[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Naproxen and Amitriptyline - Does it work?

Naproxen and Amitriptyline - Does it work?

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Naproxen and Amitriptyline - Does it work?

Postby emma67 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:24 am

Hi,
I've recently moved from using codiene as pain relief for my fibro to using amitriptyline and 500mg napoxen. I was wondering if anyone else was on this combo and if it was working for them? I feel like the amitriptyline might be making me painful less often, potentially? :-? But when I do get it, I can't feel any effect whatsoever from the naproxen :( Don't know whether to persevere in the hope that the amitriptyline might build up and eventually make the naproxen work or whether to give up and head back to my GP? :-? Any advice or if you've had a similar situation would be really appreciated! Thanks :-) x
emma67
UKFM Newbie

Re: Naproxen and Amitriptyline - Does it work?

Postby migrembe » Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:55 am

Neither worked for me at all, sorry. I am solpadol codeine and paracetamol 30/60 x 2 three times a day and gabapentin and happy pills, everything helps but nothing cures.
migrembe
UKFM Member

Postby Leavanny » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:35 am

I was prescribed naproxen to start with when i was being tested for everything and anything. But once i got a diagnosis of FM i was told to stop it as i would not benefit from taking it anymore, due to the fact it is an anti inflammatory and we do not suffer from inflammation of anything .

At the moment i am on amitriptyline and slow release tramadol, neither seem to be helping. :-?

Im back at the doctors next week sometime (can't remember when) so hopefully we will try something different. If you have given the pills a week or so to kick in and they are still not helping i would go back to your doc and let them know.
Leavanny
UKFM Newbie

Postby FluppyPuffy » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:55 am

With meds it's difficult to say if something will help as we all react very differently to them, what may help one may not be as effective for another.

Amitriptyline is one of the first meds that is often tried for managing FM. It is an anti~d that has been found to help with pain and sleep. It needs about a month to fully build up and get into your system for you to feel its benefits. Sometimes the starting dose isn't effective, so depending on how long you have been taking them, you may either need a change in dosage and/or to give them a bit longer to take effect.

Naproxen is an anti~inflam. Altho inflammation isn't usually associated with FM, a med like Naproxen can also help ease pain. After a single dose they are said to work at least as well as paracetamol to ease pain.

If you haven't been taking then for very long, it might be worth giving the some more time to see if things begin to improve. If that doesn't help, then going back to your GP to see about changes in dosage and/or something different might need to be considered.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby dianamarie » Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:45 pm

Hi, i too am on Naproxen and Amitriptyline, and tramadol, plus happy pills, i done find they really work, as while typin i an in a lot of pain, :( , xx
dianamarie
UKFM Member

Postby seekingsunshine » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:19 pm

I have been on amitriptyline for a while now and my dose is currently 50mg at night and I don't sleep without it. I also take hydroxychloroquine 200mg twice a day and calcichew-D3 Forte (vit D) tabs twice a day and although I found the pain was sometimes easier it didn't go away completely. I then injured my wrist so was prescribed naproxen 250mg twice a day and as well as helping my wrist it also helped my overall pain symptoms so I am still taking it. I now have to take paracetomol 4-6 hourly throughout the day as well because I had to have a fissurectomy (totally unrelated to fibro but I am convinced that if I didn't suffer with fibro then I would have managed the pain this problem has caused far more easily). All these meds have now caused constant nausea so am now taking cyclizine hydrochloride for that! Glad I get my meds free as I wouldn't be able to afford to pay for them. I don't know what dose of ami you are taking but I would advise you to try the combination of ami and naproxen for at least a month to see if they work for you. I hope you find some relief soon. x
seekingsunshine
UKFM Newbie

Postby emma67 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:25 pm

Thanks for the replies guys! I spoke to my GP and he said to stop using the naproxen (been trying it for about 2 months now with no joy), so gunna up my dose of amitryptiline, and being put on diclofenac, but as that's a NSAID like naproxen I can't imagine it will make much difference! *facepalm* But fingers crossed anyway!!
So sorry to hear so many of you having to be on such a cocktail of drugs :( Here's hoping for a cure one day!!
xx
emma67
UKFM Newbie

Return to Treatments & Medication