[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Weight loss drug for people type 2 diabetes

Weight loss drug for people type 2 diabetes

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Weight loss drug for people type 2 diabetes

Postby millymoodoo » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:54 am

Hi all

My sister who is type 2 diabetic was prescribed a new drug to stabilise her weight and help the diabetes. This drug is a long acting one so is a weekly injection which she has to give herself into her stomach just under the skin!!! The drug is called Bydureon and it works by helping your body metabolise carbohydrates which also helps to stabilise the blood sugar, she still has to take her diabetic medication aswell. She started taking this medication as she was struggling with her weight and despite eating healthy she has just really not been able to shift the weight but since starting this injection she has lost 7lb over 3 weeks without trying so it obviously does work for her. I am also type 2 diabetic on tablets and am due my 6 monthly check in 2 weeks so i am going to request this new drug as my weight is out of control and no matter what i do i cant shift it!!! It doesnt help with all the drugs i am on i have recently had a bad flare with the crohn's disease so my steroids have been quite high which packs the weight on, i have been on a low dose of steroids now for 12 years without a break and when i get a flare they have to be increased and i never get below 10mg. So between the steroids, gabapentin and the weight gaining drugs i have to take i am in catch 22 and the excess weight is hindering the execise and so on so its a vicious circle. I dont like needles but just once a week wouldnt be too bad i just hope they will let me have this drug.

I hope this news may help others in a similar situation, even if you dont have diabetes it could be worth asking because i dont think it is just for diabetics. This drug has been licensed so i guess it will be up to your gp as to whether they will prescribe this as it is a costly drug but i am sure it would cost the nhs more money having to treat all the things that come with obesity so i am going to give it my best shot!!! I have printed lots of information to take with me to my next diabetic review though i am sure they will know about it. It could help us to get rid of our excess weight in a controlled way. :penguin: :penguin: :penguin:

Milly xxx :-D
Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them get up!!! When life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!! Everyday is a gift which is why we call it the present
millymoodoo
UKFM Member

Re: Weight loss drug for people type 2 diabetes

Postby shazq » Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:58 pm

:goodluck1: Milly, keep us updated.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby Iceskatemum » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:56 pm

Hi Millymoodoo, just been on a few web sites and from the info I've seen (admit its only a few websites) the drug is only licensed for Type 2 diabetes and is primarily not for weight loss but for the stabilisation of glucose levels. It is given to those who are presently being treated with exenatide, a twice-daily injection. It means these people will now be able to give the injection only once a week instead of twice a day.

As for cost NICE (the people who regulate the drugs that will be available on the NHS) have indicated it will be £19 per injection. So cost for cost I'm sure it works out cheaper than the drug that is presently being used.

I think it may only be availabile in some areas at the present, so good luck with your GP.

:hugs:
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby denys » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:31 pm

Hi I was on this for a while and have had to come off it as I ended up in hospital which is why I havent been around too much recently, it is licensed for use with type 2 diabetes treated with tablets but is sometimes used off licence for those of us on insulin. No-one knows whether my stomach problems were caused or maybe exacerbated by ByDureon which is also known as exanitide

A friend of mine is on it but is tablet treated and she feels its working really well for her so :fingerscrossed: for your sister :-D
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby millymoodoo » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:41 am

Hi all

I did see that it could cause stomach problems which i will have to be causious with as i have crohn's disease, but saying that my sister has IBS and up to now hasnt had any problems but the risk is always there. Denys sounds like your stomach problems were bad so i will be wary but i am desperate to lose some of this weight as it is really getting me down. How long wereyou on this injection? Any info would be helpful!!!
:-D
Milly xxx
Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them get up!!! When life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!! Everyday is a gift which is why we call it the present
millymoodoo
UKFM Member

Postby Iceskatemum » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:10 pm

Denys sorry to hear you have been :sick:

Hope you are feeling better :flowers: :hugs:
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby denys » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:46 pm

Hi Milly I had been on it for 4 weeks and it was the day before I was due to take the 5th that I took poorly, I have IBS but the pain was on the right side not the left and was intense, as I said no-one can say whether it was the injections that caused it and it may be completely coincidental and I can understand your issues with weight as I am in the same position but I have been told by my diabetic nurse to leave it for about 4-5 weeks before resuming but my doctor isnt so keen so I'm unsure of what I will do next :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

I still have the pain but not nearly as intense as they were :roll: :roll: :roll:

Iceskatemum thankyou :-D :-D :-D :-D
Denys

denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby millymoodoo » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:00 am

Hi Denyys

I am so sorry you havnt been well its bad enough the pain we normally get without it becoming as intense as yours did. Are they sure it is IBS? The only reason i ask is that for years i was treated for IBS even had a hysterectomy which could have been avoided as the only way it helped was by making room for my crohn's disease to swell more than it was, but they told me a hysterectomy was the answer as i had very heavy and painful periods!!! I put up with the excrutiating pain which was on my right. I had severe diarrhoea and sickness for 2 weeks and my gp told me to take imodium every time i went to the toilet i was taking 20 to 30 times a day lol so was going through them like there was no tomorrow which were doing nothing to help. I live on my own and thought i had a stomach bug so told family and friends to stay away so i didnt pass it on. A friend called round who didnt know i was ill and immediately dialled 999, she couldnt believe how ill i was and my whole body had a blue tinge to it. I was taken to hospital under blue lights where they found after tests i had very severe crohns's disease, i was severely dehydrated and was told i wouldnt have seen another night alive my whole body was shutting down and i was in hospital for 3 months over christmas.

I am sure your dr has things under control but it goes to show how things can change or be missed when they think they have a diagnosis!!! My gp treated me for IBS for about 12 years and the gastoenterologist said he is certain i had crohn's at the start of my problems and had my gp referred me for a colonoscopy the crisis and near loss of my life could so easily have been avoided. I have had diagnosed crohns now for 12 years and to date it has never gone into remission and for 8 of those 12 years i was fed through a naso gastric tube and later a PEG (tube straight into my stomach). I am not trying to scare monger but it shows how we can be misdiagnosed.

I really hope you are feeling better and that you can start this drug again!! Did you manage to lose any weight the short time you were on this drug and did you ask for this drug or did your diabetic nurse suggest it?

Take care, gentle hugs :grouphug:
Milly xxx :-D
millymoodoo
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:49 pm

Hi Milly your story sounds horrific, I'm still under investigation so nothing has been ruled in or out yet :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

It was the diabetic nurse who suggested the drug and no I hadn't lost any weight but was told it was too early as it took time to get into the system (bit like everything else :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: )

I'm finding it very difficult to eat at the moment, I'm not hungry and eating sets off the pain so am going to go back to the docs as this is interfering with my diabetes :roll: :roll: :roll:
Denys

denys
UKFM Veteran

Return to Treatments & Medication