[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Put on propranolol for sweats....but have asthma

Put on propranolol for sweats....but have asthma

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Put on propranolol for sweats....but have asthma

Postby MichelleJ » Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:45 pm

Went the drs yesterday as an emergency and saw a locum. He was very helpful. Changed my painkillers round to give me the codeine and paracetamol separately as said it'll work better after I had to come off tramadol last week and onto co-codamol 30/500. He also has given me a course of steroids to try to ease the pain in my shoulder and ribs as feel like I've had bricks thrown at ribs and shuolders feels like its ripping in half when I move it. Have to say, it does seem easier today so prob a combination of steroids working and the straight codeine.

I also asked about my sweats as they're becoming impossible to deal with. Its constant, don't have to move even now to make it come on and drench me. Its my head, face, chest, back, under boobs and sometimes arms and legs, butt, groin, but not under arms, anti-perspirant seems to work there! Really starting to limit the limited things I was managing, sometimes even leaving the bed as can't put clothes on when its really bad :(

Anyway, I told him I really needed some help with them and he suggested going on beta-blockers. He did my blood pressure and pulse to check they weren't too low for them and then prescribed me propranolol. I had told him I have asthma and he would realise it can be severe as I said i'd had many courses of steroids for my attacks over the year and he had repeated this to a g.p with more fibro experience over the phone when deciding how to get me through to my pre booked appointment with regular g.p. But when I got home I took one and then read the box and leaflet and it said DO NOT take if you have asthma. :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: didn't have a reaction to it though but googled it and panicked myself. :yikes: Spoke to pharmacist this morning and he said it can make it worse but if controlled should be safe for me and to take it till I can phone the dr on monday to check they realise the link. Have had todays and no reaction either.

My question is, has anyone else been prescribed a beta blocker for fibro related sweating, did it help, and has anyone else been put on them with asthma, especially asthma that has a history of being severe, brittle and required hospitalisation, even if its been controlled for the past 2-3 years or so?
Dx with fibromyalgia m.e/Cfs and asthma
MichelleJ
UKFM Member

Re: Put on propranolol for sweats....but have asthma

Postby denys » Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:52 pm

Try not to worry too much Michelle, you havent had a reaction yet so just be aware its only tomorrow to get through before speaking to the docs and if its helping then its worth it for now, I have asthma and have had to have stuff you shouldn't take occasionally and the first couple of doses are always a bit scary :hugs: :hugs:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:58 pm

I'm on propranolol Michelle, but mine are for migraine. Like you, I've been having major problems with the sweats lately, and asked my GP about them yesterday. He didn't say anything about the betablockers helping the sweats, as I've still got a little movement in my dosage, instead we did some anti~d swapping as they are also said to help ease the sweats. Just got to see what happenes, as I need to wean myself off the current anti~d before I start its replacement.

No help with the asthma either I'm afraid, so far that collectors card hasn't appeared in my collection :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby MichelleJ » Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:14 pm

Thanks ladies, I'm actually hoping the propranolol suits me and my own g.p isn't horrified i've been given it (sure she ruled them out a while back) as I have a lot of bad migraines and while my migramax do help I'd love to have less of them and was pleased to see that these can help with them. I think its panicked me more because i'm allergic to anti inflammatories cos of my asthma. can take aspirin though. It does seem to be helping a bit I think, still sweating but seems to be easing quicker so hopefully with longer i'll see it ease.

I did google excessive sweats earlier and found its proper name and a list of possible treatments so think there are other options if it turns out i shouldn't have been put on these.

Copied some of the links, thought they may help others as know i'm not alone with this.

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Hyperhidro ... ction.aspx

http://www.patient.co.uk/health/Excessive-Sweating.htm

http://www.hyperhidrosisuk.org/
MichelleJ
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:25 pm

Thanks Michelle, I'll have a look at them, it would be great to find something that helps ease them, even just a little bit would be nice :wave: :wave: :wave:

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby globetrotterjo » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:05 pm

I have asthma contolled by Seretide steroid inhaler and I am on Proprananol for my Restless Leg Syndrome and anxiety attacks at a 20mg dose as and when I need it. I have been on it off and on for over 8 years. I used to be on 80mg a few years ago for my migraines. It has never interferred with asthma other than when I have used my inhaler and taken tabs at the same time. In that case I get a bit breathless. However, if I leave an hour between the two I'm absolutely fine. My GP is quite happy to prescribe it as I haven't had a severe reaction. Hope it works for you too. x
globetrotterjo
UKFM Newbie

Postby MichelleJ » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:10 pm

Thanks globetrotterjo. I'm on seretide too for mine. I've been started on 40mg a day for first week due to move up to 3 times a day over next few weeks. I get restless everything, always shaking and jerking so maybe they'll help with that too.
MichelleJ
UKFM Member

Return to Treatments & Medication