Accupuncture

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Accupuncture

Postby mlou » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:40 pm

Hi all, hope your all as well as can be.

Has anyone ever had Accupuncture? I get a lot of pain in my arms and ecspecially in my legs thought I would give it a bash and see if it helped. I've had 3 sessions now but to be honest I think I feel worse. I don't know what to do :?: I don't want to keep throwing my money away if it isn't going to work. Do I give it more time and have more sessions or save my money. Had a really bad few days since my session I'm in pain and shattered most days but not to this extreme. :pull-hair:
mlou
UKFM Member

Re: Accupuncture

Postby multy1969 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:09 pm

Hi hun, i had quite a few sessions but unfortunately didnt work for me either,if u dont feel they are gunna work now i wouldnt waste your money x
multy1969
UKFM Member

Postby Itsonlyme! » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:10 pm

Sounds to me you are reacting quite badly..I've had similar after seeing Chiro,bad flare ups etc
I tried accupuncture once and found it so painful when she put first one in I passed out so kinda put me off! It was a Chinese lady and I've been told since that their technique is very different so mite give another go, not sure.
I'd take a break from it if I were you until things settle, have you mentioned it to the acupuncturist ? You can always try again in a while and see what happens, if it flares again then maybe just too intense for you x x
Itsonlyme!
UKFM Member

Postby Jo43 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:21 pm

Hi,

This is probably going to sound quite negative, sorry, just trying to show you my experience. :( :( :(

I tried acupuncture as part of a 12 mth period with a physio. Had 3 acupuncture sessions and the therapist told me that if I didn't have any benefit after 3 sessions then it wouldn't work but never tried Chinese acupuncture which I have heard really good reports about. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I've literally thrown thousands at my illness. Tried the 12 mths of physio, 6 mth chiropractor, 6 mth cranial osteopath, pilates for FM, Physio, Chiropractor, One on Pilates with different people to the first ones to see if someone different would made a difference, podiatrist, aquaerobics for disabilities, mattress toppers, a water bed, facet joint injections, steroid, anaesthetic and epidural injections, MRI scans, X rays, operations, 2nd opinions (all paid for privately, with no insurance) but nothing has made any difference. :( :( :(

My GP has said to stop chasing a cure and wasting money, if something doesn't work fast, then don't carry it on in a vain hope that it will work and to be honest, when he said it I thought it was a bit negative, but actually it was very realistic. I've been fighting my illness for 6 yrs and got no where. Actually feel worse than when I started. Think the best thing to do is accept your illness and work on trying relaxation and rest as much as you can. Don't get me wrong I am on plenty of medication but hoped to find something to replace the meds, but nothing has worked. :evil: :evil: :evil:

That isn't to say that nothing will for you and every person is different and has different symptoms and has to find their own way of coping with this illness but my advice would be not to get carried away with it like I did, lol. :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

I asked my GP to refer me back to our local Pain Clinic in Sheffield as I'd not been for 2 yrs and I saw a different dr and he was amazing. It was he who actually diagnosed me 2 months ago, even having been going to GP's and consultants for 6 yrs and mentioning FM to them, no would give me a diagnosis, but he did. He also said I have Arthritis in my spine which was very clear on my X-rays, but nobody had told me this before either. I went on their one day Chronic Pain Awareness day and found it really helpful and have enrolled to go on their 9 week course starting beginning October and looking forward to that. It is based on understanding your illness and working within your boundaries. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Think it is a really hard lesson to learn, but the sooner one accepts our illness (I say this like it's so simple and I have - I haven't and still struggle to get my head around it), the sooner one can more on and stop dwelling, grieving for the lifestyle they lost and start looking towards the future. :-? :-? :-?

Well that's what I hope I'll be able to do one day. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Good luck. x
Jo43
UKFM Member

Postby padders » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:24 pm

Hi i have had 6 sessions took a while and i did fel worse todtart but now i doget some relef. If you live in uk i think you can get it free on the NHS like i do. Check with your DR. If not make sure you go to a registered accupuncturist as they can do you some harm!! Mine is brill i have the needles from head to toe in certain places some painful as she puts in but that is good as she getting right area and starting to break the blockage down. I live it and would reccomend it to anyone but like anything it works for some and not others. But as i said make sure you go to a registered accupuncturist in the NHS as otherwise you dont know who you getting or what!!
padders
UKFM Member

Postby fibrobilly » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:46 pm

Tried it and was told if there was no improvement after 6 sessions then there was no point haveing any more. :nono:
take care
fibrobilly
UKFM Member

Postby RainDog » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:49 am

I am having six sessions of accupuncture on the NHS. Going for my fifth this morning.
I have not found it be of any help yet but thought I'd carry on and have the six sessions in case it takes the six treatments to work. Although the nurse said if no benefit is felt after two it probably isn't going to help but carrying on anyway.

After the first session I felt terrible, generally lousy and 'heavy' and so sleepy. I haven't experienced this since the first time but it still makes my feel sleepy for a couple of hours after.
The needles have got more painful with each session. Some feel like a needle going in (!) but some, especially the ones in my hands, are very very painful - it's a really deep pain and the nurse says this is good and that it is hitting the right spot!

If you can get accupuncture on the NHS then give it a go - it might work for you. But from what I've read it doesn't have much success with fibro.

I was really hopeful when I was told I'd be getting accupuncture and went into it with an open mind thinking this might actually work and I'm quite disappointed it's not helping.
RainDog
UKFM Newbie

Postby Cariad84 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:22 pm

Hi all - I have had 3 sessions of Chinese(cannot spell!!) Accupuncture so far and I have felt little improvement(less tightness in my neck and shoulders, wanting to drink more), not as much as I was hoping for £40 a session I was really hoping it would make some change. I nearly passed out at the first session where she worked on my back and neck I felt so ill, some of the needles I don't feel but others were awful, 2nd was on my feet and I didn't like that at all, 3rd wasn't much better either I spoke to the her and she said the reason I find it so bad is due to my ME/CFS. To be honest I am thinking about stopping and using the money to try a biotens bracelet instead... At least then I wont be paying for the pain. Sorry I haven't got a positive story to tell.
Cariad84
Cariad84
UKFM Member

Postby mlou » Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:05 pm

Thanks for all your kind comments. 90% of me is thinking to stop having the treatment, day to day is bad enough. After every visit it totally wipes me out for days :sleep: Yesterday was such a bad day with total agony in my legs, today is the 1st day I've felt slightly better since last Friday. Guess you have to try these things, my next step is waiting to be refered to the Pain Clinic, not really sure what it entails but I can only live in hope. x
mlou
UKFM Member

Postby Cariad84 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:53 am

Hi Mlou, its annoying when you are hoping something will work isn't it I still feel like I am giving up to soon on it but I cannot afford to be feeling so rough afterwards, I can't keep on staying in bed all the time! I am waiting for referal to Pain management but I have just had the shock of my life when I looked on the local health board website and realised that it is residential for 3 weeks sundsy night to friday night.... My poor kiddies! And its in a spooky old mental instatution! eek! :yikes:
Cariad84
UKFM Member

Return to Treatments & Medication