[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Oramorph....

Oramorph....

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Oramorph....

Postby darkcyde » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:41 pm

Is anyone else taking Oramorph? if so, what dose?

im taking 5ml for breakthrough pain on top of my regular tramadol and paracetamol....both max dose, but nothing seems to touch the pain.

it was suggested to me to try holding the oramorph liquid in my mouth under my tongue for at least 5 mins, so am trying that now.
darkcyde
UKFM Member

Re: Oramorph....

Postby sknowles456 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:56 pm

i am taking 10ml for breakthrough pain prn up to every 2 hours but usually only take this 4 times a day, I also take Tramadol and codamol 30/500 but am not sure i should be taking these 2 together, need to speak to the doctor and get referred to a pain clinic. I may query the morphine patch as that gives a more steady dose of pain relief!?

Suzy x
sknowles456
UKFM Member

Postby babajane32 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:28 am

HI,i could be very wrong here,but having been trhough pain clining and a large range of medication,i keep coming up with documents and medical advice stating morphine is actually not very affective for fibro ...I'm currently on tramadol 400mg , pregabalin 200mg, amatryptaline 50mg , along with a coctail of other pills for other compliations/conditions, with top up paracetamol or co-codamol...i have not slept more than 2 hours in one go for many years,with an excellent nights sleep being a total of 4 hours sleep with waking every hour during that 4 hour period and have had things like naproxin etc included, but due to asthma have had those stopped...summary now...still hurt like hell every single day,numbness worse (doc says side affects of meds..but had numbness for years) also have samutrapin for blinding meagraines.. i have better days and worse day,but just one pain free day would be amazing...all the meds combined i would say just take the edge off it ,nothing more. I dont want to sounds too negative, but have serious doubts that oramorph is either effective or the answer until other med combos have been tried,theres a whole battery to try and for some years many of the pills i have now have held it all at bay to some degree or other. The pain clinic wasn't the answer in total for me,but certainly helped !! But most of all the pain clinic put me in touch with some good, like conditioned freinds that have been able to share effects and experiances that have given me more help than any doc has managed to :) Well worth asking for a referal me thinks .
babajane32
UKFM Member

Postby miller » Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:08 am

l really sympathise with you was trying to write a reply but dont know what went wrong i have only ever commented on a post never wrote my own dont know how to do iy can somebody please help me
miller
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:38 am

Miller if you want to start your own post click into the board you want to post into such as General topics and at the top there is a button which says new topic, click that a post box will open, put in your title write in the box and submit as usual hope this helps

darkcyde I dont take oramorph but others on here do, my doc is one of the ones who says it's not effective for FM
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby darkcyde » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:43 am

I found last night with the tounge trick that i felt more relaxed....i could feel my arms and legs actually loose tension.....and the extremities felt a little numb, but apart from that the pain was still there.

My GP seems to feel that this is all he can do for me regarding pain, so i might take a list of what others are taking on here and see what he says.

i think he is concerned with side effects but i dont work, i dont drive, im not allowed to be left alone with our twin boys (due to psychotic episode 4 weeks ago due to gabapentin) so given the choice id rather have less pain than some side effects!
darkcyde
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:47 am

Look on the NHS website and print out the medication list, might help :fingerscrossed:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby Jo43 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:12 pm

Having been on a mixture of very strong drugs for 6 years I can assure you that Oramorph does not work if you take it with Tramadol. They cancel one another out, this has been confirmed by drs. I have Arthritis in hips and spine and Fybro. I take Tramadol 8 x 50mg, Paracetamol 8 x 100mg, Diazapam as a muscle relaxant as needed, Nortriptyline 50mg, Naproxen 3 x 250mg and Filnarine which is a slow release morphine over a 12 hr period at night which with the Nortriptyline makes sure I sleep as I don't if I'm not drugged up. I also take s well as Omeprazole to prevent stomach erosion and Levithyroxine for underactive thyroid. Also Macrogol for inevitable IBS. Have had many other things as well but cannot cope with the side effects but Gabapentin and Pregabalin are supposed to be good if you can handle side effects. I try to limit Oramorph and take it when I need to knock myself out as the pain is unbearable and take 10-15 mg and it does it. It does make me feel very sick so I take Buccastem (get it over the counter) and gives me a bad headache so like I say I only take it if desperate as if I can't control my pain I have to be taken into hospital for them to give me injections of Morphine and to be honest I'd rather be at home.

