anyone tried glucosomine with chondriutin?

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

anyone tried glucosomine with chondriutin?

Postby penfriend » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:14 pm

my sister-[in-law has today asked whether I had tried glucosomine as it is supposed to help fibro pain and swellings? Its true I had not, I think sometime ago when I looked at it, the fact it was from shell-fish turned me off completely. I also cannot swallow tablets, but did find some syrup available so going to give it a try. just wondered if anyone else with fibro has tried it and, if so, whether it was any benefit.

whilst writing, I have discovered that warm castor oil massage can be beneficial, especially where there is swelling, so trying it on my hands.

anything is worth a try. regards penfriend
penfriend
UKFM Member

Re: anyone tried glucosomine with chondriutin?

Postby penfriend » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:15 pm

sorry, think I spelt chondroitin incorrectly. penfriend.
penfriend
UKFM Member

Postby Soapbubbles » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:15 pm

Hi Penfriend,

Its good to see you are on the forum again.

I think it is usually suggested as a supplement for people with arthritis rather than fibro pain. But who knows? I did try glucosamine sulphate for a week or two but it didn't agree with my stomache at the time. It is expensive and the cost put me off too. But let us know how you get on.

Interestingly stock made from bones contains lots of the nutrients needed to repair joints and ligaments. It's being able to make it that's the problem. I have good intensions though and keep odd bones in the freezer ready to make into stock.

I rub a little tiger balm into my thumb joints and finger joints when they are sore. Perhaps its just the smell that distracts me. Not sure how much it really helps. I hadn't heard of castor oil massage before.

Best wishes this cold weather. Keep warm. x
Soapbubbles
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:46 pm

As you said anything is worth a try cos you just might get some relief, if you decide to go ahead lets know how you get on :fingerscrossed: :-D :-D :-D
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby liv » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:15 pm

Yes I take it along with Turmeric, a good multi vit and MSM. I also bathe in Epsom salts. This combination along with a good diet really really helps me.

Good luck!
liv
UKFM Member

Postby penfriend » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:21 pm

thanks ladies for your responses which I've taken note of. I would expect that if and when I take the syrup of glucosomine, it is most likely to upset my stomach, because of the existing problems I have, including gall-stones and one stone stuck in the bile duct which I believe has been there for years, plus diverticulitis and IBS. But will give it a try. Yes it is fairly expensive.

Wouldn't it be wonderful if we could wake up one morning and have NO pain and No stiffness and No inflammation? To be able to walk out the door would be a dream for me. Not been able to do that since about 1985.

I cannot make any soup with bones, or anything, not been able to cook for about 28 years or so! My husband is my carer, and he has to give provide my every need,including very wet foods, so I can swallow them. Soups are a favourite, but sadly from a tin.

My deep empathy with you all in your sufferings.

penfriend
penfriend
UKFM Member

Postby penfriend » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:54 am

after writing about the above, I have decided not to buy it and try it. When I read about the contents, I knew that I would have such an adverse reaction. It is shark's cartilege, with other bovine ingredients, and with shell fish. I know many take cod liver oil, which is what it says, but I cannot, so thats another indication. I hope no-one has taken much notice of what I originally wrote. we get so desperate, we want to try these things. I also read that it is taken more for arthritis and the joints. kind regards penfriend
penfriend
UKFM Member

Postby Flash » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:57 am

Yes penfriend, it is taken more for arthritis. I took it for some while and thought it wasn't doing much but when I stopped, my wrists and fingers would start being troublesome again. It helped small areas but not places like hips, shoulders etc.
There is a form of glucosamine that comes from bovine sources but that's not as good anyway. So,You are not mising out much.
Take care. X
Flash
UKFM Member

Return to Treatments & Medication