[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Gabapentin and oromorph

Gabapentin and oromorph

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Gabapentin and oromorph

Postby sknowles456 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:10 pm

My GP is going to look at trying me on gabapentin. How does everyone find it, what sort of side effects does it cause. do you know if you can take oromorph (oral morphine) with it? What dose are you on for it to work? Any feedback would be welcome. Suzy x
sknowles456
UKFM Member

Re: Gabapentin and oromorph

Postby FluppyPuffy » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:28 pm

It's the usual thing with meds and FM suzy, it can help some but not others :facepalm: :facepalm: I've not been on it, so what I know about it is what I have picked up from what others have said and what I have read about the med.

http://www.patient.co.uk/medicine/Gabapentin.htm This linky will tell you more about the med and as various peeps on here have tried it, no doubt someone will ne along with some actual experience of taking it. The main side effects I can recall being mentioned are the drowsiness and weight gain :( :( That shouldn't really be a surprise as I think most of what we are on have weight gain as a side effect :facepalm: :facepalm:

The dosage tends to be built up over a period of time, so it needs a fair while to get into your system fully. This can be anything from 1 to 3~4 months.

As to whether you can take oramorph with it, the best person to tell you if it is suitable for you to take them together is your GP, esp if you are on other meds for other conditions. Any possible interactions should be flagged up when your GP puts the med into your records on the pc.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby poocarlin » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:36 pm

I really didn't get on with Gabapentin. Feet swelling and head all over the place. (even more so than normal ...) Now on Pregabalin (more expensive drug) and it has meant I now actually sleep! I have never slept. Still in pain but more bearable when you get some sleep. Am on 225mg twice a day. You build up to that, and I did have side effects, but they go. Xx
poocarlin
UKFM Member

Postby Treece » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:52 pm

Hi, I am on gabapentin 300mg x 3 per day. I didnt think it was working because I was/am still continually in pain, however I ran out over a weekend and boy did I notice it. Its one of those strange things that you do not realise they do work at taking the edge off.

I take Zapain as a top up, never taken oromorph with it so not too sure about that.

I will say that the pain meds mix do leave me all over the place and my feet swell too... hadn't realised that it could be connected.

Its always worth a try... it might work for you.

xxx Treece
Treece
UKFM Member

Postby shazq » Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:37 pm

Hi
I was on Gaba`s for 6 months.

It can take up to 4 weeks to kick into your system, i had side affects for a couple of weeks, headaches, feeling dizzy,sickness. I put on a couple of stone in weight.

They did not help me & i was glad to come off them, but thats not to say they wont work for you, everyone reacts differently to medications so it might suit you, its worth giving it a go. :goodluck1:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Return to Treatments & Medication