If taking Oramorph, don't take Tramadol at the same time and vice versa and you should get some effect. :-)
Last edited by Jo43 on Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jo43
UKFM Member

Postby Jo43 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:52 pm

Meant to add on previous post. Don't think anything completely takes the pain away or any other effects of severe pain, the only thing that does for me is to knock myself out completely so I don't toss and turn so much in bed and get some sleep and that helps but doesn't take the pain away and only takes the edge off. Like all people with Fibro I have 'good' (lol, always makes me laugh that 'good') days and bad days. Good days mean I'm in a lot of pain but it's sort of bearable. Bad means I'm bedridden.

Just been to pain clinic and they talked about how Chronic pain works in your body and the suggest relaxation aimed at thinking less about your pain and accepting it. I've done loads of complementary therapies and cranial osteopathy is also based on trying not to think so much about your pain and just accepting it. Sounds weird and is hard, but it does help. When you're in so much pain you think about it all the time, even when you don't realise it, but relaxation and concentrating on other things whilst relaxing, just sounds, seems to push the thought of pain to one side and stops you focussing on it so much. Have a go.

Also been reading about different therapies etc and am currently trying Espsom Salt baths for the extra magnesium. One or two cups full in a bath 2-3 times a week. Got it off ebay/amazon as quite expensive for a small pot from chemists. It's supposed to help with the foggy headedness/concentration issues.

Good luck. x
Jo43
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:46 pm

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Youngone » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:45 pm

Hi All, Fibro since 2004 with hip & spine degeneration also Meralgia Parasthetica. I have been through just about every med used in the treatment of Fibro through an excellent GP & Pain Clinic. After an episode of strange head pains Labrynthitis and Kidney Stones I voluntarily dropped all my meds including Venflaxine Paracetamol Codeine Levocetirizine Rabeprazole only maintaining Durogesic 50mcgh (Fentanyl) Patch.
6 weeks of hell withdrawal from Venflaxine stabilised eventually and resumed use of soluble paracetamol under direction of GP with addition of Oramorph 5-10 ml as required for breakthrough pain.
Back on Rabeprazole and Levocetirizine tend to use Oramorph day three of Fentanyl Patch before changing it as it's effect wears of.
Opioids certainly help me cope and like others sometimes as a semi knockout
Sleep? What's that? I doze at best! Even Temazepam reluctantly prescribed by my GP doesn't help.

I believe my Fibro came on after 3 major abdominal operations within 12 months all with epidural block, the needle came out during the second op and had to be replaced. I now have no colon rectum etc and an ileostomy and bag for life.

No Colon causes problems with medication absorbtion into the body. Anyone else out there with similar experience?
Nigel
Ileostomist with FM & Osteo Arthritis in Back & Hips as a bonus.
Keep fighting and smiling.
Youngone
UKFM Newbie

Postby shazq » Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:15 pm

shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby sknowles456 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:14 pm

i had a burst appendix with peritonitis and then 6 months later pancreatitis, both nearly killed me and i believe made my fm worse!
sknowles456
UKFM Member

Postby darkcyde » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:54 pm

saw gp today and he has now stopped tramadol and is now doing slow release morphine at 40mg a day, topping up witg liquid morphine as needed. see him again in 7 days to see how much liquid ive had to us and will increase tablet dose, and keep going up like that till we find the right dose level that works.

right now im on about 35mg morphine and feel nice and relaxed....still in pain, but muted.....but i can actually feel the muscles droop and relax rather than staying tight as they usually are.
darkcyde
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:36 am

Good to hear darkcyde lets hope you find the right dose asap :-D :-D :-D :-D
Denys

denys
UKFM Veteran

Next

Return to Treatments & Medication