Methadone for Fibro!!

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Methadone for Fibro!!

Postby zararara » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:50 pm

Hi all. I have started seeing a social worker, as I have mental health problems, I have gone from being bi polar to schizophrenia now back to personality disorder and adult ADHD. ( yep what a jump from schizophrenia, was mis diagnosed as she confused it with my post partum psychosis) anyway, She asked me to write down all my physical problems to go with her paper works and assesments. i thought to myself, what is the best way to describe fibro to someone who doesnt know anything about it. so I looked on here ( thanks for that as i find it hard describing things) and couldnt believe what google braught up " methadone for fibromyalgia"
I think it was an american site. Have any of you heard of or are using methadone to help your pain? I can only associate it with drug addicts. But, i guess medicine has come along way, and technically opioids are a family of herion arn't they?
i am still on just codiene, not trying the tramadol after what my dad said it did to him ( he has osteo) and they wont put me on any anti epileptics or mood stableisers as when i was diagnosed with schizophrenia they put me on anti psychotics which made me basically like a zombie and worsened my moods, so now they wont put me on anything, wont even let me go back on amitryptiline.
Sorry waffled on then again..
Zara
zararara
UKFM Member

Re: Methadone for Fibro!!

Postby diane1 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:06 pm

Zarazara :welcome:

I have heard of this before and it is an american thing and not licenced in the uk. I think the problem of using methadone is that it is addictive and therefore not great.

Have you tried Pregabalin(Lyrica) its a new drug for fibro that seems to have alot of success. I take it and found it has the effect of numbing the pain to a certain degree. Unfortuneately I did have a bad reaction when I was put on the higher dose but the lower dose is ok.
There are also other pain relief drugs besides tramadol and codiene. I cant take tramadol but I do have dihydrocodiene which is prescrition only and can become addictive so you do have to be careful.

You'll find lots of help and advice on here. I print it out and then show it to my drs when I need to it also helps them as not all gps understand fibro .

Good luck with it all. :goodluck2:
Does an elephant with fibro fog ever forget ?
diane1
UKFM Member

Postby zararara » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:22 pm

Hi Diane

I have recently been back to my gp and asked him about pregabalin and i think it was gabapentin? as i told him i had read on this site what alot of people use for their fibro, and basically why is it i have not been offered anything else ( he just wanted me to take paracetamol) but luckily i have a box of 30/500 co codamols left from my last flare up which the nice doctor gave me ( whos not there anymore >.<) and he wont try me with anything else and said paracetamol are very affective!!! I am gonna change my doctors surgery as im not impressed at all with the lack of care i am getting with the fibro. i was diagnosed 12 months ago by a loverly doctor with fibro and m.e. gutted she aint there anymore. surely fibro meds wont affect my mental health which they keep fobbing me off with.
zararara
UKFM Member

Postby sknowles456 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:26 pm

I would definitely change your doctors or ask your current one to refer you to a pain clinic and let them decide whether paracetamol are strong enough or not! - you shouldn't have to suffer in pain just because you have mental health issues. Suzy x
sknowles456
UKFM Member

Return to Treatments & Medication