[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Complete List of known treatments for Fibro pain- Survey

Complete List of known treatments for Fibro pain- Survey

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Postby SandyLee » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:13 am

Hi all,

I'm the partner of someone with Fibro and I'm after a complete list of all the treatments for Fibro pain people on this forum have experienced? My partner tells me that fibro treatment is hit and miss and I'm after the options. The last list of this type on this forum that I've found was compiled 3 years ago.

In order to keep this focused and perhaps turn this into a community resource we can all use for ideas it might be useful if:

1) We just list treatments people have experienced: mainstream or alternative

2) We are specific (e.g Amytripteline 10mg) not 'I had this herbal concoction about 5 years ago and it was amazing'

3) We keep debates as to the efficacy of one treatment versus another treatment to other threads

Thanks in advance for any help you guys can give. I'm just trying to survey what options are out there =)
SandyLee
UKFM Newbie

Re: Complete List of known treatments for Fibro pain- Survey

Postby madasa » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:05 am

I find shiatsu enormously helpful. It is expensive (about £40 per hour) and I can't afford to have it as often as I'd like (weekly) but for me it works miles better than amitriptyline and the effects of a good session can last for up to two weeks. I cannot tell you what sweet relief it is to be pain free for that long! :)
madasa
UKFM Newbie

Postby swbadcock » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:14 am

Tramadol 50mg 2 4 times a day , but i do have PsA as well
swbadcock
UKFM Member

Postby KellyBelly » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:22 am

Good plan!

We just list treatments people have experienced: mainstream or alternative AND we are specific
I am currently on:
Amytripeline 50mg everyday for sleeping (this has steadily increased over 2.5yrs from 10mg)
Pitzofen 0.5mg everyday for migraine prevention
Sumatriptain when having a cluster head attack
Tramadol for pain relief when needed (up to 4 x 50mg 4 times a day)
Naproxen for pain relief/anti inflammatory when having a tietzes attack or for when my back is inflamed. (I also take something along with the naproxen to settle my stomach - Omzysomething - i can't find the prescription with the name on as I very rarely now take the naproxen - you'll see why below)

I have also been put on Gabapentin (I forget the dosage) but was swiftly taken off this as I was sensitive to it and ended up with paramedics at my bedside because of it! That was not a fun day!

I have also previously been on Dicolfenac for my back - but this has now been superseeded by the naproxen.

I take cherry juice every morning as a natural anti-inflammatory - since having cherry juice I very rarely need the naproxen.

I am also on Vit D supplements as my levels are ridiculously low. Lo vit d levels can make fibro pains worse - I can really tell if I miss a few days of my vit d supplements.

If the amytripeline needs "boosting", I use Bachs Rescue NIGHT Remedy too.

Other than that, I try to eat well (I saw a nutritionist who recommended heading towards a "caveman diet") and I have regular baths as I find this eases my muscle pain. Anything 'warming' in my bath helps too - I have the craziest stash of Lush bubble bars and ballistics!

CBT - I had cbt over the summer and I must say I thought it was WONDERFUL! I'd really recommend it. it was arranged through my local iapts team and there were 10 of us enrolled. 3 of us had fibro, 2 had ME, 1 had polymyalgia, 1 had RA and the rest never never showed up. It was great to get the help and advice - I really found it a brilliant course.

Oh and positivity - sounds daft but if I'm really down in the dumps during a bad flare up (as I was yesterday - I cried too much) - seeing friends, watching funny films etc really helps me to come out the other side.
KellyBelly
UKFM Member

Postby Lemonzest2012 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:35 am

Only thing I take atm is long acting tramadol (Zanadol) 100mg x4 (every 6 hours)
Lemonzest2012
UKFM Member

Postby Newbigginboy » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:37 pm

Hi,

I've had FM since August 2011 & my medication has changed over time I have previously been on Pregabalin & Citalopram but as I know longer have the doses I'll just stick to what I'm on now:-

Amytriptilinre 75mg nightly
Coedeine Phosaphate 60 mg 3 times a day
Gabapentin 600 mg three times a day
Fluoxetine 20mg daily
Cetirizine Hydrochloride 10mg a day - allergies
Mbeverine 135mg per day - Irritable Bowel Syndrome
Lansoprazole 30mg daily - for a duodenal ulcer caused by Naproxen - was hospitalised in October 2012 - nearly bought the farm.
Glucosamine Sulphate 1000mg daily
Multivitiamin & Iron i tablet a day

Hope this helps. I recently started using a tens machine which is part of the pain clinic - at the moment I'm still in pain all day.
Newbigginboy
UKFM Newbie

Postby liv » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:02 pm

Good idea!

I am pretty much self medicating other than Amitriptyline 10 mg
Turmeric from Healthspan
OptiMSM from Healthspan
Osteo Bi-Flex
Bimuno Prebiotic
Menoserene from Healthspan
Baths in Epsom salts to supplement Magnesium

I try to keep as calm as possible (not easy) and eat a "clean" diet ... as little sugar and processed food as poss.

Most of the time I am coping quite well on this. I have been ill for 10 or so years but was only diagnosed in June 2012. I try to keep as physically active as possible, probably more than most.
Last edited by liv on Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
liv
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:05 pm

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Ducky34 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:32 pm

I'm on lyrica (pregablin) 150mg twice a day, plus amitriptyline 50mg at night to help with sleep.

