[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Fibromyalgia & Facet Joint Injections

Fibromyalgia & Facet Joint Injections

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Fibromyalgia & Facet Joint Injections

Postby Alice in Wonderland » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:33 pm

Hi, this is my first post here so I hope I make sense.

I have fibro - quite disabling at times and I also have a knackered spine. I am due to receive my first facet joint injections on Thursday and wondered if there is anyone here had them and would like to know your experiences etc. I received a steroid epidural about a year ago and it made things worse in terms of pain. It took a couple of months for things to settle down to the "normal pain". I spoke with my pain clinic about it and they said I shouldn't have any procedures like that because of my fibro. She explained that when people with fibro have procedures like that done their bodies over react and it just isn't good for our bodies. I kind of understand what she meant. My surgeon thinks that this isn't the case and that I should be fine. I did tell him about the epidural experience.

I hope this post finds everyone fine (or as fine as can be).

Alice in Wonerland x
Alice in Wonderland
UKFM Newbie

Re: Fibromyalgia & Facet Joint Injections

Postby annieh » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:35 am

Hi
Ive been having facet joint injections before my fibro was diagnosed I have been really lucky and they have always given me relief and it has lasted an incredible time, I hope you receive the same luck I have Take care
annieh
UKFM Newbie

Postby Westiegal » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:23 am

Hi,
I had facet joint injections about 8 weeks ago i have facet joint disease in my lower spine.
I had the same problem as you in Febuary this yr with steroid epidural and i had to give up work and had to have my mum move in with me and my husband so she could help me with my baby boy! i couldnt lift him or carry him. took about 3 months to wear off

since having the facet joint injections i have notice im in less back pain which is fantastic!!!! ive always been really lucky with these injections (this was my 5th time) the reason i ended up with the epidural in feb was because the consultant that had stepped in for mine refused to do them said i was too young! (my consultant said it was rubbish)

If it doesnt help with your fribro pain it will help with your back pain so one less pain!

You need to rest for at least 3 days give your back time to settle.
hope everything goes ok
xxxxxx
Westiegal
UKFM Newbie

Postby deanna dimech » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:42 am

I have the same problems two back op's the last one to fuse it, I found out i had fibro 3 years ago. I have had the facet injections many times at first they were great for the pain , So give it a go, I had them done with a local but most are put to sleep. But they have stopped doing them now as the more i had the less they worked. Good luck
deanna dimech
UKFM Member

Postby Alice in Wonderland » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:11 pm

Thank you all for taking the time to tell me your experiences.

I have had back pain for 20 years - I am now 37. I had a discectomy op 2 years ago which has left me with a permanently numb lower leg and foot. I was diagnosed with Fibro by a rheumatologist 3 years ago. My main symptoms of fibro are joint pain/stiffness, all over body pain, tiredness, real bad memory, and swollen hands.

My back pain didn't get better after the op and therefore the epidural was the next thing to try. I have varying degrees of disc degeneration throughout my spine along with other things (that a surgeon can't fix). The main problem is a disc that is completely degenerated at L4/L5. My original surgeon doesn't do disc replacement in the lumbar spine because he said it is high risk. Therefore I have waited to see this particular surgeon to ask him if he would do the op. I take quite a lot of mophine based drugs which help but I am not getting very good pain relief anymore and my gp doesn't want to keep increasing. I also don't want to keep increasing the drugs for a number of reasons, one being not being able to drive.

This new surgeon thinks that my facet joints are arthritic (aparently this is usually the case where there are degenerated discs). He wants to see if the injections work - if they do then he doesn't need to do a disc replacement, if they don't work then he will do the disc replacement op. I am at the stage where I have nothing to loose. The pain is soo bad, especially at night. I am so tired I could fall asleep at any time through the day and I am usually desperate for my bed at night but I dread going because of the pain.

I have been told that they won't put me to sleep for these injections. I am concerned about this because when I got the epidural I asked to be put to sleep and they said that was ok. But this time they said they won't put me to sleep but just freeze the area first. I am a wimp and am worried I will chicken out at the last minute.

Alice in Wonderland
Alice in Wonderland
UKFM Newbie

Postby FluppyPuffy » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:28 pm

If you have a look thru the forum, you'll come across a few topics about facet joint injections. Like all things FM~related, for some they can make a huge difference, whilst for others they do very little :facepalm: :facepalm: Try to approach them with an open mind and see what benefits you get from them. Hopefully you will be one of those who have good results with them :fingerscrossed: :goodluck2: :goodluck2:

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby denys » Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:30 pm

Hi :welcome: to the forum :wave: I hope you get some relief from the injections and dont need the op :fingerscrossed:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby Jo43 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:59 pm

Hi, I had epidural injections and facet joint injections between 3 and 5 yrs ago when I just had back problems without the FM diagnosis. I was diagnosed about 6 weeks ago 'ish' (time doesn't hold much value for me anymore, lol!) with FM and arthritis in hips and spine. They all worked for my back for a short time, about 4 months first time but the timeframe got shorter and shorter and they stopped giving them to me because when the timeframe got to 6 weeks as they were concerned that it causes scarring every time they go in (minute, but any scarring of the spine is a cause for concern) and as I wasn't getting lasting periods of benefit it was doing more harm than good. Since then my back has got a lot worse but I would recommend them to anyone. I had four ordinary injections into the muscles at the base of my back a couple of months ago, nearly shot through the roof on the last one and was really rough for weeks after and will never have those again, they just sent my muscles into spasm - they were rock hard. You live and learn. Think anything is worth a go first time round. Good luck. xxx
Jo43
UKFM Member

Postby Alice in Wonderland » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:47 pm

Thank you all for your help and support. I will let you know how it goes tomorrow.
Alice in Wonderland
UKFM Newbie

Postby Alice in Wonderland » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:58 pm

I manged to go through with the injections - just! I am such a woose. The anesthetic was the worst part of the procedure. I was screaming (how embarrasing). After the screaming and the anesthetic got to work, I never felt the actual injections. However once he did the last injection I started to feel funny (lying down on the table). I nearly fainted and they had to tilt the table downwards to get blood to my head. I was ok after a few minutes but felt really dizzy for about a hour after.

Have to say at the moment my back and legs are dimenting me with pain - including nerve pain in my legs. I am aware tomorrow will be sore but here's hoping it was worth it. The xray man said that if I don't feel any benefit within 10 days then it hasnt worked. He also said that if it does work and I need it done again I should get my consultant to do it under sedation, because of how stressed I got. I am such a wimp.

Alice in Wonderland x
Alice in Wonderland
UKFM Newbie

Return to Treatments & Medication