[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Flupirtine

Flupirtine

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Flupirtine

Postby Niblet » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:38 pm

Hi, has anyone heard of or tried a pain killer called Flupirtine? I read about it somewhere as being good for Fibro. Not sure if it is available in the UK. Meant to ask my GP about it the last time I went but forgot :facepalm:
Niblet
UKFM Member

Re: Flupirtine

Postby FluppyPuffy » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:54 pm

Linky to an old topic on the med Niblet viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7630 It has a linky to a Wikipedia page about it that might be interesting/helpful.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby gerty22 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:55 pm

been on flupertine since June, best thing ever. tried everything else, my life is worth living but costing £83 a month. See FMSclinic london the only place you can get it from good luck
gerty22
UKFM Newbie

Postby Gromit » Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:04 pm

I have been taking Flupirtine since September and its made a huge difference to my life. I have managed to come off all other medication other than the Tramadol. I do still need this for pain. I am back at work and before I started taking this I was bed bound. It has been a wonder drug. Unfortunately its not avaliable on the NHS and its expensive - I am taking 600mg a day which is one slow release tablet of 400mg's and then 2 tablets of 100mgs - this comes to £137 per month - so its not cheep, but it has given me my life back. Prof Davies at the London Fibro clinic is very good, he believes in Fibro and is always looking for new treatment options and things.

However, i am not completely better by any stretch - I still have pain, I still have fatigue and I still have all the other lovely symptoms of fibro, they are just reduced to a level at which I can still function. I have just found out that if I over do things I am still able to have a flair as well :(

If you can afford it, it is a medication well worth trying - I am very lucky that I can afford it - I know that many fibro sufferers cant - hopefully it will be approved and avaliable on the NHS soon xx
Love from Grom :) xxx
Gromit
UKFM Member

Postby TATT » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:14 pm

Hi,

I read your posts with interest and researched this drug and have read good reports from it. I looked into the price and my husband has booked me in on Monday to see Prf Davies with the view to try get this Flupiritine.

I hope I get it and it helps and want to thank you for sharing as I would never have found out otherwise. I will keep you posted.

Thank you

Tatt x
TATT
UKFM Member

Postby Iceskatemum » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:05 am

Good luck Tatt with your trip to the clinic let us know how you get on.

Am afraid distance and cost would keep me from looking into this further but always interested to hear others sucess stories . So glad that it has helped others before you :-D
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby TATT » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:52 am

Will do x
TATT
UKFM Member

Postby Iceskatemum » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:44 am

Tatt did you ever get to the clinic to see Proff Davis?
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby TATT » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:45 pm

I did I post tommorrow as too bad today x
TATT
UKFM Member

Postby TATT » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:10 am

Feeling better today :-D

Saw Prof Davies, who is a nice man. He gave me the injections but it has had no effect, the flupirtine is not a cure but it helps with sleep pain nd mood, it's non addictive and from what I read you don't have to keep upping the dose like tramadol.

I have felt my muscles relax when taking it and I have had some better nights sleep, but to be honest after I saw him I felt unwell that night particularly where he had pressed on certain trigger points, then I only had a day before one daughter was being tested for diabetes and the other was looking like DVT.

So my stress and anxiety hit the roof then I had some bad news and spent a day crying, and so I have flared up. I spoke with two of the ladies on here that's on the Flup and one said that it took two months to get going for her and that she still has to pave but she would not be without it.

So I am still hopeful. Wishing everyone a painless day

Tatt x
TATT
UKFM Member

Postby TATT » Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:57 pm

I wanted to update on my progress with this new drug called Flupiritine.

I have been on it just over two weeks, it takes a while to see any effect, I am only on Tramadol 6-8 a day normally.

The Flupiritine after 10 minutes I can feel starts to relax my muscles, it has also improved my mood as I feel more positive about life and things in general.

It has also more importantly allowed me to sleep from 3 hrs per night then tossing and turning to a full 6-8 hours. I have woken up feeling refreshed and my body actually feels nice which is incredible.

As an experiment I have asked my snoring restless leg husband to sleep upstairs the last three nights and yesterday with ear plugs in I slept for 12 hours, I have woken up the last two mornings in no pain. Who would have thought it !!!!

I got up and languished myself in the shower and decided to prune my lady garden as it was in dear need of a good trim and I put my back out and am back in bed can't move lol you really have to laugh :roll:

Yesterday I continued with my Flupiritine but have reduced my tramadol to 4 a day as I could not resist the glass of wine and half a tub of cookie dough ice cream. What was interesting was I was pain free all day and within an hour my pain kicked in. So whether it was the sugar or alcohol and I know alcohol is sugar but it did make a difference. So I am kicking the sweet tooth as well now.

To summarise I don't feel Flupiritine is a strong painkiller but it can help with low background pain, definately helps me sleep and cheers me up. Even though we have to pay for it, I would not want to come off this for anything, the only side effects I got for a couple of days was an on off raised temperature, which I get anyway at times.

Green urine not a problem and a headache here and there. But after a week nothing. I can't speak for anyone else but this is improving my life with no side effects and no weight gain. I am a happy bunny.

Also just to say that its not a cure, I still have flares and need to pace, so I still have bad days BUT my good days are much much better days.

Love Tatt x
TATT
UKFM Member

Postby shazq » Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:43 pm

Hi Tatt

Thanks for your update, glad you are getting a refreshed sleep, bet that makes a big difference. :-D

Sorry you put your back out, had to laugh at the way you done it though :lol: :lol: :lol:

:fingerscrossed: Flupiritine will become available on the NHS.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby Iceskatemum » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:04 pm

sorry to hear about you back :roll: :roll: took me two read to understand how :lol: but really interested in how you have got on with the Flupirtine

Am still interested in this med but the travel to London etc is what's putting me off ...Oh and the monthly price tag. The only way I could afford it is if I managed to get back to work so its a bit of a catch 22 .

Good luck
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby TATT » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:27 am

I know i feel awful in a way as I have got it and yet so many of you can't try it.

I know he does telephone consultations and it works out I think about £25.00 a week which is a lot. The other thing was I read that the LDN in Stanford Uni is under trial and has had good results.

Emma from LDN now is campaigning to get it on the NHS as we can only get it private here. I wonder how we go about trying to get this drug available in the UK. it's available in Europe.

It's also been around since the sixties, with no side effects and no addiction to it it makes sense to introduce this than the morphine based ones that cause terrible withdrawls.

I am glad I made you and Shaz laugh about my grooming session, what's even funnier is I only managed one side, but hubby says that variety is the spice of life ;-)
TATT
UKFM Member

Postby Iceskatemum » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:25 pm

Don't feel bad Tatt about getting something that works for you , I'm sure I'm not the only one who is alway glad to hear when something works for someone else. The happy stories kee me going at least.

Totally agree it should be made available on the NHS, I'm sure they would be able to get it cheaper than what you pay for it privatley

Also given all the negative publicity recently in the press about folk becomming addicted to prescription drugs you would think they coul dbe persuaded to buy it given it has few side effect and seems to be just as efficient as opiod based drugs such as Tramadol etc.

HAve an appointment at the local pain management clinic next week, so am going to have a chat with the consultant and see if he or anybody else might prescribe it privately
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Return to Treatments & Medication