Dietary intervention does it help.

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Dietary intervention does it help.

Postby jbedford » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:21 pm

Hi I am newly diagnosed with fibromyalgia. I have had lots of health issues for most of my life and in desperation had food intolerance testing a few years ago. I was told I was intolerant to dairy, gluten and eggs I cut these out of my diet for a year and felt better but gradually reintroduced these foods and now feel shocking again. Apart from the FM I also have IBS chronic oesophagitis and feel tired and stressed all the time. I was wondering is there any research to suggest diet may play a part in FM. I will try anything if it will help. I am considering trying removing these foods again one at a time starting with gluten, any thoughts on this.
jbedford
UKFM Newbie

Re: Dietary intervention does it help.

Postby denys » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:40 pm

There are those who think diet can help and if you have intolerances to the foods you mentioned then perhaps you should look at cutting them out again. Reactions to food intolerance can give pain and cause IBS flare ups so wont be helping your symptoms of FM.

It may not help completely but if you felt better for avoiding those food stuffs then maybe it will help a little
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby Fibro Fi » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:43 am

Hi!
I am on an elimination diet at the moment as suggested by my kinesiologist. For the past 3 weeks I have cut out eggs, dairy, red meat, alcohol, caffeine, all processed and tinned food, sugar and also gluten because I am a newly diagnose coeliac. I have noticed that my
Aim has reduced a lot in the past week and haven't taken any tramadol. I am still getting IBS symptoms but think it is linked to dried fruit that I've eaten as I am keeping a food diary. I met with her yesterday, and I have to continue on this diet for a while longer. It's not been too hard but I am a bit fed up of eating fruit! She believes that I have an energy crisis, which is very true and has started with nutrition to flood out all the toxins. It is still a bit too early to tell if this diet wil have positive results for my FMS, but I am starting to feel a bit cleaner inside? And, I've lost 7 pounds in 3 weeks and I was really struggling to lose weight. In fact, it was all the extra exercise at the end of the summer that got me into this current relapse!
I would definitely encourage to remove foods that you know you are sensitive to as it isn't good for your system and it does create more
pain.
Anyway, good luck!
Regards,
Fiona.
Fibro Fi
UKFM Member

Postby Joannakw » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:45 am

Hi :-)
I too have IBS which I didn't have before the Fibro, it's predominantly constipation and I was referred to a dietitian. She was just undertaking some training on FODMAP which is an exclusion diet, so she trialled it on me and it definately helped. It caused me to lose a lot of weight, however to be able to go to the loo and have no pain was wonderful. I exclude lactose (except hard cheese), wheat (not all gluten as I'm not celiac), fructose, 'windy' veg, caffeine and a few others.... more info can be found on the internet. The idea is that you do this for about 6 weeks and then re-introduce food gradually. Its quite a drastic diet so I would suggest that you do it under supervision of your GP or a dietician. I have been prescribed calcium tablets and vitimins to make up for those that I would be lacking, so you need to make sure that you still get enough nutrients.
One bit of advice I can give is to avoid onions at all costs! look out for onion powder in stuff and onions in things. I certainly know when I've had some by mistake - it hurts like mad! :yikes:
Good luck with finding out what you can eat, it takes time and patience, but is worth it in the end
:xmaswave1:
Joannakw
UKFM Newbie

Postby Soapbubbles » Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:32 pm

Hi Folks,

I read your posts with great interest. Over the past few years both my sister and I have been trying to control various symptoms by adjusting our diets sometimes with help from doctors and dietitians and sometimes without and that was prior to being diagnosed with FM. Strangely enough some of the things we tried have helped us both. I thought I would share them.

I kept a food diary throughout the changes and my main motivation was to "cure" my chronic insomnia, which I now think is part and parcel of FM although non of the health professionals I saw actually said this! Nothing I tried changed the insomnia for any length of time and I have had a flare up despite all my efforts. The trouble is you never know what you would have been like it you hadn't tired in the first place, but I suspect I might have worse.

Briefly

1. Gluten free diet substantially helped us both with IBS ( still gluten free) - tests showed nothing.
2. Nightshade free diet(potatoes, peppers, tomatoes, chilli) - helped my sister's migraines and stiffness and appeared to help my arthritis at first, until I had another flare up. This is really hard to do as there are hidden ingredients in everything! I am still trying though as I think I am better without. New potatoes definitely cause me problems.
3. Did the no caffeine or alcohol, but found no difference and feel better with a little of both occasionally.
4. No sugar of any kind - This improved my mood and some of the joint pain I think. Hard to keep up especially at christmas.
5. Dairy free - Improved my hay fever and chronic rhinitis. I now have some dairy foods but if I over do it I have symptoms and skin problems.

I must stress that the above is personal and was discussed with a dietitian. I asked for allergy testing but the dietitian i saw was not convinced that i didn't have coelic disease and said it was a waste of time testing for allergies unless I ruled that out. As i definitely don't want to eat gluten again for three months I am resisting this at present.

Thanks for your patience if you got this far.
Soapbubbles
UKFM Member

Postby jovigirl69 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:32 am

I went down the gluten free road a few years back for my IBS but it didn't help. I try not to eat too much bread though as it can make me very bloated. Although GP's etc tell you to increase fibre intake for IBS, unfortunately I can't have too much fibre as it makes my symptoms worse. I agree with a previous post about onions, cooked are ok but raw ones aren't. I also have a problem with tomatoes, they can cause absolute agony but I'm ok with tinned tomatoes. Another major thing to avoid is the artificial sweetener "Aspartame" and unfortunately it is put into a lot of food and drink products. They reckon that diet drinks are worse for you than non-diet drinks. If you google aspartame you will be very shocked as to what is said about it as it is actually a form of poison and if you have too much of it, it can cause a lot of damage. What shocks me is the fact that they put it in kids drinks. I also find that fatty foods can cause my IBS to flare up. I now try and eat little but often and find this helps.
jovigirl69
UKFM Member

Postby Soapbubbles » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:01 pm

It is frustrating as even though I try to eat all the right things I still suffer from ibs but nowhere near as bad as it was when I was eating gluten. I think I might try lactose free stuff and see if it helps.
Best wishes folks.
Soapbubbles
UKFM Member

Return to Treatments & Medication