Pain relief patches.

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Re: Pain relief patches.

Postby millymoodoo » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:43 pm

Hi

The advice on here is excellent but as already said everyone is very different so the only person who can decide what is right for you is yourself!!! I was on Fentanyl patches 100mcg but as i get very hot and perspire a lot i was getting too much of the drug for the day 1 and 2 and on the 3rd day i was in agony plus they were leaving very itchy marks on my body where the patches had been so after a long consultation with the pain clinic it was decided i change to Oxcontin slow release tablets that was 6 months ago and like another post said was a wonder drug for me. I take 80mg every 12 hours and i am prescribed The fast acting Oxynorm 10mg for breakthrough pain and my pain is now at a managable level. So it is all trial and error but you will know when you are on the right drug and then it is just getting the dose right for your needs. I dont think any amount of any drugs will get rid of all the pain completely unless you are zombified but just to get the pain to an acceptable level is like heaven!!!

Good luck and i am sure you will find the right drug for you and if you are not under the pain clinic it could be worth you asking for a referral as in my case they have been excellent but again that depends where in the uk you are as some members have had not very good experiences.

Milly xxx :-D
Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them get up!!! When life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!! Everyday is a gift which is why we call it the present
millymoodoo
UKFM Member

Pain relief patches.

Postby toplessbug » Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:10 pm

Hi I couldn't use them. I am always hot so they didn't stick and I felt no benefit from them because of it.
xxx

Sent from my iPhone using the force :-)
toplessbug
UKFM Member

Postby Iceskatemum » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:10 pm

Hi Toplessbug , this is the generic name for Butrans patches . they come in 5micro gram /10 micro gram and 20 micro gram and as you say are worn for 7 days. ( all the instructions on how to apply are in the box.)
They are a different form of opiod than fentynal etc and I have been on them for about 2 years.
I take 10 micro gram per hour and they are great at controlling that long term pain from my bad back and block out some fo the pain from the FM but still need to take Lyrica for the neuralgic pain and co codamol /tramadol for breakthrough when thigs go pear shaped!.

Surprised that you are straight on to the 20mg as the pain clinic had me go up from 5 -10 very gradually. Consultant also said he had never had to use 20 mg on FM as it was a different sort of pain than usual and 10 mg seem to work for most.

Hope things going well and you are getting some relief
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby skippydoo » Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:23 am

Hello have any of you guys used Oxycodone (Oxynorm). I've been on Oxycodone for 5 months for Fibromyalgia (2yrs), also got UARS recently diagnosed and got CPAP. It seems really good. I only had it PRN doctor gave me 5mgx28 per month. Having a major flare up doctor now tells me that I must be addicted now, wont give me a higher dose, thats way below the normal of 4X5mg daily. Also on 40mg Citalopram for pain/depression.
skippydoo
UKFM Newbie

Postby marianne p » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:08 pm

i tired tramdols 2 years ago and they know me about a bit and gave me fits!! now waiting to go to pain clinic in jan,marianne xx :yikes: :nono: :?: :scream-1:
marianne p
UKFM Member

Previous

Return to Treatments & Medication