[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Amitriptyline Questions

Amitriptyline Questions

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Amitriptyline Questions

Postby LucyLiz » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:05 pm

I've just been prescribed Amitriptyline 10mg tablets, I read that a lot of you are using them too and I just had a couple of questions for you based on experiences...

First, alcohol - the leaflet says to avoid alcohol but I was wondering if that is completely avoid it or just around the time of taking the tablet? I'm not a big drinker anyway but with the side effects I've been warned of I don't fancy making them any worse! If I had an alcoholic drink with a meal (say at 8pm) would I be ok taking the tablet at 10:00 - 10:30pm?

Second, I guess like anything the medication will be more effective once it's built up in my system, but I was wondering if anyone had had any success just taking a tablet as and when it's needed? I find my Fibro flares up for a few days then will be ok for a few days, ideally I'd like to use the medication like a painkiller and only take it when I'm in pain, but if that's going to be less effective it's pointless!

Thanks!
LucyLiz
UKFM Newbie

Re: Amitriptyline Questions

Postby linedancer99 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:31 pm

Hi there, I was on 10mg of amitriptilene and asked doc about alcohol and he said it was fine.
Doc told me it would just make me more drowsy and as I mainly have a drink in the evening what the heck. :lol:
Also it is the lowest dose you can have.

I am on 50mg dosulepin now, also Co dydromol as and when. both say avoid alcohol but was told ok (in moderation).

Please though check with your doctor. Maybe ask pharmacist they would advise you too.

Hugs xx
linedancer99
UKFM Member

Postby tigger2012 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:42 pm

hi
i personally havebt had any problems with taking them and drinking. im not a big drinker but have had glass or two of wine then took them.
They can make you quite drowsy especially in mornings so that could worsen if u had drunk as well. Many people struggle with the drowsiness side effect of them which can be helped by taking them earlier in the eve so they ware off earlier in morning.I think it dif for everyone and vest to see how effects you.i didnt dribk for first few months of taking them then when i thought they werent effecting me too much i tried a glass of wine with meal amd now im confident that ok for me.

i think its best if u take them regular as they can help get you in good sleep pattern wgich really helped me with other symptoms.

its all trial and error really,hope they help! i think your body does get used to them in time.10mg used to knock me out now im on 20mg and considering 30!

x
tigger2012
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:46 pm

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16002 We've been on about amitriptyline on this linky, might be worth a look to see if there is anything helpful for you in it. It is usually taken all the time, to build it up in your system and then keep it at an effective level. It's not really designed for taking as and when.

I'd check with your GP about the alcohol question as you'll be given advice specific to you and your circumstances. We all react very differently to meds, alcohol etc, so whilst some may find they're OK with an occasional one, for others it may not be the case.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Moobaloo » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:59 pm

Hi LucyLiz,

As others have already said, probably best to double check with your GP about drinking with your Amitriptyline, but I am on a much bigger dose than you and can still enjoy an occasional glass of wine. I tend to avoid alcohol anyway as it's currently having an exceedingly nasty side effect whenever I have any & sends me running for the nearest loo! :oops:

I started on 10mg Amitriptyline, but I'm now on 75mg as I was struggling to get to sleep & then repeatedly waking up in pain. Everyone's got different thresholds, but the important thing is to take them every day! As with most antidepressants, it will take a number of weeks to build up in your system & start working most effectively.

Have you found a painkiller that works for you? Paracetamol/ibuprofen/co-codamol did nothing for my fibro pain, so I'm currently on Tramadol, which I take as needed up to 4 times a day. You should find you're feeling a little better after you've been on the Ami's for a month or so, but when you feel better just remember that you feel better because of the meds & need to keep taking them! ;)

Moobaloo x
Moobaloo
UKFM Member

Postby Pinkprincess205 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:17 pm

Hia
I started on 10mg like yourself, i am now up to 40mg and thinking about going up to 50mg. If i have the occasional drink like just 1 glass then i still take the tablet, but if i am having a proper night out then i tend to not take my tablets for that night. As the drink tends to make me sleep anyways lol, but i do get very tipsy on any alcohol these days but then i have always been a lightweight lol, so in not sure that the ammi does make it worse or not. But that is the only time i do miss taking them, otherwise i do take them every night.
But like everyone said i would have a word with your doctor and see what they say.
Vic x
Pinkprincess205
UKFM Member

Postby Magz » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:52 pm

Hi Lucyliz
I do exactly what you are suggesting and it works great for me even with alcohol! Only taking them as and when prevents your body getting used to them and demanding more....I do the same with painkillers too. Of course if they are prescribed for depression you would need to take them all the time but then you would have been given a stronger dose for that. So I would say go for it!! Doctors tend to give text book answers but we are all different!
Magz
Magz
UKFM Newbie

Amitriptyline Questions

Postby vampireangela » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:02 am

I was on 60mg and sometimes had a beer and I was ok like others have said I don't drink often but I was ok

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
vampireangela
UKFM Member

Return to Treatments & Medication