Sodium Valproate and Gabapentin

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Sodium Valproate and Gabapentin

Postby sknowles456 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:45 pm

I take sodium valproate and quetiepine for my bi polar. sodium valproate is an anti convulsant and so is gabapentin. i am seeing the rheumatology clinic soon and am looking for pain relief for my fm. i have heard gabapentin is good, does anyone take sodium valporate and gabapentin at the same time, is it possible? i also take cocodamol. any feedback would be welcome. Suzy x
sknowles456
UKFM Member

Re: Sodium Valproate and Gabapentin

Postby SharonL42 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:14 pm

Hi Suzy,
I don't take either medication but work as a Special School nurse in a school.for children with severe learning difficulties. A lot of my pupils have epilepsy & some of them take sodium valporate & gabapentin together. Gabapentin is very good for neurological pain.

Hope this helps

Sharon xx

Keep Smiling :-)
Keep Smiling :)
SharonL42
UKFM Member

Postby Kayam » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:08 pm

I'm in slow release Tramadol and normal Tramadol and my Dr has just also put me on Gabapentin. I'd be interested to know what it's like taking Gabapentin. And if any body is on both Tramadol and Gabapentin I'd like to hear about that :)
Kayam
UKFM Newbie

Postby glenmcgregor » Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:45 pm

I am on Gabapentin and Tramadol among others. Do they work? I think they do but only so far, the pains are still there and I have to top up with cocodamol and Nefopam. I also take Duloxetine and Buspirone.
glenmcgregor
UKFM Member

Postby sknowles456 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:29 am

so you take both tramadol and cocodamol together? how much of each do you take? my gp isnt keen on prescribing both together which is why i was wondering about gabapentin.
sknowles456
UKFM Member

Return to Treatments & Medication