Crutches

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Crutches

Postby lisaward127 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:15 pm

Hello all,

I have today received my crutches, my GP wanted to perscribe me some but the ones from the NHS are not cumfortable. My husband ordred me a easy grip, soft hande pair online. I am still shy to use them, not sure why, I think I am still trying to play my condition down. I have to say that it helps me a lot with my balace and it makes a great differance to my mobility, it is only day one and I am concerned that my hands will pain from using them to much. I have always been hyperactive and find it difficult to slow down, I had a bad fall on Saturday and this made me realize that I need to slow down. I tend to go mad in the mornings when I can and hoover and dust and within and hour I am burned out. Now planning a weekly activity log so I can still do what I need to but spread out over the week.

Gentle Hugs Lisa xx
Lisa Ward
lisaward127
UKFM Member

Re: Crutches

Postby bluesheep » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:19 pm

I had similar problem with crutches I could not balence with them because it felt like I was being forced forwards by the angle of them. The physio gave me Gutter crutches instead which look like a piece of padded guttering on top of a stick with a hand rest in front of them so you use the whole of your lower arm to rest on them and take your weight not your hand and wrist. Which I have I found a lot more comfortable but the inside of my arm that rest on the gutters does get sore but not as bad as traditional crutches. (and I found putting an extra layer of padding on them helped with the comfort of them as well)
bluesheep
UKFM Member

Postby bulldog7274 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:28 pm

I have started to use trecking poles to help me with my balance as its has started to give me problems weather its getting up after sitting down or walking along and i stumble but i know one day i will end up with crutches but i am not looking forrward to it as all the crutches seam to be very boring in colour so if i do end up with them im going to get them sprayed p in different colours might even get a flame job on them :crazy: :crazy:
bulldog7274
UKFM Member

Crutches

Postby lisaward127 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:17 pm

Yes Buldog I love the idea, I can Essex mine up a bit, bling and glitter all over.
Lisa Ward
lisaward127
UKFM Member

Postby difly » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:22 pm

Hi lisa ive tried crutches but prefare trecking poles they adjust easily and I feel safe usig them , dont ave to use them all the time yet but they do help stay safe difly x
difly
UKFM Member

Return to Treatments & Medication