[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Does anyone find medication helps with their pain?

Does anyone find medication helps with their pain?

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Does medication help you with pain?

Yes, the medication I take helps and I have little or no pain
4%
Yes somewhat, I have good days and bad days
54%
No, the medication I take has little or no effect on my pain
42%
I take herbal/alternative medicine/treatments which are effective
No votes
I don't take any medication
No votes

Total votes : 24

Does anyone find medication helps with their pain?

Postby Katblack » Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:22 pm

I would like to find out if the medication people take helps them or not and what you are taking, if you don't mind disclosing that information.

The medication I take doesn't seem to help much with my pain, although I do notice when I miss a dose.
Currently I am taking:
Tramadol 50mg 3 x a day
Gabapentin 500mg 3 x a day
Paracetamol 1000mg 3 x a day
Codiene 45mg 1 x a day (at bedtime)
Fluoxetine 20mg 1 x a day
Lansoprazole 15mg 1 x a day
I have had to stop taking Ibuprofen as it has damaged my stomach again.
Kat x

Scoliosis, 2 major spinal surgeries, DDD in neck and lumbar spine, Spondylolisthesis, HMS and now FM!
"I love deadlines. I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by." - Douglas Adams.
Katblack
UKFM Member

Re: Does anyone find medication helps with their pain?

Postby misssbond » Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:45 pm

Yes, I take pregablin 100mg 3 times a day, duloxetine 60mg once a day, amitriptyline 20mg at night and levothyroxine 50mcg once a day. My pain reduced considerably about 3 weeks after starting pregabling and duloxetine.

I whole heartedly recommend getting this if possible. I had to be referred to the pain clinic to get it.
misssbond
UKFM Newbie

Postby lizruss62 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:46 pm

Hi I am currently on:
Co dydramol x 8
Methocarbamol x 8
Amitrityline x 3. As u can see, I am on a coctail. Still have severe attacks.
Clonazepam x 2
Singulair x 1
Pizotfen x 2
Adartrel x 2
Senna x 4
Temazepam x 1
Detrusitol x 2
Matrifen patches x 1 every 3 days
Pethedin as needed
Diazepam as needed
Topirimate x 2.
Tramadol SR x 2
Venlaflaxine x 2
Lanzaprazol x 1
Lactulose x 6tsp
Risperidone x 2

Liquid parafin x 4tsp
lizruss62
UKFM Member

Postby iseult » Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:46 pm

I taken prescription strength cocodamol when necessary but generally I don't take any medication. I found I had fibro when I came off duloxetine after 6 years of being on that and previously venlafaxine for depression. I am not going back on SNRI meds unless it because a matter of walking or not. I am much happier a person off these which just evened me out miserable and didn't resolve my depression at all. I also reacted very badly to the weaning off process so I really don't want to go there again! Whenever I speak to my GP about my fibro they immediately want to put me back on duloxetine or another similar drug.

At the moment I am able to manage most of my symptoms through a programme of exercise. It was very hard to begin and maintain initially - I do understand the fact that sufferers say that overexerting themselves makes thing so much worse, honestly I do.... at one time I was walking with a stick.... and after starting with a personal trainer I would cry during and after the exercise and be unable to walk the next day without heavy duty painkillers... but now I find that so long as I keep it up - regardless of exhaustion or pain - I stave off the worst of the symptoms. As soon as I don't exercise more more than a couple of weeks the more extreme symptoms return with a vengeance! I coerced a friend and fellow sufferer into starting intense exercise too... and she too is feeling much better now.

I realise we are all different and our symptoms vary but honestly, I can't recommend exercise highly enough. Some days I am even mostly pain free. And the exhaustion is no longer so debilitating all the time. Please don't think I am criticising in any way. I am not. Really. But I do know that when I started developing symptoms the worse the pain got the less I did and the protective of myself I became. And the worst I got as my pain threshold got lower and lower.

