Pain Management Program

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Pain Management Program

Postby VLB » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:23 pm

Was just wondering if anyone had attended a pain management program, and if so, did you find it beneficial. I'm due to go to the information session in a couple of weeks at the Royal Free Hampsted. Its is quite a journey for me and would mean taking a day a week off work for 8 weeks which is not ideal as will not be paid for the time. It sounds like it could be helpful, and may give me the chance to talk to both medical professionals and other FM sufferers who understand how I feel. Think this could be helpful as OfTen feel isolated with this condition and like those around me do not understand. However, I don't want to waste my time if its just a repeat of the advice I've already been given by pain consultant, GP, physio's etc. I'd be interested to hear others views. Are PMP's helpful???
VLB
UKFM Member

Re: Pain Management Program

Postby Iceskatemum » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:17 am

Have recently attended a Pain management programme offered by Arthritis Cares. it was only for 2 x 3 hr sessions although if I'm honest I found the 3 hr session very long and was VERY sore and exhausted at the end of each session , :yikes: even though I took the leaders advice and got up and stretched /walked about every 30mins or so.

Although short I found the sessions informative , I was the only FM sufferer there, although there were a few others with Chronic Pain conditions not arthritis based. However on a short course such as mine I would suggest that it might be just a rehash of advice gleaned else where, as I haven't had that option it was all new. A longer course such as yours will hopefully offer more information.

Good luck
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby difly » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:03 am

hi i attended at a pain management clinic didnt do the full course because it was stressful trying to arrange apts to fit in and around my work , in the end stoped going , initially did pick up a few tips and put a few exersises into practice but overall had difficulty attending
, have to say though i have got more from being on this forum xx
difly
UKFM Member

Postby shikara13 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:08 pm

Hi,

I am currently attending the PMC, I am 5weeks in the 8 weeks session. It all depend how good you are at managing your condition.i am attending a general session which has mixture of patients suffering from fibro to Arthritis. The sessions covers things like management,organisation,understanding and working with your limitations, how to change ur thinking & behavioural patterns to accommodate ur condition etc. as I was already doing quite a lot of these technique, i find the sessions a good refresher but if you are not open to alternative therapies then you might find it not helpful. A lot of the ppl who are in session with me at first found it to be beyond their understanding but a few weeks into the programme quite a few have changed the way they think. I find them to be generally more positive about their condition than they were when I first met them. So really it can be useful if u r willing to try new things out and have the right frame of mind. I hope this helps. Good Luck.
shikara13
UKFM Newbie

Postby Habinns17 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:27 pm

Hi I have recently completed a 8 week (1 day per week) pain management programme. Initially I was skeptical but I have to admit it was better than I expected. We covered topics like relaxation, planning, prioritizing, pacing, treatments and relapse management. To be honest I think it depends on what the other people on the programme are like. I was lucky to have a good bunch of people 3 of which had fm. I was one of the youngest on the programme (aged 32!) but managed to find things in common (other than pain) with most of the participants. The programme has not taken the pain away but has given me a greater insight in how to manage it. Good luck :-D
Habinns17
UKFM Newbie

Postby VLB » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:28 pm

Decided to do the program and start in JAn. I'm pretty nervous as have very little confidence and am worried they will make me talk in front of the group. I get ridiculously self conscious and anxious. Already seeing a counsellor who is helping me with this. Hoping the psychologist on the programme will understand. OMG. I'm scared. Still feel it is something I need to do though. Think all that any of us can do is be open to the advice of others and try everything. Can any of you give me prior warning if I will be made to talk in front of whole group?

Val
VLB
UKFM Member

Return to Treatments & Medication