[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Gabapentin and Diazipam

Gabapentin and Diazipam

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Gabapentin and Diazipam

Postby penfriend » Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:18 am

I know most of you have already tried many various helps for pain, but can you still manage to function, even 25%? I know I am now elderly, but have to give up my job way back in 1982 and since then deterioration has been in just about every respect. 3 years confined to bed and then wheelchair from 1990 Have tried many different pain meds over the years. I never said I would try Gabpentin but the nerve pains I have been enduring have been unbearable, especially since developing carpal tunnel, so relented, but I see that the capsules are hard and large, so there is no way I could swallow them. anyone know anything easier? Is there anything i n liquid form? Have had swallowing troubles for years and all foods have to be wet and soggy.

I have just been confined to bed now for weeks on end, scarcely able to move, and suddenly remembered I had some old diazipam so took one yesterday and found that my movement, though so painful, was a bit easier. going to take more today.

Obviously I feel so much for those much younger with all this, but I was the same. In fact I was only in my early 20s when the hospital told me they could do nothing for my kind of "arthritis" so its been a lifetime really, eventually being diagnosed with severe M.E., then later Fibro and now carpal.

sorry for all mistakes, can barely use my swollen fingers.

penfriend
penfriend
UKFM Member

Re: Gabapentin and Diazipam

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:18 pm

I was surprised to see you posting about these meds penfriend with you saying you prefer the more natural approach in previous topics.

I would be careful about taking the old diazepam you have, it could be past its use by date, or could cause an interaction between other things you take, incl the natural/herby type things you may take. If you feel they are beneficial, then seeing your GP for a new/fresh supply of them would be a sensible thing to do.

WRT Gabapentin, with the nerve pain being as you have described, taking them could be the thing that helps calm things down to a more manageable level. You've really very little to lose by trying them, and maybe some easing and comfort being gained, which is always very welcome.

The med does come in a liquid form, according to Dr Googly, so your GP will be the person to see if it is available to you.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Iceskatemum » Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:39 pm

beat me to it FPas I was just going to say you can get a liquid form of the med .... my neighbour takes it after having had a stroke and his swallow being affected.

Good luck and hope you get an appointment soon.
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby penfriend » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:28 pm

Thank you for the kind responses. Yes, I have and still do always try the more natural approaches first, of course, but understand that when the pain is so unbearable for weeks on end, confined to bed, realise that one needs something much stronger. as my GP said I needed Gabapentin, my carer/husband and I decided we would give it a go, but I cannot take it, as mentioned, because I am unable to swallow anything except liquid or very tiny tablets. My muscles are so very weak, that a lot of the time, they cannot even work my vocal chords.
So my husband checked with the Pharmacist and though he said it is available in liquid form but that it has to be made up specially, and he said it would be extremely expensive, and he doubted whether my doctor would or could approve it. so back to square one!

sincerely, Rosefen
penfriend
UKFM Member

Re: Re: Gabapentin and Diazipam

Postby FluppyPuffy » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:29 am

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Flash » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:41 am

Just a thought Penfriend, I read FPs post about you prefering the natural approach. That is great and orthodox medicine can go quite easily hand in hand with natural remedies but don't forget to mention them to your pharmasist. If you are taking gabapentin or diazapam, avoid 'Hypericum' (St Johns Wort) as the two could react one exagerating the effect of the other. I take hypericum 30 for nerve pain.

I hope the Gaba' works well for you. Take care.
Flash
UKFM Member

Postby penfriend » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:42 pm

thanks for those who responded which I've taken note. I do not have a steady doctor as he died recently, just locums coming in, and right now am totally unable to get anywhere, not being able to hardly get out of bed. also had my husband/carer ill again so its taking one day, or even one hour at a time.

I remembeer taking St.John's Wort once and although it helped stress, I found afterwards that I could not endure any bright lights or sun. thanks, so I would not attempt to take it again.

Just now also troubled with cystitis/candida badly after a dose of antibiotics for dental treatment so using cornsilk, which has always worked well in the past. If anyone wants cornsilk, it can be obtained through Woodland Herbs in Glasgow, on internet. I can really recommend it as it is a natural treatment, and is so alkaline. I drink it as tea.

can anyone help regarding severe carpal tunnel, fingers, wrists and arms are in such continuous pain and extremely useless. am having such trouble trying to type, even small amounts? I think we must get this so very bad because of the fibro. The best I use is aloe vera gel as it cools everything for a while, but I know its not the answer. cold compresses neither work. I did try various Bio-freeze gels etc but my eyes so sensitive cannot take menthol and in fact my eyes are still extremely sore weeks after, with also a painful spot on eyelid.

its a merry-go-round of trial and error to find things to help our weakness and severe pain.

thanks for reading. sincerely, Penfriend
penfriend
UKFM Member

Postby Flash » Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:04 am

Just a quick question Penfriend, was your carpel tunnel syndrome diagnosed after a nerve test or by a GP. I ask because I was told I had it and I was sure it was a trapped nerve in my neck. They assured me I was wrong and did the nerve test to prove it. It turned out I don't have it. It's my neck. The pain in my arm triggered my concern as I thought CTS affected the hand and wrist. I might be wrong but I'm glad I dug my heels in as I was due for an op which would have proved unnecessary and useless.

Hmm, antibiotics, hope you're eating some live yogurt.. Take care.
Flash
UKFM Member

Postby penfriend » Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:04 pm

thanks flash, yes carpal was diagnosed by locum g.p. after doing tests a while back, (but I had to cancel the electric shock tests as could not get out of bed, also against it because did not want to start off my tachcardia again.) I do know I have constant neck troubles so mayb e the physio in January may spot whether this is the cause. thanks for the suggestion. certainly *I've read that several with carpal have numbness. I never have that, only severe pain and great weakness - fingers/wrists/arms are terrible. Or is it all due to the fibro?

Ive had the carpal since August, and bought hand splints but really made no difference to the pain.

I used to make hand-made cards to sell for christian missions, but suddenly my hands went altogether, so no more. scarcely can type, so painful.

thanks for all suggestions. sincerely penfriend
penfriend
UKFM Member

Return to Treatments & Medication