Ropinirole anyone ??

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Ropinirole anyone ??

Postby Mrs T. » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:36 pm

Has anyone been prescribed this ?

My consultant wants me to take it for sleep issues but not sure I like the look of the side effects.
I think gabapentin is sort of similar and was wondering if this one was maybe being suggested cos of cost.
Mrs T.
UKFM Member

Re: Ropinirole anyone ??

Postby Jo43 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:16 am

Hi, Have had many many drugs but not that one. I know that Gabapentin is expensive and Pregabalin more so therefore drs normally start off with Gabapentin when choosing that route but had a rare side effect of Gabapentin in that it stopped me passing urine. I take 30mg Nortryptiline (was on a higher dose but again rare side effect stopped me passing urine so had to come down to 30mg) (can't take Amtryptiline because of side effects, but this one doesn't make you as groggy the next day) with 10mg Filnarine (a slow release morphine that releases over 12 hrs). Normally works but I do have break through's when for about a week I have disrupted sleep and end up having to get up as tossing and turning makes me even worse and then sleep most of the following day. You can use the Filnarine at night and during the day too but I only do so if reallybad. Use 8 x 50mg Tramadol in the day instead as Morphine andTramadol clash and work against one another cancelling out any benefits at all (not a lot of people realise that). Also on 3 x 250mg Naproxen (which I don't find as good as Diclofenac but they stopped prescribing this as found it effects your heart), Omeprazol (to stop Naproxen and Diclofenac rotting my stomach) 2 x 500mg Paracetamol (try to drip feed these one an hour instead of two every two hrs if taking eight a day), Diazapam (only take when bad) and Oramorph (liquid morphine - only take this if really bad to completely knock myself out and sleep through it all as gives me terrible headaches and sickness but take Buccastem to prevent sickness). There are side effects to all drugs but think you have to give the drug time to see if they wear off. Some do, some don't. Put on 3 dress sizes and don't like that side effect at all, lol. Think it's a balancing act. Been trying Epsom Salts baths as read the magnesium is good for clearing up the cloudy headedness of FM and also Vitamin D but only just started on these. Good luck. :-D
Jo43
UKFM Member

Postby winsomewinnie » Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:31 pm

hi Mrs T I have been on ropinirole for about 8 months and to be honest i would not recomend anybody takes this drug especially if your prone to getting the unusual side affects of medication like me its the worst thing i have ever done in my life going on this but i was on it for restless leg sydrome so being on for sleep you might not get the side effects like i did anyway hope your well
winsomewinnie
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:24 pm

After reading winnies post I dont think I'd touch it with a barge pole :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Return to Treatments & Medication