[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Imipramine

Imipramine

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Imipramine

Postby Mog29 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:44 pm

My GP has prescribed me imipramine, she said it would be more likely to help with my sleep, or lack of it, as it could interact with my fluoxitine tablets. I was too emabarrasses to ask exactly what it was meant to do.
Is anyone else on this or tried it, how did u get on with it??
I really hope it does help me sleep better, I'm soooooo tired...
Mog29
UKFM Member

Re: Imipramine

Postby Iceskatemum » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:55 am

So sorry you are feeling so tired ...I'm sure there are lots of us on here that have been down the same road, so totally get where you are coming from

Sorry can't help with how your drugs interact but would suggest that you ring your chemist/pharmacy in the morning (phone number should be on the label on the meds) and ask thier advice.I find them much more approachable about drugs and thier effect as thats thier area of expertise and they often have more time to discuss it with you .

Hope you get a good night sleep :sleep:
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby sknowles456 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:54 am

hi, imipramine belongs to the group of tricyclic antidepresssants, these are the older typer of antidepressants unlike your fluoxetine which is an SSRI, the new type of antidepressants. Imipramine is in the same family as amitryptaline and like amitryptaline is known to help with sleep and pain. hope this helps. Suzy x
sknowles456
UKFM Member

Postby Mog29 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:05 pm

Nice one, thank you!!! That would explain why she put me on it!!! I've notice that I sleep a bit deeper once I am asleep :-D
Mog29
UKFM Member

Postby shazq » Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:20 pm

Hi
Imipramine is not a med i have come across so looked it up, it is an antidepressant which also helps with pain.

Will be interest to see how you get on with it so please keep us updated.

Here is a link on it:-

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j& ... o591DEEVNg
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby HazelB » Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:56 pm

hi Mog29,

my daughter has just been prescribed Imipramine for her fibromyalgia -and I just wondererd how you got on with the drug. its not one we had heard of being used for fibro before (and she was originally recommended to go on it by gastroenterologist for stomach problems).
(soft hugs)
Hazel xxx
HazelB
UKFM Member

Postby sjc » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:59 am

I have provided you with a web link about imipramine from wikipedia. If you cannot get into this weblink, I have copied some of the information from the webpage. Hope it is useful.

Imipramine was, in the late 1950s, the first tricyclic antidepressant to be developed (by Ciba). At the advent of SSRIs, its sometimes intolerable side-effect profile became more tolerable. Therefore, it became extensively used as a standard antidepressant and later served as a prototypical drug for the development of the later-released tricyclics. It is not as commonly used today, but is sometimes used to treat major depression as a second-line treatment. It has also seen limited use in the treatment of migraines, ADHD, and post concussive syndrome. Imipramine has additional indications for the treatment of panic attacks, chronic pain, and Kleine-Levin syndrome. In pediatric patients, it is relatively frequently used to treat pavor nocturnus and nocturnal enuresis.

Imipramine, a tertiary amine, affects numerous neurotransmitter systems known to be involved in the etiology of depression, anxiety, ADHD, enuresis and numerous other mental and physical conditions. Imipramine is similar in structure to some muscle relaxants, and has a significant analgesic effect and, thus, is very useful in some pain conditions. Imipramine is converted to desipramine, another TCA, in the body.

I personally been on this medication about a year ago. Personally, I did not feel it was useful for me. I felt more depressed after a few weeks on going on this tablets, and my gums was sensitive and started to bleed whenever I brushed them. But that is my experience, they may work for you......

I have been given an anti-depressant called Mirtazapine by my local doctor, which is also used for fibromyalgia patients....It works slightly different to Imipramine....Luckily, I have not really had much problems with the Mirtazapine apart from getting some cravings for food more on the medication....Mirtazapine is used for aiding towards better sleep for fibromyalgia patients....

Take care and hope they work. ;-)
sjc
UKFM Member

Return to Treatments & Medication