[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Different Makes of Amitriptyline

Different Makes of Amitriptyline

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Different Makes of Amitriptyline

Postby Takeabreaknow » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:04 pm

Hello, I use 30mg of Amitriptyline at night and have done for several years, I find it helps with my sleep which in turns helps with my pain managment during the day. I have noticed that there appears to be quite a difference in the effectivness between 2 makes of this drug and wondered if anyone else had the same experience. Both products say they have the same ingredients. When I put in for my repeat prescription I have a choice of which pharmancy to collect it from but will now make sure I get it from the one whose brand seems to work the best.
I am not sure if we can mention brand names so have left them out here but would be interested to know of other views on this.
Thanks
Takeabreaknow
UKFM Newbie

Re: Different Makes of Amitriptyline

Postby denys » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:24 pm

You need to mention this to your doc, if one brand is not as effective then it needs to be investigated :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby fatalrazkaz » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:25 pm

I have only been given the one brand of Amitriptyline but I also have a blue reliever inhaler and I've found the ones they give you now (unknown brand) do not work as well as the old Ventolin ones so you could be right x
fatalrazkaz
UKFM Member

Postby smoky » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:57 pm

In France where I lie the govt recently did a study of thyroxine and effectiveness by brand... They found large differences in release speed according to the coating used on the pill... they now recommend to use the main brand and not any copies. I wasn't sure when my doc said this but immediately noticed a difference when the brand was changed... no more hot flushes mid morning and eventually a lower dose taken!

It could well be that the dispersal rate for the two types of ami are different, leading to a difference in effectiveness.
smoky
UKFM Member

Postby crazycat36 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:08 pm

Ive been taking ammis for 5yrs of 30mg to help wi sleep and chronic daily headaches and the amount of migranes i suffer from and although there all meant to b exactlly the same one brand works better for me than another and cause i always use the same pharmacy i always get the ones that work for me although a few times for different reasons ive had to use a different chemist and landed up with the other ammis which for me just dont work thinking this was strange i spoke to the pharmasist that gave me the different ammis and she said.mention it to my dr while they check there supplies and the dr checked it out aswell and they hav discovered that its to do with the coating aalthough the one i use works for me others find the other brand works for them same tablet different results for different people all because of a tablet coating whicj i think is mad now my chemist keeps both ammis but takes a note of which one works for which customers xx
crazycat36
UKFM Member

Postby shazq » Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:35 pm

Hi
I have only been given the same make of ami`s but do get different makes on my other meds, i dont notice they have any difference affect on me but they do confuse me because one make could be a tablet the other might be a capsule and some pills might be round & others long. :evil: :lol:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Return to Treatments & Medication