PAIN CLINIC

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

PAIN CLINIC

Postby mlou » Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:23 pm

Hi all

I've been referred by my Doctor to the Pain Clinic at Preston Hospital. First appointment on Friday afternoon, How have any of you found this and what does it entail. Has going to a Pain Clinic helped any of you or not helped. feedback appreciated, thanks.
mlou
UKFM Member

Re: PAIN CLINIC

Postby tashnella » Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:44 pm

Hi
I visited my local pain clinic recently. I was given morphine patches and was told i could become dependant on them but could go up to 25mg a week, i got as high as 20 but didnt think they were doing any good, i am now on 10 only per week. I wanted to come off them as i thought they werent doing any good but was told i had to be weened off them. I was given tramadol also which spaced me out. I have had a problem with my left thigh for quite a while, it is numb and very sore when my clothes or anything touch it. The pain clinic doctor decided to inject my hip to ease the pain in my leg. It really did hurt, perhaps im a wimp, but wouldnt wish it on my worst enemy. this worked for about 3 days but i am now back to square one. I think the pain clinics accross the country differ from one to another. I only use the patches now (10)mg and im suffering every day.
tashnella
UKFM Member

Postby tigger2012 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:58 pm

Hi

i was refered to a pain clinic that offers an 8 week fibro course. I went once a week for 8 weeks.They were really helpful offering adice & info about managing fibro as well as exercises and hydro.it really helpsd come to terms with diagmosis just wish i could have had it more long term x
tigger2012
UKFM Member

Postby babajane32 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:28 pm

I went to a pain clininc once a week for 12 weeks (120 miles away though),with an additional day after 6 months and telephone med doc for a bout 12 month to follow up. They had a physio, pshch and doc for pills etc. They covered relaxation,pacing ,how pain works etc etc...helped my understanding of pain and what to expect long term, but were a few bits way off beat....definately would have been worth going if i hadn't a 240 mile round trip each week which left me messed up, but on the flip side, I learned something, help a bit with my meds and i met a wonderfull new freind their who's proved to be one of my best friends....so well worth it and nice to go somewhere that everyone kind of gets it where the pain and fibro's concerned. If you're offered it i'd take it, you could get quite a bit out of it, just don't expect miracles.
babajane32
UKFM Member

Return to Treatments & Medication