[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - how long before I should increase amitriptyline dose?

how long before I should increase amitriptyline dose?

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Postby frizzylizzy1974 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:38 am

hi all!
new to this forum but wondered if anyone can help please?
started 10mg amitryptiline on thursday for sleep problems Dr said to increase to 20 mg but I can't remember how long he said before increasing the dose! wondered if anyone had any advice please?

it worked well for first couple days but last two nights I've been awake at 3am and 4am, wondering if i should take the 20mg this evening?

any feedback would be greatfully recieved! :-D
Last edited by frizzylizzy1974 on Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
frizzylizzy1974
UKFM Newbie

Re: how long before I should increase amitriptyline dose?

Postby nan2libbyntom » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:42 am

i was advised after 3 to 4 days to up my dose which i did and they made me so dizzy and sick i had to stop taking them i felt like i was on another planet
nan2libbyntom
UKFM Newbie

Postby frizzylizzy1974 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:45 am

thank you nan2libbyntom yes i've heard some people experience terrible side effects, sorry that was the case for you!
think i shall increase the dose this evening and see how it goes,
thank you very much for your reply!
best wishes liz :-D
frizzylizzy1974
UKFM Newbie

Postby shazzie1967 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:05 am

Hi frizzylizzy ..
I new to fm and have spent the last week taken one a night last night was my first on two a night and slept like a baby good luck
shazzie1967
UKFM Newbie

Postby vectra » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:07 am

Hi There, Im on amitriptalene myself and i started taking it 10 years ago and went from 10mg x2 per day, for 2 years to 25mg at night up to present day, i find if i take amitriptalene about 5-15pm by 10-30pm im ready for bed, as for side affects i have to say i don't really have any apart from a dry mouth,im still sleepy when i wake up for about 2 hrs then im fine, i don't agree that any tablets put WEIGHT on i think being inactive is the culprit and eating too much (size of portions) we all feel inactive tired emotional and pain but over eating is what puts the weight on,drink plenty of water as this takes the edge off eating and sweet stuff,ive found amitriptalene a gods send for sleeping but i also take 2 paracetamol as well as my legs jump some nights.Ive been on 25mg for about 8 yrs now, my surgery does'nt perscibe NORTRIPTALENE which is the other one you can use.
vectra
UKFM Member

Postby silentlybroken » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:12 am

I was told to increase by 10mg once a month. No sooner than that. If you increase it too quickly your body doesn't have time to settle and you end up experiencing some yucky symptoms like someone previously in this post.

I've found going up by 10mg monthly has worked well, though I'm now at 70mg with no particular help for me. Waiting for my notes to arrive at my new doctors before I get anything else :/
Sarah
aka SBee

silentlybroken
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:36 am

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby gemgems » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:43 am

Hiya
I started on Ami about 6 weeks ago at 10mg and was told to double after a week. The first few days I felt like a Zombie but persevered cos they say it takes time for you to get used to them. I doubled after 10 days without much problem. I was told by the consultant when getting up for work the next day at 6am I may have to take them as early as 3-4pm the previous day. I do this now and wake up refreshed most mornings now which I haven't done in years. The level of pain isn't any different during the day but I cope better having had a decent sleep!
My only worry is that I'll get used to the dose and have to up it again which I would be very reluctant to do but so far so good!
Good luck! :-P
gemgems
UKFM Newbie

Postby jds1969 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:18 pm

Hello, I've been on Amitriptyline for 2 years, I'm on 50mg a night to make me sleep and I've always been told by my doctor to increase my meds weekly. I also take 20mg Omeprazole for a Hiatus Hernia, 20mg Citalopram for Depression and for my Fibromyalgia I take 6mg a day, 600mg a day of Pregabalin and I wear 30mg Transtec patches.
jds1969
UKFM Member

Return to Treatments & Medication