[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Withdrawal from Amitriptyline

Withdrawal from Amitriptyline

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Re: Withdrawal from Amitriptyline

Postby Georgiana » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:12 pm

Hello and thank you so much for the nice welcome! :lol:

Thanks for the information.. yes that makes perfect sense and it does feel like an accumulation of factors.. in answer to your question as to whether i have both FM and CFS - I don't know, as the doctors were rather vague.. they were helpful and empathetic, but vague as to labels of conditions - the first doc I saw specifically said 'CFS' when she prescribed the meds, but then I heard that all the nerve pain indicates FM (but I think that CFS can cause this too, no?) ..is there any sure way for a doc to know which it is, and whether it is both? If so, I will ask to be re-diagnosed, maybe. The symptoms I have, apart from the nerve pain and fatigue - getting very tired very quickly from a simple shopping trip, for example, are: easily-pulled muscles from doing nothing!,pain in joints which comes and miraculously disappears again (thank goodness); limbs like led half the time, and fine at other times; back muscles in spasm so that it's stiff like a 90 year old especially in the mornings; then, sometimes, later that day, nothing wrong with it (well, almost nothing); difficulty in concentrating on anything at all and inability to remember anything. Tere's loads of other stuff but i just wondered if these give any indication as to whether it's CFS or FM? When I first got it, about 4 years ago, I just thought i was stressed and fatigued (i was working abroad as a project manager and my stress levels were through the roof for about 3 years before I quit my role and took a holiday).

Feeling positive though and looking forward to hearing advice and experiences from others :-)

Georgiana
Georgiana
UKFM Newbie

Postby FluppyPuffy » Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:41 pm

Looking at the 2 conditions very, very generally, if the fatigue is the more prominent symptom, then it tends to swing towards the CFS side of things. However, if pain is the more prominent issue, the things tend to swing towards the FM side. A Tender Point Test may be carried out if FM is being considered, which is the closest thing available to a test for FM at the moment. It is when 18 points around the body are checked by pressing on them very gently. If it is FM, then these points can be extremely sensitive and cause a rather extreme reaction to the pain. Guidelines suggest that if a minimum of 11 of the 18 points cause a response, then it is a strong indicator for FM.

However, these differences can become blurred, and there are many, many shared symptoms between the 2 conditions which adds to the difficulties in determining if it is CFS, FM or both. I've found some of it comes down to the doc who is making the dx as well, as sometimes they can say it's FM with aspects of CFS, or CFS with elements of FM which doesn't always help with the answers the patient is looking for :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: And typically, pretty much all of the other symptoms you've mentioned can be related to both conditions :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

FM appeared first for me, with the pain being more dominant than the fatigue. Over time tho, the fatigue grew until it was as prominent, and at times even more so than the fatigue. After a battery of tests showed I had developed Type 2 Diabetes, it was initially thought that this was the cause of the increased fatigue. As I worked on controlling the diabetes, the fatigue continued to increase, which if it was being caused by the diabetes, then as the diabetes became more controlled, the fatigue should start to settle back down. As it got worse I went back to my GP who ran another lot of tests, all of which can back pretty normal. This then led to the CFS dx.

Over time I've found that I have slight differences between the 2 conditions. When CFS flares, as well as the pain, there is even more achiness and heaviness across my body, but mainly in my arms and legs. I also feel more like I'm coming down with flu~like symptoms, and I often have a cold clamminess come over me. When FM is flaring, as well as pain levels climbing, I tend to be much stiffer and more prone to muscle twitches and spasms and pulls. I often end up with a migraine as things are intensifying, and as for IBS, well..... :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

If you're wanting more clarification on which it could be you have, or if it is both, the you could start off with some info about both conditions such as from here for and here for If you have a look thru, see which symptoms and problems you have for each one, and for the shared symptoms make a note of which ones are the more intense after you have been doing various activities that you know can aggravate things. Also keeping a diary of symptoms, levels of intensity, situations that triggered things off, how long it lasted etc can all help with creating that overall picture of what days are like for you, as well as showing potential triggers for things, patterns in them happening etc.

There is a lot more info across the boards covering all sorts of subjects, so have a bit of a look round when you get chance :cow-wave: :cow-wave: :cow-wave:

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Georgiana » Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:31 pm

:-D Thank you so much for all the info, that is really useful! I will def have a read and then at least I am armed with some knowledge when (or if) i go back to the doctor :-) ..best of luck to you :-D
Georgiana
UKFM Newbie

Previous

Return to Treatments & Medication