I have seen a nutritionist and cut down sugar in my diet, not that it has made too much difference, the best advice is to have a healthy diet, with not too much caffiene or alcohol.

Massage and remedial treatment helps me, it hurts at the time and after, but does loosen me up a little which helps.

I've tried acupuncture which used with an infrared light really helps, however I can't afford to have this and massage, and I prefer massage as I like to actually feel it working, although acupuncture may be good for those who can't bear to be touched.

Hot baths, heat wraps, hot water bottles, Epsom salts help me.

I try to not take too much in the way of pain killers if I can help it, so I take paracetamol or ibuprofen, and if that doesn't work I try co-codamol.

Yoga and light stretching helps me, as does relaxation techniques. Any thing that "calms down" our hypersensitive nervous systems will help us, and ease our overall pain.

Oh and resting when I flare, nothing helps more than rest and sleep if I can.

Hope this helps x
Ducky34
UKFM Member

Postby VLB » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:27 am

What a great idea!!

I am currently taking:
Tramadol x2 50mg tablets up to 4x a day
On bad days, supplement Tramadol with paracetermol and if that doesn't work diazepan 5mg 3x a day
Gabapentin 1x 300mg tablet 3x a day
Propranolol 1x 10mg 3x a day
Amnitriptyline 1x 25mg tablet at night

Also take St John's Wort and Valerian root

Since replacing Naproxn with Gabapentin and adding the St John's Wort and Valerian root, I have been feeling considerably better than I was before. I also exercise daily. How much and what I do depends how I am feeling. Generally do 10-20mins walk ontread mill, followed by 15 mins leg & arm strengthening, then 15 mins abs,, hips and back and then 15 mins stretching. On the bad days just cut things down and if I can only warm up and stretch figure that is better than nothing at all. Also have remedial massage twice a month. Its agony at the time and for a while after, but once everything settles definately feel better for it. My wheat bags are a godsend on painful muscles, couldn't be without them. At the same time as my meds changed also drastically changed my diet cutting down on caffeine, just one coffee a day then decaf, cut out sugar, processed food and all refined wheat products. Eat no bread at all and only brown pasta and rice. Vegetarian diet. Lots. Of fruit, veg and water. A plan that seems to work pretty well for me. Still have plenty of bad days, but no longer in a continual flare.
VLB
UKFM Member

Postby Jojostar » Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:03 pm

Hi,
Edronax 4mg for depression
Kapake 4x daily
Serquel 50mg for anxiety
Naproxen 500mg for pain only take wen really bad
Fentanyl patch 50mg
Diazapam 5mg
quinine 300mg at night for restless legs
Baclofen
Vitamin d
If you shook me id rattle x
Jojostar
UKFM Member

Postby SandyLee » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:58 am

Thanks for that guys that's really useful
SandyLee
UKFM Newbie

Postby Iceskatemum » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:26 pm

I suffer from other conditions apart from the FM one of which is a bad back so am only giving meds for the back & FM.

Current medication

Butrans patch 15micrograms /hour ..........taken as 1x10 mg patch & 1x5mg patch worn for 7 days.
Maxitram (long acting Tramadol ) 2x 50 mg twice a day
Pregabalin 1x75mg twice a day (have tried increasing but have difficult with side effects over this dosage)
Effexor 3x 75mg twice a day split in to 2x75mg plus 1x75mg

Also take Pantoprazol 1x 40mg to ease my stomach given all the meds & valoid 1x75 up to 3 times a day for nausea.

HAve in the past been on Fentylyn patches but ended up in A&E seeing littel green men!
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby jovigirl69 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:04 am

After trying numerous medications over the years mainly for IBS, I was finally diagnosed with fibro in May last year and have tried all the recommended medications for this only to find they don't agree with me or didn't work, so after doing a lot of research and having a very good GP we now seem to have found a concoction that is working. I am currently on:

Zopiclone 7.5mg 3 nights a week for sleep
Mirtazapine 30mg 4 nights a week for sleep
1 x 5mcg butran patch changed weekly combined with 2mg of oromorph as a top up if needed for pain relief of the fibro and IBS
2 x 500microgram, 3 times a day of clonazepam which is used as a muscle relaxant which now means I can do things like housework without suffering too much lol
1 x 2mg loperamide for loose stools taken when needed (tends to be a couple of times a week)
1 x 30mg Lansoprazole to control stomach acid taken when needed, generally if i need to take the Naproxen as anti-inflamatories tend to produce acid
1 x 300mg iron tablets 3 times a day
1 x 500mg Naproxen twice a day taken when needed (tends to be couple of times a month)
1 x 135mg three times a day of Mebeverine to stop bowel spasms caused by IBS, taken when needed
1 x 2.5mg Bedroflumethiazide to reduce swelling in ankles and fingers taken when needed which isn't very often.
jovigirl69
UKFM Member

Postby cowsrock » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:22 pm

Hi all

I have had Fibro since 2003

I am on Gabapentin 4 times a day

Co-Dydramal 500/10mg 2x 4 times a day

Just had a cortisole injection beween my shoulder blades

Oramorph 10ml when I need it

Sarting MST Continus 5mg 1 a day to start, taking from tomorrow

I have 2 Cervical neck bulges, Arthritis in wrist, knee and neck that I know of so far.

Hope this helps :-)
cowsrock
UKFM Member

Next

Return to Treatments & Medication