[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Just been started on Lustral/Sertraline

Just been started on Lustral/Sertraline

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Postby csangel » Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:23 pm

Hi guys,
I've been told by the gp that I most likely have fibro, and after doing a bit of reasearch and finding this forum it explains so many of my symptoms! Am a bit stuck as to whether to be happy I finally know what is wrong, or sad it might be like this for the rest of my life...(I'm 23). :-?

Anyways, I've been taking Naproxen for a few months now - not constantly, just when needed- although the last 3 weeks I've been taking them every day... I'm currently in the middle of a flare-up as work has been pushing me to the limit for the last few weeks and it's finally all come tumbling down around me. So I went back to the docs, she was really understanding and helpful and basically thinks it's fibro, and asked if I wanted to try some antidepressants as these have been shown to help? I'm at my wits end with the tiredness and pain at the mo so leaped at the chance to be given a new route.

I've only been taking them for a couple of days, and I know they'll take a while to kick in, but my question was do side effects start straight away? I've been getting headaches on and off every few hours for the last 2 days, and feel sick and fuzzy in my head. Thinking this might be because of the pain as well though, but was wondering how long these effects might last? I've never liked depending on meds, but if they help I'd like to stick with them, as I still work full time at the moment (although only went into work on Monday this week!). I feel so rubbish I've hardly been out of bed, and am struggling to look after myself - my husband is great, but runs a removals company aimed at students, so September is his busiest month of the year and he's hardly been home...

I would appreciate your advice if anyone has been in a similar situation with their meds - I don't know what to do!
Health is not valued until sickness comes. ~Thomas Fuller
csangel
UKFM Member

Postby MonkeyFeatures » Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:22 pm

I've been on & off sertraline for years and usually find that the side effects ease off after about a week, hope they help you & the side effects wear off soon x

(Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk)

Mummy of 2 beautiful children My hubby is my rock!
MonkeyFeatures
UKFM Member

Postby MonkeyFeatures » Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:24 pm

p.s. I'm 28 and started with fibro at 23 so I completely understand how you feel, if you want a chat feel free to inbox me :)

(Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk)

Mummy of 2 beautiful children My hubby is my rock!
MonkeyFeatures
UKFM Member

Re: Just been started on Lustral/Sertraline

Postby FluppyPuffy » Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:11 pm

I'm on Sertraline, started them a couple of months ago and for the first time in a good few months feel like things might be heading towards a bit more of a balanced state :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: I felt pretty lousy for the first week when I started them ~ fuzzy headed and a bit more :puke: :puke: :puke: than usual. Can't say if it made my headaches any worse tho as my head always feels like it's on the verge of a migraine.

They should take about a month to fully get into your system, and hopefully the side effects should start to ease off in a few days :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed:

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby csangel » Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:12 pm

Thanks for your replies. It's useful to know I'm not alone :-)

In a bit of a conundrum with it now really. I've been having a bit of a think today about whether it's right for me or not... I'm not in a huge amount of pain all the time (just some of the time, when it's really bad, although it's been really bad for the past 3 weeks now and showing no signs of improving), and i feel a bit nervous about taking the meds all the time when my pain is manageble without much in the way of painkillers.

I feel really awful at the moment, and I had similar side effects with codine, which I can't take now.

So I can't decide if it's worth it to try for a bit and see what happens, or whether I could try and get some stronger painkillers for when it's really bad? Or are antids good for calming everything down and preventing flare ups as much? I'm really new to all this and it's a bit overwhelming really. Plus I feel lousy and can't think straight! :crazy:

Sorry if my questions seem a bit silly... I don't know how best to tackle all this! :oops:
csangel
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:29 pm

A lot of the meds used in managing FM need to build up in the system over time and need to be taken regularly to keep things at a steady level. The anti~ds come under this umbrella and generally need to be taken taken for a month or so to see if they are starting to help with things. And they could help with settling how you're feeling. I don't think there is anything that can help prevent a flare~up, apart from being placed in a box and sitting completely still for the rest of time :shock: :shock: :shock:

It's not unusual to have a number of meds in the cocktail, so as well as anti~ds there could be painkillers and/or other types that have been found to help with aspects of FM.

I think most of us had similar thoughts to what you're having at the moment when it comes to meds, I know the thought of having all the extra chemicals whizzing round my body all the time made me very :yikes: :shock: :yikes: :shock: :yikes: :shock:

If you are so unsure what to do, then maybe discussing your worries with your GP and finding out about potential alternatives could be something to consider. It may be suggested that you carry on with what you're currently taking for a bit longer to see if they can help.

FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Gig » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:17 am

Hiya, I'm like you, no diagnosis as yet but doc seems to think its all fibro related!
I'm on sertraline for 6 weeks now, it's taken away all my panic attacks and anxiety, it's working for me so good luck.
I'm also on tramadol, extra strength ibuprofen and amatryptaline (excuse my spelling lol).
I'm still in pain but better than I was. My worry is all the twitching of muscles, my leg twitched that much when I was lying down it actually went a good height above me.
I am totally lost with this fibro, never knew it existed till a good few months ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gillian x
Gig
UKFM Member

Postby csangel » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:52 am

Thank you for your advice.

I think I was having a bit of a moment last night... I was feeling rough from the meds, my mum keeps trying to tell me I just need to keep going, and that if I sit and do nothing I won't want to get going again and that's why I feel so rubbish... and my hubby said 'you are a bit depressed though, aren't you.' last night too.... feel a bit got at... :cry:

So with your experience, I'll carry on for a bit and see what happens... now I know things should settle down soon it helps, I didn't want to be stuck with this heady feeling for a month! :crazy: Need to ring the doc on Tuesday anyway to get some more painkillers sorted (my nice fibro knowledgable doctor only works Tuesdays... typical!) so will mention my worries to her then, and see what she says.

Thank you so much for your help. I'm bad at making decisions at the best of times, and not having a clue about this makes it doubly difficult :-?
csangel
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:17 am

FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby csangel » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:30 pm

Thank you Fluppy,
I think I’m starting to get on top of things a bit better :-) The side effects have settled and I’m back at work, just trying to take it easy.

I’m trying to just do a bit of tidying, or washing up or something when I get in so then I can relax and have the rest of the evening to myself.

Not been enjoying evening/night time with this recent flare though… :nono: Struggle to get up in a morning, manage to get going and keep going at work, then when I get in and sit down the aches set in and I’m exhausted! But can’t ever find a comfy position in bed, and don’t have the energy to shuffle everything about till I get sorted! :roll:

Got to ring the doctor next week and let her know how I’m doing. Hoping she might be able to offer some more painkillers as the naproxen really only takes a tiny bit of an edge off the pain, and doesn’t seem to do anything for the heavy aching.

Looking forward to the weekend now so I can catch up on some sleep! :sleep: :sleep: :sleep:
csangel
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:05 pm

Sounds like you're starting to find your way forwards, which is brilliant :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: If you can keep on with your plan of doing a little of something when you come in, it will probably help you in all sorts of ways, esp helping with the relaxing when you get back in from work :clap: :clap: :clap:

That feeling of not being able to get comfortable is awful, I've had far too many nights like you're experiencing myself, it makes things take so much longer and takes so much more out of us, and I'm guessing that you're like me and don't have anything to spare in the energy levels :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Hopefully your doctor will be able to add something extra to your cocktail when you speak to her :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: There are different types to try, hopefully with a little trial and error you'll find something that helps make that difference you want and need.

FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Return to Treatments & Medication