Anyway, good luck with whatever you are doing - I hope you take my recommendations with the respect and hope that I offer them - and gentle hugs :-D
iseult
UKFM Member

Postby iseult » Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:59 pm

as you can tell from my typos, grammar and occasional lack of sense making my regime doesn't always do much for my brain fog :-D
iseult
UKFM Member

Postby linoak90 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:01 pm

Hi there I take

Co-codamol 30/500mg x2 four times a day
Gabapentin 900mg three times a day
Prochlorperazine 3mg twice a day
Efexor xl 225mg at night
Zopiclone 7.5mg at night
Buprenorphine 70 patches
B12 jab every 12 weeks

Day to day I am still in a lot of pain but boy do I notice if i miss a dose.
Lin. X
linoak90
UKFM Member

Postby mangowl » Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:39 pm

amitryptiline 10mg once a day - which does enable me to sleep
diclofenic 75mg twice a day - keeps the swelling in my joints to a minimum so enabling movement
lodocaine patch on my left knee every day unless I know I am not going out

like one of the other respondees I find ensuring I do regular gentle exercise coupled with pacing myself and ensuring I get to bed before 9:30pm at least 5 nights each week helps keep the worst of the pain symptoms away. over tiredness, lack of activity and stress make everything worse.

Pat
mangowl
UKFM Member

Postby gemgems » Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:48 pm

Tramadol SR 100mg twice daily
This helps but doesn't take away my pain. I still work 3 days per week. And find I need the painkillers to be able to work as I'm constantly on my feet. On days off I can omit the odd one depending on how the previous day has been. I agree though that exercise helps alto even though I may struggle at the time I feel better after. The struggle then is the fatigue but that's another story..........
gemgems
UKFM Newbie

Postby fliss » Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:14 pm

mine doesnt work but i notice if i miss a dose i take
30mgxdihydrocodeine x 3
45mg morphine x 2
paracetamol 1000mg x 5
neotigason 25mg x 1
lansoprazole 15mg x 1
cetirizine 10mg x 1
naproxen 250mg x 4
citalopram 20mg x 2
amitriptyline 50mg x 2
manivac 15mg x1
iv probably forgot some but my brain has gone,i also use tiger balm and chinese herbal back patches and deep heat and deep freeze,ill giv owt a go ,tried gabapentin and pregablin but they both caused my tremors/twitches to get violent xx
fliss
UKFM Member

Postby tabithakat64 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:38 pm

I take 400mg Tramadol, 75mg Amitriptyline and perscription strength Iborprofen (sp?), I still get symptoms and pain but it's no longer the unbareable agony that I had suffered with for years prior to diagnosis.
tabithakat64
UKFM Member

Postby tentimes » Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:40 pm

I take Oxycontin 20mg twice daily and it does help a lot with the pain. I had to fight tooth and nail to get pain relief over the years though and I suspect that a substantial amount of people who do not get relief are just being fobbed off by the doctor. I suspect that the higher up the pain ladder you go the less pain people will have.
tentimes
UKFM Member

Postby shazq » Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:01 pm

I used to be on oxycontin and did find it a good pain med, it was my neuro doc that took it away amongst other meds as thought it was connected to migraines i having.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby sknowles456 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:45 pm

I take 30/500 co codamol x 2 4 times a day and 10mg of Oromorph prn every 2 hours although i only take it on average once a day coz i know doctors don't like you taking it. When i have bad flare ups the cocodamol doesn't hit it. I can't take tramadol coz it makes me depressed. What is and how do they work.........Gabapentin and Pregablin?
sknowles456
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:41 pm

Gabapentin and Pregabalin are often used to help manage FM. They were originally anticonvulsents used to help with certain types of epilepsy.

They work by changing the way in which nerves send messages to the brain. If nerves are damaged or not working properly, they constantly send pain impulses to the brain. The pain signals sent by our overly sensitive nerves are effectively dampened down with the med.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby sknowles456 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:47 pm

Thanks, i already take an anticonvulsant called Sodium Valporate for my bi polar disorder so i wonder whether i would be able to take Gabapentin and Pregablin also!? I am awaiting to see a rheumatologist. Maybe he will be able to advise!?
sknowles456
UKFM Member

Return to Treatments & Medication