[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Not allowed any more meds as on Citalopram?

Not allowed any more meds as on Citalopram?

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Not allowed any more meds as on Citalopram?

Postby Julia123 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:29 pm

Hi All

Been to docs today for results of an MRI on my neck. All results ok apart from small bulging. While there I had a conversation about my pain as I am really struggling at the moment. He was going to prescribe Lyrica then said I couldn't have it as it came up with an interaction, same with Gabapentin and Amytriptalene. I have been prescribed the last two before but didnt really feel any benefit.

He sent me away saying ' you have a bloody annoying thing but it isnt killing you'

I am devastating and have no relief for my pain, paracetamol doesn't touch it, am not allowed ibuprofen without Omeprazole (heard that is dangerous) Prescripion strength co-codamol sends me to sleep as does Diazepam.

Help!! :cry: :cry:
Julia123
UKFM Newbie

Re: Not allowed any more meds as on Citalopram?

Postby lil-burkie » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:16 pm

hi, i dont understand this - i am on pregablin (lyrica) naproxens and citalopram and have been for over a year although i cant say any of them do much at all. i would ask for a second oppinion if i was u

good luck xx
lil-burkie
UKFM Member

Postby Sujo69 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:27 pm

I also take citalopram, lyrica and nortriptilyne. Don't know what he is on about.
Sujo69
UKFM Newbie

Postby macca » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:39 pm

My mrs was on citalopram but when diagnosed with fibro the consultant said we need to change citalopram for duloxetine as it doesn't mix well with the pregabalin ( lyrica) that we also need to prescribe

Macca
macca
UKFM Member

Postby Jo Owen » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:59 pm

I am also on Citalopram, Pregabalin and Tramadol, after going to the pain clinic, I've been on them for about 2 years.
Jo Owen
UKFM Newbie

Postby inkyboo » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:06 pm

I know what you mean with ibuprofen as in August 2012 my stomach hemmoraged because of taking high dose ibuprofen as it was all I was advised I could take. Now I have ometprazole everyday to stop the acid build up and to protect my stomach.

I'd get a second opinion I did and it lead to being offered alternative medications and treatments such as physio.
inkyboo
UKFM Newbie

Postby FluppyPuffy » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:08 pm

Julia, it sounds like you need to go back and talk thru all the possible meds options and combos to try and find something that could help you. I know reasons for and against prescribing meds for a patient can vary from doc to doc, so maybe seeing someone else might be an idea to see what they think/suggest. Just because there is a potential interaction, it doesn't mean it will definitely happen. If you still seem to be getting nowhere, the see about being referred to a Pain Clinic or for other treatments.

On my last review, I was looking at the screen which showed my meds and the possible combos of things that could interact with each other and it was pretty :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: Had my GP just based his decision on that, I would have been walking out without anything at all. But he also bases his decisions on how the meds could also benefit me and if the benefit is potentially greater than the interaction chance, then we give it a go.

Ibuprofen and other similar meds can be hard on some people's stomachs, which is why something like omerprazole is also prescribed, but it doesn't necessarily affect everyone in the same way, so it might be worth asking about it to see if it could be alright for you to try. You could also ask about having paracetamol and codeine separately, with a bit if twiddling and tweaking you may be able to find the right dosage and times to take them so you get some relief without being sent to sleep. Alternatively, you could see about changing to a different anti~d that would be more suitable to be taken with other meds than what citalopram seems to be.

Definitely go back and see someone about this, quite often there is a way round things to give you a bit of easing in things.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Acei » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:23 pm

Just to add that I'm on citalopram and pregabalin and have been for 18 months with no issues. I've never heard of an issue between the two. Usually if my doctor doesn't catch an possibly interaction, the pharmacist would question it as it comes up on their computer when preparing the prescription.
Acei
UKFM Member

Postby anonymouse » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:50 pm

The problem your doctor might be finding is a theoretical risk of Sertatonin Syndrome with some of these drugs. Basicly a lot of these drugs work in similar ways regarding the bodies re uptake of Seratonin. I haven't heard of any problems with anyone experiencing it but that's not to say it has never happened. I imagine your doctor may not have lots of experience in treating fibromyalgia with combinations of these drugs and perhaps if your not managing your pain a referral to a pain clinic or Rhematologist could help. I can't quite remember without checking but some of these drugs are also not licenced in this country for Fibromyalgia treatment, which doesn't mean you can't be prescribed them but a doctor with more experience in this field may be more appropriate in the circumstances.

It's worth saying that Seratonin Syndrome is very serious and people should be made aware of it and the symptoms if they are being treated with combinations of similar drugs like SSRI's.

Regards to your pain specificly there are more avenues to explore. Firstly other medications that are not "pain killers" are available, similar to Amitrip, duloxetine, pregabalin and Gabapentin bit you would need a consultants opinion about these and a good place to look is the USA to see what there using (can often be found in US Fibro books.) Then your looking at specific pain relief, tramadol might be worth a try and under close supervision things like BuTrans patches etc can be used shorterm just watch out for addictions to the stronger stuff, that can be as big of a problem as Fibro itself.

Hope that helps
Anonymouse
anonymouse
UKFM Member

Postby paulamcl » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:45 pm

hi i would ask for a second opinion. he cant just send you away with that anwser. ask to be referred to a rhuemtologist and pain management classes. plus there is alternative therapies like accupuncture and physio thats avaliable on the nhs. if he isnt willing to do any of these things then i would ask to speak to a different doctor in your surgery. yes ibuprofen isnt the best for your stomach but taking the likes of omerprazole and lansoprazole help neturalize the stomach acid. There is a wide variety of drugs you can try. It is trail and error though. Drugs can work for us one day then the next they are useless. hope you get somewhere soon and feel better x
paulamcl
UKFM Member

Postby Julia123 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:27 pm

Hi and thank you all so much for taking the time to reply!

Some very interesting info here, particularly as many of you are taking Pregebalin and Citalopram. I was discharged from my Rheumy last year after being told on an off that I also had sero negative arthritis, after bad reactions to Htdroxycholochine and Suplphasalazene they said they didnt want to try Methotrexate as the symptoms were only mild RA and it was my fibro which they could do nothing about other than drugs I had already tried (amytriptalene and Gabapentin - felt no benefit from either) My pain management clinic at the same hospital gave me a tens machine (actually was them that prescribed the Amy & Gaba) and then didnt book me in again!!

I have a self referral for physio but struggling to get an appointment. Makes me feel like giving up sometimes!!!
Julia123
UKFM Newbie

Postby sknowles456 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:11 pm

i too take citalopram, cocodamol, gabapentin and oromorph so i dont know what the problem with your GP is, it know they is a slight worry with tramadol and citalopram because of Serotonin syndrome but this is very rare . I would ask to be seen at the pain clinic. x
sknowles456
UKFM Member

Return to Treatments & Medication