Hypnotherapy Help

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Hypnotherapy Help

Postby glw » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:32 am

Hello everyone. This is my first post so I am looking forward to meeting some of you on here.

I am a professional Counsellor and Hypnotherapist and I have become interested in Fibromyalgia and the treatments available for it.

I have noticed that CBT is quite often used but I was wondering if any of you have had experience of Hypnotherapy. In terms of pain management it should theoretically be a very effective treatment, possibly in conjunction with other interventions. I am trying to ensure that my work with Fibromyalgia patients is as effective as possible so I would be grateful for any information regarding your experience of what has worked/not worked for you.

Hypnotherapy must be highly personalised to work effectively but it would be interesting for me to understand whether focus on the pain management is most effective or whether there are "knock on" benefits of concentrating more on aspects such as good sleep and relaxation. Maybe its best to create a balance between all, and maybe its different for each of you.

Anyway, I would be very grateful for any insight you can provide to the condition and your Hypnotherapy experiences. I, in turn, would of course me happy to answer any questions you may have about Hypnosis as a therapy.

Graham
glw
UKFM Newbie

Re: Hypnotherapy Help

Postby miller » Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:05 am

your post has stuck out to me and i hope we might be able to help each other . i have two ladies coming to visit me after been referred from my docs , one is a nurse trained in substance abuse !!!!!!!!! and the other is a hypnotherapist ,they are both lovely young women and seem eager to help, both have said since seeing me they have tried to do research into fibro and would like to understand more ,at the moment i am happy to be there guinea pig but i cannot see how this will prograss , as an hypnotist what would you be concentrating on hypnotising me for and how do you think you could help with my pain management. i am due to go for hydrotherpy at a local swimming baths on tuesday pain allowing i will keep you posted if interested.
miller
UKFM Member

Re: Hypnotherapy Help

Postby glw » Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:35 am

Thanks for your responses.

Miller: Its difficult for me to comment specifically on your case because I dont have much detail, but in general terms I would be working to try and contextualise your pain. Hypnotherapy cant remove pain but it can help your subconscious mind to come to regard it as less intrusive than it is today. There was some interesting research done into the effect of physical pain on the body when it is held big and strong (chest expanded and arm muscles flexed) versus when it is held small and vulnerable (curled into a ball with no muscle flex). The pain experienced by the big and strong body was less despite the fact that the pain itself (a tight tourniquet around an arm) was identical. So there is clear evidence that being able to convince the subconscious mind that it is more resistant to pain will have a bearing on how you experience the pain even though it might not have changed in intensity. I hope that makes sense.

The second area I would work on would be some future pacing and visualisation. This is a technique whereby you concentrate on seeing yourself in the future enjoying a life with less pain and deriving greater enjoyment from the things you do. Once again, this works on the subconscious mind illustrating to it that the future is something to be looked forward to and cherished rather than dreaded.

Your subconscious will follow instruction. Its doesn't know the difference between truth and imagination.

Hope that helps and I would be pleased to keep in touch.

Lisa: It sounds as if your experience of hypnotherapy has been very positive. You are quite right that tension and anxiety are causing physical pain too. From what you say it sounds as if your therapy helped you to deal with a lot of "clutter" leaving you able to focus on the future. That's good too.

It sounds as if you still suffer from anxiety and it might be worth you having another go at fixing that with either Hypnotherapy or Counselling. I any event I certainly wish you all the best.

Thanks again
glw
UKFM Newbie

Return to Treatments & Medication