[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Intolerant and allergic to meds

Intolerant and allergic to meds

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Postby Butterfly1972 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:37 am

Hi, new to forum but have been reading messages for a while with interest.
I was diagnosed early this year after months of tiredness and pain.
My query to others is: so I have tried Amitriptyline and Lyrica, these made be zombied and drunk/spaced out/aggressive respectively.
Next on list from consultant was Fluoxetine, went great for 2 weeks then got terrible case of urticaria, so had to stop them. GP said on Wednesday when I saw him that he is out of ideas and told me to ring consultant for an appointment.
Has anyone else had such problems? Is there anything else to try?
Yours in hope

Butterfly (chose this name cos I like them!!!!!!!) :lol:
Butterfly1972
UKFM Newbie

Postby lisaward127 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:58 am

Hello Butterfly, I have same problem, I have been treated with Ametriptiline and they really messed up my mood, I am now on Nortriptyline and I still seem to have the same effect, going to give it a try for few weeks to see how I get on. Tried Tramadol and they did help me a bit but have urinary problems with them. Been on Morphine patches that I now have allergic skin reaction to, my GP is at the same point where she doesn't know what to do, I am extremely sensitive to medication, so I now try Gabapentin in small dose with Paracetamol and think I found a level I can handle, this doesn't give me great pain relieve but it takes the edge off it. If you have not been to pain clinic yet that might be worth a try, I didn't find them helpful but I know some people do.
Best of luck Hun xxx
Lisa Ward
lisaward127
UKFM Member

Postby Morgana » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:07 pm

If I were to list the drugs I am allergic to I would still be here this time next year and you would all be in boredom induced comas!

The only painkiller I can take is paracetamol... which does sweet FA most of the time...

Good luck with finding something that likes you

Mo x
Morgana
UKFM Member

Location: A filing cabinet in Hell... or at least that's what it feels like!

Re: Intolerant and allergic to meds

Postby FluppyPuffy » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:18 pm

:welcome: to the forum Butterfly :wave: :wave: Nice to have you with us :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

With FM, sensitivities/intolerances/allergies to meds and things aren't that unusual I'm afraid. And added to that is the delight that whilst one thing may help one of us but be of no use to another :facepalm: :facepalm: All this adds its bit to what tends to be a long process of trial and error in finding what makes the difference for you :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

This linky tells you about some of the meds that can be used in trying to manage FM http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Fibromyalg ... tment.aspx Maybe having a look at it, as well as some of the posts on the boards might give you some ideas about ones to see your consultant/GP and discuss.

An alternative to Amitriptyline that is sometimes used is Nortriptyline, it is a very similar med but has been found to have fewer side effects and be better tolerated than the amis tend to have. Lyrica (Pregabalin) is a similar med to Gabapentin, and again if one doesn't suit someone, sometimes the other might, so it might be worth seeing if this could be suitable for you to try.

There are all sorts of things to be tried in various combinations, so if your GP is out of ideas about what you could try, maybe a different GP could have some other suggestions or you could see if you can be referred to a Pain Management Clinic/Programme and see what help they could be to you.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby monica » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:35 pm

I don't take any meds for my fibro because I can't tolerate the side effects. So I just battle on. Hope you find something that suits you.
monica
UKFM Member

Postby pixiecat » Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:31 pm

HI

Like everyone elses reply I am intolerant to a lot of the side effects of meds, my GP tried me on tramadol but the side effects were bad so she gave me slow release tramadol and I have found them much better to cope with so maybe you could give them a try as they dont hit your system in one go.

Lorraine
pixiecat

Return to Treatments & Medication