[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - tramadol dizziness

tramadol dizziness

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

tramadol dizziness

Postby elfval » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:17 pm

Hi all

my doc prescribed me tramadol hydrochloride 50mg when i finally got my diagnosis and she beleived me that co - codamol werent touching my pain.

They are making a difference to my pain, but im finding the side effects difficult. Im always susceptible to side effects of any medication. Theyre making me well dizzy. wooozy and confused, and nauseus at times. The side effects last for 5 - 6 hs, luckily im finding the apin releif lasts evenlonger, and as im in less pain the day after taking them im only taking them every other day. Im waking up at 6am to take them so i can start to function by about midday. I cant function on them, so even tho i have less pain im not getting more done!
I do volunteer work 2 days wk and cant take them those days at all as brain turns to mush :crazy:

I think theyre making me constipated too which is no good for other symptoms i have :oops:

Im also finding that as ive had a break from pain im able to deal with it less well on non painkiller days. Phaps i should go back to trying just to live with the pain?

Goin to docs tomorrow so gonna discuss other options - mebbe codeine?

as im so susceptible to side effects im reluctant to start messing about with amis, peragablin or gabapentin but perhaps this is inevitable?
elfval
UKFM Member

Re: tramadol dizziness

Postby FluppyPuffy » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:40 pm

How many trammies are you taking each time val?? If you've started on the maximum dose it could be part of wy you're finding the side effects so intense at the moment.

They made me feel woozy when I first started on them, but it passed fairly quickly. I started off on half the max dosage, which has increased to the max one now.

Talking to your GP is a good idea, esp with you finding them so beneficial. They may be able to give you something to help ease things side effect wise :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed:

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby pixiecat » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:16 pm

Hi I too take tramadol but couldn't manage the side effects but needed the pain relief it gave me, so my doctor gave me the slow
release ones and I don't have any trouble with them, so try to see if you can get those instead, they are the same dose only released slowly over time.

Lorraine
pixiecat

Postby elfval » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:34 pm

I started off taking one but had side effects and not much pain releif, so upped it to 2. I think im allowed 8 a day! i cant imagine taking that many :roll:
I also think these are the slow release ones :( i thought mebbe that was why i was getting a long time of side effects, like slow release side effects or something!
Will be interesting to see what doc says tomoz x
elfval
UKFM Member

Postby maxtomads » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:45 pm

The slow release ones are just to be taken 2 a day, 12 hours apart. 8 a day are the normal ones. Hope that helps

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain
maxtomads
UKFM Member

Postby AJay71 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:46 pm

Hi Val,

I was on Tramadol years ago, before anyone knew about my fibromyalgia. I absolutely hated them, the way they made me feel and the way they made me act. My husband says they completely changed my personality. I was always angry and argumentative and would pick fights with everyone!

To be honest they never actually took my pain away. One time when we were flying to Spain for a holiday, back in 2002, I was in so much pain with the 3 hour flight that I was popping them like smarties, because they didn't offer any relief... I actually collapsed with violent convulsions. It was the most scary thing to happen in front of my 2 little boys... and my hubby was pretty shaken up by it also.

I've seen quite a few different Consultants and different GP since and everytime they try to give me Tramadol or Tramake my hubby jumps right in and says please No not that!

Obviously we are all different but you really need to find something that you can safely take on a daily basis that will keep your pain at bay and allow you to function normally.

Good Luck. I hope you GP is helpful.
Take care and do let us know the outcome.
Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. - Goethe
AJay71
UKFM Member

tramadol dizziness

Postby Morgana » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:52 pm

Tramadol hated me... found that out after one tablet... not good...

I hope you find something that works

Mo x
Morgana
UKFM Member

Location: A filing cabinet in Hell... or at least that's what it feels like!

Postby elfval » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:04 pm

Ugh i mustve been getting very confused. nothing unusual there! I cant find the leaflet that came with them now tho, which is unusual as i never throw anythin away! glad im goin docs tomoz.
elfval
UKFM Member

Postby shazq » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:53 pm

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby elfval » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:58 pm

Hi shazq after looking online seems it was not slow release tramadol, so at least i havnt been overdosing myself! Will ask doc tomorrow if maybe they will be better. Co codamol gave me headaches and didnt do much re pain releif, so might see if she thinks just codeine might be better :)
elfval
UKFM Member

Postby VLB » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:44 pm

Hi Val

I ve been taking Tramadol 50mg, 2 3x a day. Take 2 4x a day supplemented with paracetemol on the bad phases. My consultant made me take a week off work when she put me on them to give myself time to adjust to the side effects. I felt awful when I first started taking them. There is no way I could have worked. Slept for most the week. Dizzy, naueous, headaches, drowsiness. However over time the side effect subsided and now I find them the best thing for my pain and rarely get any side effects at all. Speak to your GP about other options by all means, but may just be a case of giving your body time to adjust.

Good LucK. Hope you find the answer!
VLB
UKFM Member

Postby elfval » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:06 pm

well have been to docs, they were def not slow releases.
Shes not reccomending that I take more if im getting enough pain releif from just 2 a day, as the side effects havnt lessened any yet she thinks perhaps they wont. She has given me the slow release ones to try, although she thinks they might make me feel worse!
Weds and Thurs are my voluntary work days so i will leave it untill fri to try em out. If they affect me badly she will try codeine.
She not that keen on meds every day for it anyway, as then you cant tell where you are with your pain, if youve been overdoing it and its got worse, or if youre doing something right and it gets better. Shes looking in to whats happened to my pain clinic referral as its taking a long time.
Id like to find a painkiller that suits me so i can at least have a 'holiday' from the pain sometimes!
elfval
UKFM Member

Postby shazq » Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:14 pm

:goodluck1: on them elfval, they are worth a try. :fingerscrossed:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby sknowles456 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:37 pm

I found that Tramadol made me really spaced out, but i got used to that after a while, i found they really helped with my pain but the GP found out i was taking cocodamol as well and stopped them. he has now tried me on gabapentin which are helping but again these mademe spaced out to start with. i think maybe you need to persevere if they are helping you.
sknowles456
UKFM Member

Postby elfval » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:25 pm

Well i didnt get a chance to try my new meds as the pains decided to subside! which was lovely of course :) while the pains had lessened a few of my other symptoms flared up (irritable bladder and hemorrhoids :oops: ) so there's never an end to it! Now they are back, in my upper back and arms. I have tried them, they are tramadol 100mg mr. I dont seem to be getting any side effects! The pain releif is not as good as the fast release ones, but as im not experiencing side effects phaps she will be able to up the dosege. she has also given me zacin (capsaicin) cream.
elfval
UKFM Member

Next

Return to Treatments & Medication