side affects its brill
I don't know what my doctor will be putting me on next as I have asthma as
Well and aparantly this restricts what I can have :( xxx
rsjc84
UKFM Newbie

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:30 pm

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby chelseagirl » Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:35 am

Hi everyone,
Im very new to this. ive had fms for 4 years now. just wondering if any of you have tried Topiramate? I was on Pregabalin first but it didnt agree with me so they started me on Topiramate with 5mg of Amitrytaline too.
chelseagirl
UKFM Newbie

Postby sjc » Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:54 am

Hi. I tried amitrypline a few times in the past, but they made me really irritable and like a zombie. A GP has now prescribe me an anti-depressant called imipramine. They for depression but used for sleep issues, pain, etc. Take care. Xx
sjc
UKFM Member

Postby shazq » Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:16 pm

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Return to Treatments & Medication