Amitriptyline advice please

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Amitriptyline advice please

Postby BellaH » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:12 pm

Hi everyone, hope your all ok today. I've only posted on here once before but have a feeling I will be doing more in the future. Ive only been diagnosed with fibromyalgia for approx 5 months and I've been doing a lot of research online about this awful illness. My doctor prescribed me amitriptyline when I was first diagnosed and I started off on 10mg then upto 25mg then more recently 35mg and I've currently been taking 50mg for past two days. When I first started on this medication the 1g didn't help at all but the 35mg did and then my doctor increased it further. The one worrying problem I have is as soon as I have taken it my heart feels fluttery and when I go to bed it feels like my heart is going to stop and my heart feels weak and has sometimes woken me up with a jolt. Has anyone else experienced this? I went to the dr today but it wasn't my usual gp that I saw and she said to just check my pulse the next time it happens and I would notice a skipped beat! Not really the answer I wanted so I asked her if I could go onto a different medication and she wrote me one out. I'm not totally happy with switching medication without seeing my usual gp so I'm going to make an appointment for tomorrow. Does anyone take a medication other than a muscle relaxant? Thanks everyone Bella x
BellaH
UKFM Member

Re: Amitriptyline advice please

Postby denys » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:29 pm

Have a look through the forum Bella and you will find lots of threads about Amytriptyline people have all different types of reactions with it, have you read the leaflet that comes with your meds to find out if fluttery heart is one of the side effects :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby BellaH » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:34 pm

Yeah I've read it and it does mention palpitations it's just worrying that my gp just said to check my pulse when my chest feels fluttery. I would like to come off muscle relaxants altogether and just find a pain killer that I could take long term maybe
BellaH
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:40 pm

A lot of our meds are antidepressants, anti convulsants, muscle relaxants and ordinary pain relievers. Its just the dosage that makes them act like a pain reliever so talk to your own GP and have another review :-D :-D :-D
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby babajane32 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:50 pm

I get flutters etc, they've checked everything ok with heart etc, just a side effect...far less bad than many drugs side effects so i've stuck with it.
babajane32
UKFM Member

Postby Fizzyb » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:41 pm

Hello,
I would'nt worry too much. I have experienced this. Waking up with a jolt is normal for anyone not on meds so, I would'nt worry too much.

I'm on Amitriptyline and was on 75mg. I have been on it years and my dose at some point is going upto 150mg I was told but what with other meds you have to go up gradually like when you come off them you have to come off gradually and not just stop.

It does have a a fair few side effects but it does'nt mean its going to effect you. I'm on alot of others and to be fair you just get used to them all. It may make you feel abit :crazy: but think of the alternative.

Anyway, hope this helps.

Take care. :-D
Fizzyb
UKFM Member

Postby Gaia » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:05 pm

I used to take 65 mg of Amitrip and once I was over 20mg I got fluttering heart etc so eventually I came off it altogether. Then I spent months not being able to sleep and it had a knock-on effect during the day, so I went back to the surgery and and my own GP was off sick so I saw another one and he prescribed me with Noritrypteline. This basically gives the same effects as far as sleep goes, but does not give palpitations and does not hang over me the following day like the Amitryp did.
Gaia
UKFM Member

Postby tabithakat64 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:29 pm

I'm lucky in that amitriptyline suits me and I have very few side affects despite taking 75mg a day. As others have said there are lots of alternatives out there that may suit you better.
tabithakat64
UKFM Member

Postby jackie 35 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:08 pm

im going through the same thing has you ive had to have 2 ecg done and have been put on beta blockers
jackie 35
UKFM Member

Postby painprincess1 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:21 pm

omg yes when i was on amitripyline i slept well but omg was dead all day . now dr wants me back on it but how can u be half asleep with a 5 months old baby. and after coming off it took me weeks to get to sleep so no way im going back on that .
smiles and the world smiles with you. cry and you cry alone.
painprincess1
UKFM Member

Return to Treatments & Medication